Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switching to admiral - does this sound right?

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2005, 03:21 PM
Spruxxx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Switching to admiral - does this sound right?

Hello all,

I'm hoping someone who's more knowledgable about motor insurance can confirm whether this is 'normal' or not...

I'm now the happy owner of a MY05 WRX, bought just before the end of April 2005. Prior to that I had a Ford for seven years, six of those with Direct Line and therefore 6yrs protected no claims. I'd never made a claim ever up to this point.

Whilst ordering the Scoob, I also arranged for my new insurance, with Admiral, to start from the date of receiving the car. During this time unfortunately, I had a scrape with the Ford and another car - nothing too bad, it required a new number plate and repainted bumper. But it was still a claim, and I agreed to accept fault (I don't necessarily think it was, but never mind).

This meant that although I was able to cancel my policy with Direct Line, I couldn't get a copy of my no claims doc from them until the claim was fully processed. Talk about bad timing!

As Admiral (who were second cheapest at £800, only Privilege would beat them at £750 but I don't have the right kind of Tracker to qualify - something the dealer got very wrong!) were unable to get the proof in time, eventually I had to continue without my no claims - this cost me an extra £460, which Admiral said they would mostly refund - but only from the date of receving proof. An unexpected and annoying hassle for me, but at least I could see the point...

Well, I was finally able to send Admiral the proof a week ago, and I called them today to chase up what was happening. The customer support girl went off for a few minutes to check, and then came back to tell me that:

a) they had received the no claims form - good
b) I was entitled to my 6 years no claims - good, but here's the catch...
c) my base fee had gone up by £480 - so, instead of getting any of my £460 cash back as I was expecting, I now owe them £20! The total f***ers!

So, to cut a long story short (sorry, rant over now), is this right? What's the point of spending money for Protected NCD for six years, only to be hit with this when I want to put it to use?!!? GRRR...

And if I decide to ditch Admiral and go to Aplan or somebody else, is this going to be the same everywhere?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated, cheers.

Spruxxx
Old 16 June 2005, 06:21 PM
Squadron-Leader
Scooby Regular

Unlucky Spruxxx

So you had 6 years protected NCD with Direct Line? and they've sent proof to Admiral of the protected NCD? yet your insurance has gone up?

I can only think the amount has gone up due to your claim with Direct Line being within the last few months, and the fact it was your fault.

The computer system must have marked you as a high risk (due to this fact) and put the cost up. Normally the NCD (protected or not) will knock a large chunk of the amount you have to pay.

Did you ask Admiral why the base had suddenly gone up? In all fairness, if they've put the amount up because the computer system marked you as a high risk.... then they should have told you that when you took the policy out.

You'll not be doing any modding for a while then?

J.
Old 17 June 2005, 03:09 PM
Spruxxx
Scooby Regular

Hey Squadron Leader,

thanks for the reply. Yep, I've got 6 years no claims at the moment and Direct Line have sent me my no claims proof, which i faxed on to admiral last week.

But it looks like my first claim is going to wipe me out. i get the impression that if i hadn't protected my no claims, i possibly wouldn't be able to afford to keep my car insured! Well, at something like £1500+, it would certainly be a much bigger dent than I anticipated...

They would only say on the phone that the base had gone up because of the claim. I need to speak to an independent adviser and have this clarified, and also speak to another insurer like Aplan, explain everything in excruciating detail, and see how much they quote me...

And no, it certainly doesn't look like I'll be doing much modding in the near future!!!

Thanks,

Spruxxx