Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L&V Insurance - you're gonna love this

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2004, 07:38 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L&V Insurance - you're gonna love this

I'm currently with tescsos and it runs out soon so i thought i'd give L&V a call, got a decent quote from them and they told me that mods didnt make a difference, so i phoned back and spoke to 4 different people and they said the same thing.

I phoned to buy the policy today and told them that I wanted the mods policy in writing in a seperate letter otherwise i'm not taking out insurance with them and they said thats fine we can send you a letter. So i bought the policy there and then on the phone, knowing that if the letter didnt turn up i had 14 days to cancel.

I get a call at home this evening from a guy called Damon who informs me that they've had a recent change in policy and that they cant insure me and that they were cancelling the policy i'd bought today.

Great, I think they're up to something. All those people who get insurance and dont question the mods policy are no doubt driving without cover which could mean you might be done for driving without valid insurance and thats a jail term if you hurt someone!

I recommend that anyone who has a policy with them and doesnt have written confirmation of modifications gets in touch with them ASAP and gets one, it may be fun driving around thinking you're insured but I think they deliberately set people up like this and hope for the best.

What if i had not asked for the letter, i'd have been driving around next week thinking i'm covered when in fact i may as well have no insurance at all, and I bet you any money if I phone back tomorrow the sales guy will say that modifications dont need to be listed. The guy I spoke to said it was a training issue they were going to highlight. I'm damn sure if they had such a massive policy change that there would be a memo to ALL staff and a gigantic sign on the wall stating this as its a serious issue.

It is my opinion that they do this deliberately and they've not had a recent change of policy.

Beware, please, I dont think i'm ranting for nothing, just think how much **** you would be in if you seriously injured someone in an accident and found out that you had no legal cover and your pride and joy wasn't covered either.
Old 16 August 2004, 07:57 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it depends on who you speak to, i had a really good lass who did my insurance on my Spec C, got it all sorted without any problems even added the backbox as a modification (which it is) and they put down the engine oil cooler as an engine modification as they dont have the car listed (which they dont, they went back to the underwriters) but they did list these mods on my insurance docs when i got them back though. Too many duff students me thinks (cheap labour) as ive had the same sort of hassle from one or two companies who employ these type of people (i even work for one of the companies who i had problems with but sorted that out quite quickly by going up the ladder a lot )

Tony
Old 16 August 2004, 09:47 PM
Bullring
Scooby Regular

Angry

I've also spoken to LV on two separate occasions this week. The first time I was told that only increasing the engine capacity would affect the premium. The second time I was told that any engine modifications would increase the premium and that all other mods should be photographed and any receipts retained in case of a claim.

I've just looked on the LV web site and found the following;

We cannot insure:

So buyer beware

I was going to change to LV because their policy towards mods seemed prefect as I was planning a few extra mods this year but now I'm going to stay with Tesco and give the mods a miss.

Speaking of mods and premiums. I called Directline today after getting a very good quote online (£120 cheaper than everyone else). After I called to inform then about my mods (18" wheels and Prodrive springs) the premium went up by £300!
      Old 17 August 2004, 01:46 AM
      Dazza01
      Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Bullring
      We cannot insure:
          I brought my scooby this time last year, with mods already on it and i was told not to take any notice what the website says, and i had to make a claim earlier this year, they came, they saw, and they approved the work
          Old 17 August 2004, 12:24 PM
          Bullring
          Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dazza01
          I brought my scooby this time last year, with mods already on it and i was told not to take any notice what the website says, and i had to make a claim earlier this year, they came, they saw, and they approved the work
          thanks for the info mate
          Old 17 August 2004, 12:34 PM
          Krade
          Scooby Regular

I am in my 2nd year with L+V on a jap 95 wrxheavily modded, I just rang them to find out if it effected me.
          They said that existing policy holders will not be effected, but they are not taking on any new Business for jap/modded cars.
          Wonder whats gonna hapen come renewal next year???
          Old 17 August 2004, 02:06 PM
          Fangoria
          Scooby Regular

Krade

Nothing to you as on renewal you wont be new business

I have a Jap Import with loads of Mods

LV have always told me that they will cover the mods if you can provide receipts/Piccies

That said the car is insured at Market Value?

I'll be looking elsewhere again this year, but there are very few insurers that will look at high performance cars.......

Trending Topics

Old 17 August 2004, 02:08 PM
          Fangoria
          Scooby Regular

I see LV are now adding on Brittania Roadside cover for £49 to policies....... I have not had road cover for about 6 yrs......... is the £49 reasonable - never heard of Brittania Rescue
          Old 17 August 2004, 02:11 PM
          Krade
          Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fangoria
          Krade

Nothing to you as on renewal you wont be new business

I have a Jap Import with loads of Mods

LV have always told me that they will cover the mods if you can provide receipts/Piccies

That said the car is insured at Market Value?

I'll be looking elsewhere again this year, but there are very few insurers that will look at high performance cars.......
          yeah they are pretty keen to emphasise "Market Value"
          If they allow me to renew next year I may stay with them unless theres someoneelse offering a similar policy for Mods.
          Old 17 August 2004, 06:43 PM
          vulnax999
          Scooby Senior
          Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

When I got my scoob - Jap Import - exactly 4 years ago this week, I tried L&V as the current company = Admiral = doubled the premium over the old car ( 200 sx turbo ) and that figure was 50% over a similar UK car quote.

L&V gave me the best quote, until I phoned back to accept the quote and buy the policy, they said they assumed I was an existing customer and at that time they were not taking on any more jap import cars.
          So I had to go ewlsewhere who were slow and not mod friendly ( Yes sir, quick shift gearlever, what does this do? Shorter distance to move the gear lever, why Sir? Ohh to change gear faster hmm need to check with underwriters .. and on and on! ). Hard work.

Tried L&V again last year even though my premium went down on current company, I was being corrupted by you lot on here and started to mod ... L&V were fine, said they could take new jap imports, and got the "not interested in mods apart from engine capacity changes, no interest in mileage, occupation, where parked overnight etc." and only requirement for mods was to photograph them and keep receipts, purely so they can confirm you actually HAD these parts when you claim for their value if stolen or damaged in crash, not for increased risk as faster car!

Last time this rumour came round I also phoned them to check, and was told not to worry, that is and will remain their policy, although maybe as I was an existing customer.

Renewal in November, I'd better let this blow over and ring early October to check they will still cover the import with mods and at what price!

Neil