Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WRX MY05 Insurance with PPP

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2005, 11:02 PM
RJL_WRX05
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX MY05 Insurance with PPP

Had a MY 05 WRX for about 6 weeks now and have caught the performance bug that I claimed I had grown out of! Had a VR6 previously and gotta say the WRX is a storming car.

Anyhow I am insured with direct line and rang them RE amending my policy for the addition of PPP. Naturally they claim that as the car never had PPP from new this would be classed as an exhaust/ECU modification (upto 20% increase in BHP). This in turn will add £154 to the policy and increase my accidental excess from 250 upto 400. I am 31 with 6yrs no claims and pay £650 with protected no claims. Seems like a substantial increase to me. I thought other than the WRX 300 none of the cars came with PPP from new and that they had to be fitted post registration.

I know there are loads of threads on this but any advice would be appreciated.

By the way what have others paid for PPP (supply and fit) and also what have u paid on insurance. I get the feeling that Direct Line are stinging me for an amendment to the policy and imagine it would be adifferent story if I was a new customer again!!

Oh and by the way is PPP really worth the money? Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Old 18 November 2005, 08:59 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Also have MY05 WRX and have to say that as PPP never comes as a factory fitted package, ultimately the car could never be registered (initially) as a WRX PPP simply because it would not pass emissions - hence the reason Subaru have to fit it afterwards. This is regardless whether it's 2 mins or 2 months afterwards, as it's not a factory fitted item, and is therefore aftermarket add-ons. So you are far better going to an insurance company (the main ones are frequently mentioned on here) that knows what a PPP is and provides many other people with similar cars cover.

The WRX300 is interesting - it would be good to know if this is listed as a car in it's own right, as I would suspect not.

My insurance (originally with L&V when I bought the car in Sept 2004), which was one of the first MY05 in the country and the very first crystal grey (ha!), went up about £150 with PPP which is not too bad. I now pay £670 (approx) for this car with the PPP via Gary Moulsen which was the best deal I could get. This is garaged, full NCB, no points and a 35 year old.

In regards your other question, I paid £1440 for PPP (joined SIDC simply to get the 10% discount it offers) and took it to a dealer who gave the discount.

And as others have said, PPP is NOT worth the money. The question is whether it is worth it to you to keep the factory warranty? For me it was, but my car will be up for sale soon, as to be honest, it's not as good as I thought it would be, and very different to my previous Subaru back in 2000 that was modded and far more fun. It;s true what they say - the classics are the best...

Andy
Old 18 November 2005, 03:09 PM
RJL_WRX05
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply Andy.

Direct Line told me that the WRX 300 does actually have its own insurance rating as it has 261bhp from new rather than 225 (i.e. it actually classes as a WRX 300 on the log book). Think I have read this on a thread on here somewhere too.

The problem is that as I have just taken out the insurance policy with Direct Line and they will charge me £60 cancellation fee so maybe I will have to stand the cost of £150 until next renewal.

I know PPP isn't worth the money but I have managed to get a good deal on it (£1,000 all in which is still a lot of money in my opinion for an exhaust and a re-chip) so thought I wud go for it as keeping my warranty is essential to me.

Although I have read a lot on this, has anyone got PPP and not really noticed that much difference to the standard car. I have read the PDF download from Subaru/Prodrive detailing the graphs and claimed figures etc but would like to hear from people who are either "chuffed to bits" with PPP or "mmm its alright I suppose"

There must be loads of people out there who have an opinion on this. I have never been one to modify cars as I worry about reliability, re-sale, cost v improvement in peformance etc. Further comments would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Old 18 November 2005, 04:59 PM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Mate, be careful that you`re not going to make the same mistake I did when I bought my new WRX earlier this year.

Initially, it was standard like yours, but it wasn`t long before I was on here and reading all about how good PPP was. I duly had it done, and yes, it made a BIG difference to the performance. It`s not really the foot-to-the-floor acceleration difference that you`ll notice (although it is better), but it is the increased torque in each gear, which is VERY noticeable, and really does improve overall driving enjoyment. IMHO, the PPP takes the WRX into a performance league that is rarely matched, on the road anyway, by anything around the same price.

Now for my mistake...........................Even though I was quite happy with my WRX PPP, I started to hanker after a go in an STi (it`s this bloody forum you know, it gets under your skin, as does the Scoob ), and again, I found the opportunity to drive one before long.

I immediately loved it, and knew that it was the Scoob that I should`ve bought in the first place. So yes.....................you guessed it, I went out and bought a second-hand STi PPP, and lost loads of money on my WRX. Foolish I know, but stuff it, you only live once etc, etc.

But anyway, the moral of the story is : Do not get your WRX PPP`d if you`ve ANY inkling at all that it may not be enough for you, as you will probably want to change before too long. Of course, if you`re happy with your WRX, then good luck, and get it PPP`d, as it does make the difference, and it sounds like you`ll be getting it at a great price there......................but just don`t drive an STi.

You have been warned..................................
Old 18 November 2005, 05:03 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RJL_WRX05
Thanks for the reply Andy.

Direct Line told me that the WRX 300 does actually have its own insurance rating as it has 261bhp from new rather than 225 (i.e. it actually classes as a WRX 300 on the log book). Think I have read this on a thread on here somewhere too.

The problem is that as I have just taken out the insurance policy with Direct Line and they will charge me £60 cancellation fee so maybe I will have to stand the cost of £150 until next renewal.

I know PPP isn't worth the money but I have managed to get a good deal on it (£1,000 all in which is still a lot of money in my opinion for an exhaust and a re-chip) so thought I wud go for it as keeping my warranty is essential to me.

Although I have read a lot on this, has anyone got PPP and not really noticed that much difference to the standard car. I have read the PDF download from Subaru/Prodrive detailing the graphs and claimed figures etc but would like to hear from people who are either "chuffed to bits" with PPP or "mmm its alright I suppose"

There must be loads of people out there who have an opinion on this. I have never been one to modify cars as I worry about reliability, re-sale, cost v improvement in peformance etc. Further comments would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
The Impreza WRX 261 and WRX 300 are listed on the database as different vehicles
Old 18 November 2005, 05:25 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

I would say PPP is worth the money if you want to improve the performance and keep your warranty. It will also enhance the resale value, alternative methods of increasing the power may not. I'm very pleased with my PPP.

Ring Gary at Keith Michaels for a decent insurance quote.

Allan
Old 19 November 2005, 05:10 PM
RJL_WRX05
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the assistance/advice. Its appreciated.

Your reply made me laugh Dexter, I know exactly what you mean but the STI is just a bit too hardcore for me I think. I will make sure I dont drive one though!!!

I have got a good price but have never used the dealer before, is there anything I should be looking out for i.e. check the new chip/exhaust is the right one, certificate of install. Nothing worse than a dealer in my book!!! Can I get all my old parts back??

Thanks again fellas
Old 19 November 2005, 05:20 PM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the assistance/advice. Its appreciated.

Your reply made me laugh Dexter, I know exactly what you mean but the STI is just a bit too hardcore for me I think. I will make sure I dont drive one though!!!

I have got a good price but have never used the dealer before, is there anything I should be looking out for i.e. check the new chip/exhaust is the right one, certificate of install. Nothing worse than a dealer in my book!!! Can I get all my old parts back??

Thanks again fellas
No problem mate ! LOL.

IIRC, the new intercooler hose will be light-blue in colour, and you MUST get the certificate of fitment from your dealer, which is basically a piece of card with "Prodrive", your reg. no. and chassis no. on it, and the date of fitment. And yes, you should be able to have your old parts back.
Old 19 November 2005, 05:57 PM
RJL_WRX05
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate,

I got the good deal with olmpian but someone has just told me that they dont sell scooby's anymore i.e. lost franchise. On the subaru website they are still listed though as a parts and service only. Any ideas? Do you also get the ecu chip back?

Cheers
Old 19 November 2005, 06:14 PM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate,

I got the good deal with olmpian but someone has just told me that they dont sell scooby's anymore i.e. lost franchise. On the subaru website they are still listed though as a parts and service only. Any ideas? Do you also get the ecu chip back?

Cheers
No mate, you don`t get the chip back, because Subaru send the fitting-dealer a remapped chip, in return for the one out of your vehicle, and then do the same with yours, which goes into someone else`s etc............

Unfortunately, I have no knowledge of Olympian ?, as they aren`t local to me.