Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Protected NCB

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2001, 08:14 PM
gareth
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My current policy has max NCD (70% I think) and is protected (2 claims in any 3 years). This year I had an accident, judged to be my fault and settled by my insurers.

With renewal coming up, I shouldn't have lost any NCD but will I get a higher premium having had an accident? Also, what is the situation if I want to change insurers? I'm sure I have to admit to the accident, but can I still claim a full NCD?

Cheers for any info
Old 03 March 2001, 09:07 PM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Cool

Although you will still have your NCB I'm afraid your premium will go up due to the claim. The premium is worked out, including the loading for a claim and then your ncb discount is taken off.

If you change insurers you will still have your NCB but you will have to declare the accident.
Old 05 March 2001, 11:59 AM
PaulL
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Doc:
<B>If you change insurers you will still have your NCB but you will have to declare the accident.[/quote]

On a similar note: I had to make a claim on my wife's car's insurance this year. So, when my Scooby renewal comes in (insured with a different company) will I have to get them to requote after declaring the accident?

Paul
Old 05 March 2001, 04:28 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Paul,

If you have been involved in an incident that has been dealt with by an insurer then you should definately advise your own insurers at renewal. It doesn't matter that the claim was not on your policy or that the claim went in your favour...it is still a material fact and your details will be logged on the C.L.U.E data-base (a database of all uk motoring (and maybe all other personal) claims.

For example, last Wednesday I was hit by a Third Party on the way to my office. We exchanged details, and both agreed fairly amicably that it was HIS fault. His insurers (Privalege) called me, agreed the repair estimate from my dealer and arranged a courtesy car...repairs will be carried out, and my insurers will be non the wiser! However I will still have to advise them of the incident at renewal...just for their records.

Cheers

Tom
Old 06 March 2001, 11:01 AM
gareth
Scooby Regular

Rum

Any ideas what sort of loading I could expect on my next renewal - in percentage terms? Approx £2K damage to my car, definitely less to the other party though not sure how much.

Cheers,
Gareth

Old 06 March 2001, 05:13 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Gareth,

The loading applied by insurers varies from company to company...so it would not really be fair of me to quote a figure. I wouldn't worry too much tho...generally the loading is not that much. The main problem is trying to get alternate quotes - thats when the incident tends to affect premium quotations most.

The No Claims Discount (generally 30% for 1 year, 40% for 2, 50% for 3, 60% for 4 and 65% for 5+) is the last discount to be applied to the policy i.e after all other discounts and loading have been applied.

Sorry for being so vague...just the way it is

Rum

[This message has been edited by Rum* (edited 06 March 2001).]
Old 06 March 2001, 10:53 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

I phoned Eagle Star Direct about a year ago, to get an insurance quote and was asked:

"Have you had more 3 or more accidents in the last 3 years REGARDLESS OF BLAME?"

I had in fact had 3 accidents, only one of which was my fault (the other 2 were settled without the involvement of my insurance company since the other party admitted full liability), so I replied yes. They replied:

"We're sorry but we cannot give you a quote"

It seems that this company penalises you for being unlucky. Its not surprising that people don't disclose all information if this is how we are treated.

D.