Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Direct line named driver NCB -> other insurers

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2006, 05:44 PM
Hothead
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Direct line named driver NCB -> other insurers

Hi guys, first post!

Just wondering: I'm looking to buy my own car soon now i've finally got myself a decent job and am thinking ahead. I've been a named driver for about 2 years with direct line, and as their recent TV advert says, they give named drivers no claims bonus.

If i was to ring for a quote from another company, would they honour the no claims bonus in order to stay competetive on price? I've checked on the internet and it would most likely drop my premium by 300-500 quid which would leave my walet much happier! I'm asking now as I won't start ringing around for quote's for a about a month and want to have as much info as possible.

If it matters i'm 23, good postcode, no claims/points etc. Looking for something along the lines of Scooby WRX, Civic type-r, etc.

Cheers for the help!

Laters
Old 16 April 2006, 11:43 AM
Tony@Greenlight
Former Sponsor

The Direct line "named driver" NCB is specific to Direct Line.

You have to have been named upon a Direct Line policy for every year that they are to credit you with a concession (ie. named 3yrs = 3yrs discount - with Direct Line).

Please do not work on the assumption that other Insurers will allow this concession, as other Underwriters/Insurers are not obliged to accept this.

If Direct Line start issuing NCB to named drivers to be used elsewhere, it will make other Insurers sceptical as to the validity of Direct Line NCB and other Insurers will start calling D/Line to verify that the NCB was for the Policyholder prior to acceptance.

Market wide commercial acceptance will be unlikely. I mean, you could be named upon a policy as a "just in case" driver. Never drive the vehicle and earn NCB without even doing any miles or touching the pedals

What is more likely, is that Direct line will allow an introductory discount that is equivalent to the duration that you have been a named driver under someone elses policy that was with them (ie. 3yr named driver = 50% 3yr discount in percentage terms, but not actual years).

Kind regards

Tony

Originally Posted by Hothead
Hi guys, first post!

Just wondering: I'm looking to buy my own car soon now i've finally got myself a decent job and am thinking ahead. I've been a named driver for about 2 years with direct line, and as their recent TV advert says, they give named drivers no claims bonus.

If i was to ring for a quote from another company, would they honour the no claims bonus in order to stay competetive on price? I've checked on the internet and it would most likely drop my premium by 300-500 quid which would leave my walet much happier! I'm asking now as I won't start ringing around for quote's for a about a month and want to have as much info as possible.

If it matters i'm 23, good postcode, no claims/points etc. Looking for something along the lines of Scooby WRX, Civic type-r, etc.

Cheers for the help!

Laters
Old 16 April 2006, 11:51 AM
Hothead
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Tony,

That is pretty much what I was expecting.

In that case it looks like i'm going to have to bite the bullet on some very high insurance costs if i want something nice and quick!

Cheers