Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Right, need some advice....

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2006, 12:42 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right, need some advice....

Thanks to a chappy not using his mirrors three weeks ago my scoobs been written off (boo hoo)
It was a 98 GL Wagon with 126000
The insurance company rang up yesterday and offered me £2800 for it.
I was, to say the least, not expecting anywhere near that (mainly because that's how much I paid for the car three years ago!)
Now, I've always been told never to take the first offer.
My question is, realistically how much can I push for from them?
Old 27 September 2006, 08:10 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

another £500 at least.
Old 27 September 2006, 08:27 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Lets hope someone from there company does not read these forums or the next offer may be less.
At the end of the day if the amount is better than you expected why not accept it instead of trying to fleece more money than you really should be entitled too, thus maybe somehow doing your bit for keeping insurance premiums down, it's people who abuse the system that make the insurers increase and charge everyone else more.
Old 27 September 2006, 11:06 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72
At the end of the day if the amount is better than you expected why not accept it instead of trying to fleece more money than you really should be entitled too, thus maybe somehow doing your bit for keeping insurance premiums down, it's people who abuse the system that make the insurers increase and charge everyone else more.
That's true enough but excuse me if I'm a bit pi55ed off about the fact that someone wrote off my car through no fault of my own.
A car that I worked very hard to buy at time when there was a lot of s**t going on in my life.

Seeing as I'd never had an accident before in my life I was wanting a bit of Scoobynet insight as I'd always been told they under offer at first.
I'm not on about taking the pi55, just wondering if someone has an idea as to what they could potentially offer
Old 28 September 2006, 08:57 AM
Tony@Greenlight
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by PaulC72
Old 28 September 2006, 09:25 AM
Tony@Greenlight
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Thanks to a chappy not using his mirrors three weeks ago my scoobs been written off (boo hoo)
It was a 98 GL Wagon with 126000
The insurance company rang up yesterday and offered me £2800 for it.
I was, to say the least, not expecting anywhere near that (mainly because that's how much I paid for the car three years ago!)
Now, I've always been told never to take the first offer.
My question is, realistically how much can I push for from them?
Hi BH,

Firstly, sorry to hear someone's written the scoob wagon off.

With regard to the value, if you paid £2800 for it 3 years ago and have been offered that now as a settlement figure it does sound like an excellent offer.

The fundamental principal that Insurance is based upon is the need to put you back in the same position as you were prior to the incident (ie. compensate you for your financial loss), so if you have been offered the cash that you originally paid for the vehicle (and presumable declared as the purchase value when you arranged the policy) this does seem good.

I know the public perception is that Insurers offer low first time & you should never accept the first offer. But whenever you receive an offer you have to ask yourself does the offer seem fair, if so the policy has performed it's duty and you should take the payment offered.

An Insurer will not just simply increase an offer without conducting an element of due diligence, thus should you opt for the route of declining the first offer you will need to substantiate what you consider to be the correct vehicle value.

This will require evidence (ie. examples of identical models currently for sale, along with a purchase receipt/mods receipts) as to why you feel the car to be worth more than you paid for it three years ago and more than the declared value you Insured it for.

Once the evidence is received it will be referred by your Insurer to a qualified motor engineer and the file will be opened again for review - in your particular case, with what you have advised so far it is unlikely that you would receive an increased offer. You would simply be delaying the payment made by another 2-3 weeks.

Kind regards

Tony
Old 02 October 2006, 07:57 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

TBH they've probably thought it was a turbo and given you a cheeky offer
Old 04 October 2006, 04:11 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A
TBH they've probably thought it was a turbo and given you a cheeky offer
LOL

Cant complain really, I was just after some info with my first post.

The good news is, that money has helped pay for a Turbo

Annoyingly the claims still outstanding so its affecting the insurance quotes I'm getting.
I've tried all the names on Scoobynet but so far nothing really that good.