Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RAC Insurance - mods major problem

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2001, 06:53 PM
sasim
Used to work here!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got off the phone to my insurers, RAC, the girl has just advised me that they will not cover me if I replace the front callipers on my MY96 with standatd 4 pot ones from a MY00. She could not offer an explanation, only that the supervisor said no.

Now we all know that insurance companies can be illogical at times, but this is really taking the p**s. I have never heard of a company refusing cover for a brake upgrade, especially when using standard manufacturers parts.

So I guess I have to start looking for a new insurer, cos this is the second major problem I have had with the RAC in the month or so I have been with them.

Stuart
Old 18 June 2001, 07:26 PM
sasim
Used to work here!!

Update......

After the last post I decided that this could not be right and called them again...I wish I hadn't.

Gentleman explained that they did not cover any brake modifications full stop. When I told him that they arleady covered my EBC disks and pads and MRT support bracket, he said that they had no record of this. Luckily (well actually not, that should be purposefully!!) I have a letter from them dated 30/05/2001 confirming they know of the mods. When I told him about the letter, he disapeared off to check (leaving me on hold for nearly 10 minutes). He then came back and told me that I should not be covered for the current mods, and that they should not have been accepted. He is going to speak to the manager of the underwriters tomorrow to find out what is going on, and call me back, but things don't look good.

I think that the old 3 strike rule will come into play here !!!

Stuart

Old 18 June 2001, 07:50 PM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

Strange this.

I called RAC insurance about a month ago to tell them about the Magnex ctr/backbox that I had fitted as well as my wheel upgrade. The response was that as the value of the mods was <£2500 they would cover me without even needing details.

Think I might call and confirm this tomorrow.

Laurence
Old 18 June 2001, 09:59 PM
sasim
Used to work here!!

Thumbs down

That's what I was told when I took out the policy, you'd better get confirmation in writing that they are happy with your mods.

Stuart
Old 23 June 2001, 12:54 PM
sasim
Used to work here!!

Angry

For those of you who are interested.

Got an answer from RAC/AXA today, they have agreed that they will continue to cover my existing mods (very good of them considering we agreed them in writing a month ago!!), but say that if I do anything else to the vehicle they will cancel the policy.

When I got the policy I was told that they would cover any mods which did not increase power (pretty much what lpitt was told), this was obviously incorrect (for whatever reason which I cannot speculate on!!) But I will fire off a nasty letter to them tomorrow asking for an explanation.

Needless to say, I now have to start looking again for insurance, as I will cancel my RAC policy. I've never cancelled a 1 month old policy before.

For reference my mods are:

EBC disks and pads
GGR Quickshift
MRT brake support bracket
Front seats
Lockwood white dials
16" gold alloys

Hardly high risk mods !!

Stuart