Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Direct Line - once again,overcharging more each passing year,so cut loose and save ££

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2004, 09:52 PM
Matty B
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Direct Line - once again,overcharging more each passing year,so cut loose and save ££

I picked up a leaflet in May at the (Brum) Motor Show from Subaru Insured. I asked for a quote a few days later and it seemed very reasonable, although my renewal wasn't due until Aug.

Direct Line have, at each renewal, gotten stroppy with their discounts, despite me having well over 9+ years protected NCB. The final straw was this month when I got my renewal, and decided to check if they had taken into account my SP30 that I advised them about last September. Back came the response "No - but thanks for that, we'll add another £85 to your premuim!" Despite my attempts to tell them that last year their advisor told me that the info was recorded, it seems nothing of the sort happened.

So, rather than be biting my nails and NOT telling them (and maybe making a claim that they could walk away from for failing to offer the info), I found that Subaru Insured got me a quote that was £106 cheaper!!

Even when I first took out the Direct Line insurance for the Scoob, (having used them with my previous car), they asked "Modifications?" I replied "yes" and they never even asked what ones?? 6 months later when i was on the phone to them, they were trying to wriggle out of it by saying I misled them???

Every year they overlooked something, and a call to them produced the required adjustment in my favour, whether its auto-renewal discounts, or mis-calculating my NCBs, or just a general "put it on the premium, see if he notices"-type of add-on.

Anybody else thinking of them, beware - I think that they are now too big for their own good (or our own good, I suppose).

Matthew
Old 19 August 2004, 09:32 PM
Matty B
Scooby Regular

time to do a "btt"
Old 19 August 2004, 10:41 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

They won't even quote me on line!
Old 22 August 2004, 07:25 PM
Matty B
Scooby Regular

Direct Line = Tescos

dont bother with either!
Old 22 August 2004, 09:05 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matty B
Direct Line = Tescos

dont bother with either!
No, i'm with tesco at the moment and they seem ok.
Old 23 August 2004, 05:32 PM
stevey
Scooby Regular

direct line also = greenflag-privilege-barclays(insurance)-tesco +more you not going to use any of these either
Old 26 August 2004, 08:59 PM
Matty B
Scooby Regular

Hi stevey
i have a platinum barclays account, and the latest "incentive" is the upgraded Green Flag service. However, it only covers ONE car, and doesnt give the benefits of home call-out etc. There's an awful lot of small print to digest!! I do however have Direct Line Rescue (full Rescue n Recovery) which is better for me and covers both my cars too. As for Tescos, Privilege and Barclays insurance, none of them ever could match D Line previously, so they aint gonna now!!
Old 26 August 2004, 10:58 PM
DaveBlueRA
Scooby Regular

Have you got a number for Subaru Insured

cheers
Old 27 August 2004, 09:23 PM
Matty B
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up SUBARU INSURED

Originally Posted by DaveBlueRA
Have you got a number for Subaru Insured

cheers
sure thing!!

its 0870 770 6220- thats the number for a quote. I've spoken to a couple of people there - Craig and Dean, plus one of the directors, Tom. Nice bunch of guys, very helpful and not like your usual "insurance tele-sales agents" at all

They did ask the usual question which ALWAYS makes me smile - "does it have any modifications sir?" FIND ME A HALF-DECENT SCOOBY THAT DOESN'T!!!

Give em a call, you never know. Would be keen to find out how you got on too. Email me if you like - or post here!!

Matthew
Old 28 August 2004, 12:09 AM
CraigMac
Scooby Regular

ive had the same problems with direct line
Old 28 August 2004, 06:40 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

My Mrs is with DL for her Clio, which we're taking to France, so we phoned to check we're covered for driving in Europe. Even though we have fully comp insurance, we're only covered TPFT in France unless we pay another £15! This despite the fact that their own leaflet tells us our policy includes European motoring free of charge...
Old 28 August 2004, 08:26 PM
scoobyjimbo
Scooby Regular

Direct line attract you with initial lower premiums and then in my experience hike up your renewal by stupoid amounts even when you have not claimed. For example i started with direct line for my STI7 i had 8 years NCB, clean license (just!) and lived in a safe postcode with offstreet parking.. First quotation was for 750 per year which i was pleased with. Then the next year with no poliucy changes or claims, they quote me £1500 for my renewal, now how do they manage to come up with a figure double that of last years.. So i rang them and asked them why and they just said that is the price.. so I said bye.. went with elephant who quoted me £700..
I have heard from a few mates at work who direct linme have done this too.. i guess they dont reward loyalty and cant be bothered to keep their customers...
J
Old 30 August 2004, 10:02 PM
Matty B
Scooby Regular

hmmm.......Direct Line means a direct line to your wallet unless you swap insurers methinks. I know that the carrot is to give you a cheap first year premium, but they are just extracting the urine by doubling it for "scoobyjimbo" above. Or asking for an extra amount to take a French car to France - what's that all about????

I guess the moral of the tale is to move insurers every year to get maximum benefit from their offers, unless the renewal premium is too good to pass by.

Matthew
Old 30 August 2004, 10:59 PM
stevey
Scooby Regular

i'm with privilege was going to change until i got my renewal just gone down by £380 because they are going back to non standard and young drivers which when direct line first took them over they didnt want anymore wonder if business was falling
Old 03 September 2004, 09:33 PM
Matty B
Scooby Regular

Good for you mate!! That'll give you an extra 2000 miles of super-unleaded

Matthew
Old 03 September 2004, 10:29 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Matty,
Try L&V I found them very good

Tony
Old 04 September 2004, 02:37 AM
sosobad.com
Scooby Regular

i agree, liverpool and victoria are very cheap.
Old 04 September 2004, 12:46 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sosobad.com
i agree, liverpool and victoria are very cheap.
Ive got an sti 4 at the mo. Im 21 so tescos are crusifying me at present. Anyone know of an insurance company that insures under 25s on imports. Have 3 years no claims, and a racing license. However, last company I told that to said that that makes me more of a risk!!! Hows that??? Like to see them get out of a blowout etc.
Old 04 September 2004, 02:25 PM
sosobad.com
Scooby Regular

Well i rang an insurance company for you - they said we dont usually do under 25s on such powerful cars and said theu quote will be 2k a year nearer to 3k.

sorry mate ill keep looking for you...im a nice guy lol
Old 04 September 2004, 05:34 PM
devon03
Scooby Regular

switched to tesco new sti ppp £700 fully protected

took details of the ppp and this is listed on schedule
Old 04 September 2004, 05:56 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by devon03
switched to tesco new sti ppp £700 fully protected

took details of the ppp and this is listed on schedule
That's what my first one was with Tesco's following years went up and up

I also totally agree get Mods listed on Schedule I was told by L&V no need for it to be written on it, it's logged on a PC I paid £16.80p to hacve PPP put on schedule( as exhaust, ECU an 10%power gain) as they didn't reconise PPP then

Tony