Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will it get cheaper ?

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2004, 02:13 PM
prelude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will it get cheaper ?

Hi all

I have my 97 impreza turbo insured with elephant.co.uk £1300 ish fully comp , i am 23 ( 22 when i took out the policy) and i have 5 years protected no claims .

My question to you all is will insuring my fav car get cheaper or will companys keep charging the earth?.

Any light on the subject would be great .

Cheers Dan
Old 30 November 2004, 02:38 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Will never be "cheap", but my 93 WRX cost me £530 this year (27 yo, 9 years NCB)

Might actually go up with all the chavs able to buy one for about £4k now
Old 30 November 2004, 02:44 PM
prelude
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossyboy
Will never be "cheap", but my 93 WRX cost me £530 this year (27 yo, 9 years NCB)

Might actually go up with all the chavs able to buy one for about £4k now
Yea good point it just seems Stupid
that they consider the impreza so high risk!!

May be i didnt shop around enough at the time ????. .

Dan
Old 30 November 2004, 03:01 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Seems like a decent enough price you're paying for your age. Must point out I live in a Cat A area with an £820 excess and max 6k miles per year.
Old 30 November 2004, 03:13 PM
JamesPRJones
Scooby Regular

You should always shop around every year because insurance companies know most people can't be bothered to do so, and so will pump up the renewal premium. When you are 25 and 30 there is a 'significant' drop (if you can call it that) in premiums. Now that you have 5 years (maximum) NCB, any additional years won't make a difference.

There are little things that you can do to reduce your premium legally.
1. If your mileage is approx. 8000 a year, put in 7999. There are bandings on mileage that can make the difference. I had a £50 drop in my premium by doing this and it was only £580 to start with.
2. If your car is valued at £8000 put in £7999. Similar to above, but doesn't seem to have as much effect now because most insurers take market value.
3. Put your wife/girlfriend on the policy as a named driver (if she has a good clean license), even if you have no intention of her driving it. This reduced my premium by 5% and on the occasional time I get pissed she can drive home. ;-))
4. Always read this forum before renewing because every year someone posts that a company is much cheaper than normal. LVG last year, Privilege seem to be a favourite this year.

James
Old 30 November 2004, 03:17 PM
JamesPRJones
Scooby Regular

Forgot to add.
5. Up the excess. 2 years ago when I first went with LVG they gave me a quote of about £650 and £200 excess. I asked about upping the excess and they said I could have a premium of £470 and excess of £400. As I had been driving 15 years without any claims I bit his arm off. Basically a £20 risk for a £180 reduction for me to continue claim free. It's like paying for a third of the premium at the end of the year only if I make a claim.

James
Old 01 December 2004, 07:22 AM
prelude
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that james , i have my girlfriend on the policy , i guess i will shop around more next year and see what i find.
I just get so fed up with all ringing round and the standing on one leg crap that you have to do with the insurers just to get a quote.
I am amazed that some people on here of the same age pay less than me . (RANT OVER ) .

Thanks Dan
Old 01 December 2004, 11:40 AM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Short answer is, no, it won't get cheaper. You've already got 5 years no claims. Most insurers will give you 60 - 65% discount for that but that is a maximum. In other words, if you don't make any claims before your next renewal and then have 6 years no claims, you'll still only have 60 - 65%.

The basic price of your cover will go up, so even with full no claims your cost will go up if you stick with the same insurer .

As others have suggested, it is best to look around when you get your renewal as costs vary considerably between insurers (as does the service they provide when you make a claim). A couple of years back when I was insured with Direct Line nobody could beat their renewal quote (which was only slightly higher than the previous year). This year, their renewal price was up quite a bit and shopping around showed that esure beat everyone else.
Old 02 December 2004, 07:50 AM
prelude
Scooby Regular

yea , Thanks for the advice mate , i thought that shopping around is dead but i guess its not and their are still deals to be had on insurance out their somewhere?.
I will shop abit harder next year and make my self try everyone i can .
Thanks again dan .