Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering purchase....

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2001, 04:33 AM
JohnM
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi! (first post - couldnt sleep and stumbled upon the site )

Ive done a search of the threads about insurance, and was surpised to see that quite a lot of younger folks had managed to get insured - and many of the quotes seemed Ok.

Ive been wanting an Impreza Turbo for a few years but thought I would have to wait till I was at least the other side of 25 - perhaps not.

Just wanted to know what the current climate is for any of the younger guys who have got insured recently (some of the threads I looked at were a few months old I think).

Im 22 (25/10/78), 5 years driving, about 2 no claims (I was on company insurance for the first 3), finish uni in a month or so, BR6 postcode.....

Im currently driving a New Beetle (dont all laugh at once ) and the insurance is (wait for it) £1700+ Its on 18", with a small roof top spoiler,and large boot spoiler. Its the 2.0, and I was planning to ether upgrade to the 1.8T, or try and squeeze some more power out of the pile of doggy doo under my bonnet. But that would push the insurance over £2k - for whats still gonna be a slow car, thats crazy.

As some of the quotes were around that, what do you think my chances are?!

If I can get into a Scooby in the next couple of months for similar or slightly more insurance, I think it would be worth it, dont you?!

Sorry to waffle - Its late! And dont think Im lazy - I will be making some phonecalls when I get a free moment (final exam next week ).

Thanks for any help/advice. With any luck I could be a fellow owner sooner than I thought!

John

P.S. and sorry for all the smileys!

[This message has been edited by JohnM (edited 25 May 2001).]
Old 25 May 2001, 08:43 AM
DeerHunter
Scooby Regular

Red face

Get ready, 23 (09/03/78), 4 yrs NCD, no points etc. Liverpool (posh area - if there is one). Tracker and Cat 1 Alarm + Imobiliser, 1997 R Turbo with prodrive performance pack. - Best quote £2370!!
Old 25 May 2001, 08:54 AM
ed the dead
Scooby Regular

I'm 22 with 5 years NCb, 5 years driving experiance and 3 point (for dangerous parking :eek . I pay just over £1000 on my sport special (not a turbo, but looks like one ) - not too bad at all I think!!

ps, we like smilies
Old 25 May 2001, 03:23 PM
JohnM
Scooby Newbie

Cheers guys...

I can handle about £2k, as that is just slightly more than what Im paying on a 2.Ol beetle anyway - I think its so much cos VW havent got off their butts and got the security thatcham approved yet (although, apparently, it would pass with flying colours).

Ill let you guys know how I get on when I get a chance to phone around, next week probably.

John
Old 25 May 2001, 08:34 PM
real_welshboy
Scooby Regular

Im 23 3yrs no claims, 3 pts for an sp30 in july 1996, no claims, fully comp with direct line £1596, not bad at all I think. Well im quite happy anyway.
Old 25 May 2001, 08:35 PM
ScoobyDan
Scooby Regular

John,

I'm 24, with 4 yrs NCD, and I was quoted around £900 for a '97 UK Turbo. In the end I decided to get an Impreza Sport, with £600 insurance (with Privilege). My insurance is now up for renewal, and Tesco's are quoting £480, with less excess (£250 instead of £300). Bargain!

I can't wait until August, as I will be 25 and the insurance should drop by another few quid!

Daniel
Old 26 May 2001, 08:24 PM
JohnM
Scooby Newbie

Cheers guys

Another thing - is there gonna be any difference in insurance between a 4 door and a 5 door?

Would prefer the saloon, but at the end of the day if a wagon is cheaper to insure at all, it may be worth considering.

Just trying to grasp any opportunity to get a decent insurance quote!!

John

[This message has been edited by JohnM (edited 26 May 2001).]
Old 26 May 2001, 09:02 PM
Maxy_UK
Scooby Regular

Hi John

Im also a 22 year old student, 6 points, 4yrs no claims, nice postcode, cat 1 alarm on an X reg 4dr turbo......im paying £1500.

Ian

PS: about the upgrading of you VW. I used to have a MK3 golf and was considering a VR6 supercharged transplant.....i didnt go down that route because the scoob is faster and handles better and the insurance is lower.

[This message has been edited by Maxy_UK (edited 26 May 2001).]
Old 26 May 2001, 11:26 PM
JohnM
Scooby Newbie

Maxy_UK --> I find it amazing that you are the same age as me, have 6 points, and are driving around in an X reg Turbo....and your insurance is lower than mine on a W reg New Beetle!!! Its crazy... and a bit ! I fthe beetle was quick that would be a different matter......

I can see it is going to be annoying, and at times highly amusing, getting myself a quote!!

Have to ask Maxy-Uk - who are you with?
Old 29 May 2001, 12:13 AM
Maxy_UK
Scooby Regular

Hi John

I recently renewed my premium.....at the moment im with a co. called Endsleigh (i only have the number for the edinburgh branch) 0131 2284878, they do a special rate for students.

Another co. that was quoting around that mark was O.P.I - 0870 2420800.

Good luck with your phoning around, i was on the phone for 2 days non stop and ended up going back to the place i was insured with in the first place

Ian
Old 29 May 2001, 05:45 AM
JohnM
Scooby Newbie

Talking

Been doing some internet quotes - most say that I need to phone up etc.....should have enough time to sit on the phone all day at the end of the week

I know that they are far from definitive, but as a guide my best so far is about £2300.

Its a lot of money. Hopefully, speaking on the phone in person, I would be able to get it down a bit. However, it is within reach - would settle for around the £2k mark - but hopefully less....

Could be hope yet!!
Old 29 May 2001, 10:16 AM
Iain Cockburn
Scooby Regular

....Your mad to be paying over 2k to insure a car. Is it really worth it?. Okay so I only pay just over £700 fully comp with 3yrs NCP and I'm 28 on my98 Turbo. If I was you I'd wait a little longer and save the money then you can put it towards a P1 and insure it for less than you are being quoted now at 22.

Good luck.
Old 29 May 2001, 10:42 AM
JohnM
Scooby Newbie

Cool

I didnt really make myself clear - I only got 2 or 3 internet quotes back and that was the best - hopefully a long way to go....

I dont want to pay £2k or over but.....

...when you compare it to the Beetle that Im driving (just a whisker under £2K to insure ) then you can see where Im coming from - if Im paying that much in the first place then I would prefer to have a car that warrants higher insurance premiums...

Hopefully, once I get round to ringing people up, I will be able to get a realistic quote - sub £1.5K would be good.....

I wont pay stupid money, but I will settle for what some of the guys on here are paying.

As for the P1......if only I had the will power to do that

John

Old 29 May 2001, 07:34 PM
David1982
Scooby Regular

Mate, if I were that 'old', I would be laughing - me being a mear 19 year old!
Old 31 May 2001, 10:07 AM
slippyr4
Scooby Regular

I'm 22, 3yrs NCB, no points, driving 6 years, niceish postcode.

car is 01Y Uk WRX saloon.

my premium is £1360 with direct line.

Old 31 May 2001, 08:07 PM
LeonWells
Scooby Regular

Talking

Just thought id let you know how much i paid, im 22, 4 years NCB, 3 Points and on a 99 UK Turbo im paying £1500, i thought this was good but some seem to have it even cheaper.

Id say go for it, if your paying more than that allready you may aswell. Id agree with what some others have said about the profit in this, when i was rining round companies would quote MASSIVE figures then drop them by Hundreds, its crazy but people like us are paying it!

good luck

Leon