Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Under 21

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2005, 10:02 PM
chumhill
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Under 21

Hi,

Im 20 years old and i am trying to get insurance on my 2001 subaru impreza 2.0 turbo. I cannot find anywhere who will insure me can anyone help?

Thanks
Ashley
Old 03 January 2005, 10:29 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

good luck
Old 03 January 2005, 10:37 PM
vava voom
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

You got more chance of growing wings and flying to the moon!

Im sorry to say but unless you have about £4k available for insurance , i dont think you will get it anywhere!!

Try putting the car and insurance in your dads name??
Old 03 January 2005, 11:38 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

this year it looks like the main insurers of youn driver such as tesco's have said over 25 only

as said you will find it hard... im 23 and Im only with tesco's because they are renewing policys only
Old 04 January 2005, 08:35 AM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

How about Elephant, they covered me on the WR1 at 25 and with the missus as a named driver when she was 22.

A lot of the companies who'd cover me as i was 25 then wouldn'd quote due to her age.
Old 04 January 2005, 08:47 AM
Tentenths
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chumhill
Hi,

Im 20 years old and i am trying to get insurance on my 2001 subaru impreza 2.0 turbo. I cannot find anywhere who will insure me can anyone help?

Thanks
Ashley
How about looking through the numerous existing "I'm 20/21/22/23/24" threads in this section?
Old 04 January 2005, 12:54 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 hopes, bob and none - unless youve got a few grand or more.
Best bet would be to insure it under your dad.

Andy

Im 25 and i still pay through the nose with FNC bonus
Old 04 January 2005, 03:57 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your best bet would be to buy a real cheap < 1 litre old banger, store it somewhere and insure it in your name through one of the companies listed in this thread:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=387484

They will insure drivers under 25 with a claus in the policy that lets you drive any car not belonging to you 3rd party, you would then have to put the scooby in someone else's name, and be willing to accept if you write it off then you get nothing back.

You could also try putting it in your dads name as others have said, though from personal experience even if he's 60 and has 30 years without an accident, with a 20 year old also without accident on the policy your looking at around 2G.

Best of luck
Old 08 January 2005, 01:53 PM
New_scooby_04

Hiya,

My advice would be to get some NCB with a less costly car. Driving around third party only is an invitation for disaster! Can you afford to loose whatever the car would cost? At your age, if you do manage to get a fully comprehensive quote, it'll be around 4k

Wthout wanting to be patronising, can you also afford to run the car? Optimax at about 22mpg, less if you put you're foot down. £90 for interim services (every six months) £400+ for major services. £100 per corner for a tyre, £140 for decent brake pads and so on.....

At the risk of sounding really patronising (sorry!) Also ask yourself whether you can be trusted with the car, even std ones are seriously fast and if you're getting it with the intention of booting it everywhere, you'll loose your licence and possibly much worse very quickly. These cars may be 4WD etc, but contrary to what you read in magazines, they need to be treated with respect, or they will bite!

Scoobies may be becomming cheap to buy, but they are not cheap to run. If you don't look after them properly, it's clatter, clatter, bang bang! An engine rebuild will set you back about 2.5K.

Personally, I think you'd be well advised to wait!

Best wishes,
Old 08 January 2005, 06:48 PM
edmy716
Scooby Regular

Wthout wanting to be patronising, can you also afford to run the car? Optimax at about 22mpg, less if you put you're foot down. £90 for interim services (every six months) £400+ for major services. £100 per corner for a tyre, £140 for decent brake pads and so on.....

At the risk of sounding really patronising (sorry!) Also ask yourself whether you can be trusted with the car, even std ones are seriously fast and if you're getting it with the intention of booting it everywhere, you'll loose your licence and possibly much worse very quickly. These cars may be 4WD etc, but contrary to what you read in magazines, they need to be treated with respect, or they will bite!

i was 19 wen i got my first scooby it was a 94jdm and i loved it!! never bumped or blew any engine live life to the full enjoy it while u can ur a long time dead do becareful though!, my current insurance is 2200 with endlseigh my bird is 27 so that helps but i did pay 3500 for my other.
Old 08 January 2005, 08:07 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX_Rich
this year it looks like the main insurers of youn driver such as tesco's have said over 25 only

as said you will find it hard... im 23 and Im only with tesco's because they are renewing policys only
Glad you posted that!
I'm 23 as well and with Tesco's,
Glad they are still renewing policy's, I'm not suprised they are tightening up though, I struggled when I got my scooby 6 months ago!