Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a sinister plot?

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2005, 11:33 AM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a sinister plot?

Before I start my conspiracy theory and **** everyone up, please bear in mind that this is only an opinion, not based on evidence but a hunch. I hope it does not happen, and for the time being it is not an issue whilst quotes remain low, but.........

A-plans Thatcham office seem to have a pretty remarkable arrangement going with the underwriters Markerstudy, which means that a vast majority of people posting in this forum seems to end up placing their business with them at the moment, some at crazy premiums which simply dont look right.

The level of this business coming from this office alone seems to be phenomenal, and all of it is underwritten by Markerstudy - who are relatively unknown. And these rates seem to have been a fairly recent occurrence.

I just wonder whether this may end up kicking us all in the bollocks next year if Markerstudy is offering these rates as a loss leader in preparation for hiking rates on scoobies next year. This may sound cynical, but Insurers from time to time do this as part of their business strategy, preying on the fact that a large number of people are attracted by the low premiums in year one, and in year two some will stay with them purely out of convenience, irrespective of the price, and the profit made from these customers offests the customers that they lose a a direct result of this strategy.

It just worries me that in many cases, people are buying scoobies on the back of a quote from Aplan which is £5/600 cheaper than the next nearest quote. If these special rates stop, a lot of us are going to be selling up this time next year imho.

I know most on here are price sensitive and would not make the mistake of staying with them if they did hike the rates, but how many would be effectively scoobyless if A-plan stopped quoting these low rates?

If anyone from Aplan is reading, I am really grateful for the service you are currently providing, but it doesnt seem sustainable, and of it is not, you could be leaving a lot of owners in a mess when it comes to renewal.

Or am I just excessively paranoid?
Old 18 June 2005, 05:47 PM
markus_UK
Scooby Regular

I did wonder .. (I am now with A-plan, about £100 less that L&V)

Firstly I think most that have a scooby are price sensitive. if A-plan tried to shaft me next year I would move on. In my opinion they are cheaper - by some margin - but perhaps not enough to 'make or break' someone having or not having a scooby... Therefore I do not think there will be many who would need to get rid of the scooby ...

My more positive take is that I think they have taken a calculated risk - I think they have used this site because so many of us are really 'into our cars' - and despite the performance, actually want to look after the car - we value it (hell we spend enough on it)..... I would like to think that A-Plan are being a bit redical by not simply assuming that someone driving a high performance car is a greater risk. I also think it is important to note that they do not advertise in 'Fast Car' 'Chav Mag' or similar - they are not looking for 'chaved up SAXO drivers' .....

Just my take on this...

cheers

Mark
Old 18 June 2005, 08:10 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I have thought is also.
Personally I'm dreading next year. I didn't go with APlan, but with someone else (same price), but apart from these 2, all other quotes were just silly. It's the PPP that buggers it. Hopefully this time next year, more companies will realise that PPP is a factory option, not just a backstreet spanner tune up job.
Paying £1200 now. God know's what it will go to next year. I hope below £1500. Any more then I might have to consider trading in. If it goes too near £2000, I will.
It's true what you say, not every one who drives a Scooby is a "race it in a 30 zone Chav".
Old 23 June 2005, 03:39 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

I work for an insurance broker and have seen this happen many times!!!!

More than likely yes the premiums will rise next year, because they are putting far too much business with one company at not enough premium to cover the inevitable losses.

Remember a few years ago when Tesco were beating everyone with very cheap premiums? Now they have been stung, hence why they are now an average priced company.

Sorry to disappoint anyone
Old 23 June 2005, 03:45 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

''My more positive take is that I think they have taken a calculated risk - I think they have used this site because so many of us are really 'into our cars' - and despite the performance, actually want to look after the car - we value it (hell we spend enough on it)..... I would like to think that A-Plan are being a bit redical by not simply assuming that someone driving a high performance car is a greater risk. I also think it is important to note that they do not advertise in 'Fast Car' 'Chav Mag' or similar - they are not looking for 'chaved up SAXO drivers' .....''

I don't actually they choose just this site, i think (and i could be wrong) they just knock a few quid off your quote if you put a post on whatever website you're a member of, hence the amount of A-Plan threads on here.

Just cheap advertising!!!!!
Old 23 June 2005, 08:47 PM
markus_UK
Scooby Regular

Ok OK ...

Well if it aint the best value it gets ditched next year...

Mark
Old 26 June 2005, 11:18 AM
rgv_stu
Scooby Regular

well so far im happy with them...
and im during the process of a claim against me, when i reversed into someone.
and i must say that thats the first accident in 9 years of driving and both markerstudy and a-plan have been great.
just hope my insurance dont go up loads next year