Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tints - Modifications ?

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2004, 01:17 PM
Cold Turkey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tints - Modifications ?

If you get your windows tinted, do Insurance companies class this as a modification ? and would they increase your premium ?

Please don't say phone them and ask because I have ! Just interested in other peoples opinions / understanding of it !
Old 29 July 2004, 02:08 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Absolutely. Cosmetic modification. The likes of Admiral & Elephant have tick boxes on their on-line quotes for different levels of tint. Only safe way is mention everything! When getting quotes I asked if having gauges installed made a difference - with Direct Line, it did; Admiral - no change. Seems most would like to know about any changes as it may affect their risk, but not necessarily your premium. Then there are some like L&V who don't seem to give a stuff!

Just not worth the hassle - if you need to claim they'll use any excuse not to pay out. Wondering if Admiral would refuse me currently as I haven't got the backbox done, though it is declared and charged for.
Old 29 July 2004, 05:06 PM
Cold Turkey
Scooby Regular

Thanks Trashman.

I assumed mods meant something which would change the performance / handling of the vehicle and only mentioned tinted windows whilst chatting to the guy who was interested in the WR1.

He then re-calculated the quote and it came back £150 more expensive

I would of taken my business elsewhere but it was still cheaper than L&V

For those interested the reasoning from the underwriters is "...if you have nothing in the car worth stealing, the thief can see your car is empty through clear windows but if you have tints then they will smash the windows to check if there is anything of value..." ?!&@!%$?
Old 29 July 2004, 05:40 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

You can only get rears and rear screen done. Limit on front 30% (i think OE its 25% anyway).

Basically you cant tint fronts (drivers side and passenger side). Your car will be unroadworthy and the insurance can rightfully not payout on claims.

Legislation on this changed earlier this year, and many people have removed theirs.

Window tinters by law cant do the fronts (above 30%) and garages cant sell car with tints on the front either.

(percentages are from memory)

Bob
Old 29 July 2004, 05:50 PM
Cold Turkey
Scooby Regular

cheers Bob. 30% was the figure mentioned by the insurance bloke and beings as its a new car coming from MK Subaru I'm sure mine will be legal