Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Privilege Insurance...

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2001, 03:55 PM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just thought I'd share my experience.

Renewal time...quote is a bit more than best elsewhere, but as an existing customer I dont need to have a tracker like all other policies and they cover trackdays - so I decide to book it.

Call them up and they tell me that indeed no tracker is needed but that I am not covered for trackdays. They say that there are no notes on my file about doing trackdays in the last 12 months, therefore I cannot be covered. But the scary thing is I have done about 7 or 8 trackdays and always called before to log it, and even insured friends to drive, and yet they say no record of it. They blame me for this and claim the underwriters refise to cover me. I had even asked for a letter to confirm the cover but they said Privilege dont send out letters !!
Absolutely fuming, I speak to a supervisor who echoes this view, but after 20 minutes more arguing and ages on hold, he finally relents and says I will be covered for the year ahead. He agrees to send a letter and he says he will mark the file.

Next day I pay the renewal and I check with the girl that the supervisor has marked the file. No - he has not said a thing - and the girl says therefore I am not covered for Trackdays !!!!! I went bananas, but the supervisor had gone home, and it's friday and he's not in until Monday.

Here's the good bit - after no calls back, I get a letter yesterday, apologising for his stupidity in not marking the file and confirming my cover for trackdays. The letter is now framed, and will join me at every trackday !!!

So, dont stand for it if Privilege try it on.
Old 22 November 2001, 04:32 PM
NENO
Scooby Regular

Trigger, am also with Privilege. Before this gets moved to insurance, what you payin' for track days?
Old 22 November 2001, 05:19 PM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

That's the point really - I dont pay any extra for trackdays. I pay £1150 for a Sti import - Tescos quoted £900 but I would have had to buy a tracker and no cover for trackdays.

P.s. I put this in general as it is more about Trackdays than general insurance - and is also abt idiots in Insurance companies, and general info for people.
Old 22 November 2001, 09:53 PM
RichieD
Scooby Regular

Angry

Hmm.. interesting you say that Privilege did'nt require you to get a tracker fitted!...

Here's my story...
After searching the various 'for sale' ads for months (nay.. years!) I finally found a WRX to buy, I phone Privilege (who were already insuring my exisiting car - 205Gti) and give them the details of the new motor... "ok.. that'll be a premium of 860 quid, it must have a cat 1 alarm, but no need for a tracker". I query the need to have a tracker, three times! and i'm told quite definatively, NO tracker required.
Two days later I get the funds to purchase the new motor and decide to get the insurance.
Phone Privilege, ask to activate the previous insurance quote.
The woman on the other end then says "you will need to send us the installation documents for the cat 1 alarm AND tracker".
After much questioning and even more arguing... the woman tells me that ALL WRXs must be fitted with a tracker and that that has always been the case!
I spoke to the supervisor and argued the toss again, but was repeatedly informed that a tracker would be required.
What a bunch of useless t*ssers! - consequently i've ditched Privilege and got insurance elsewhere!

RichieD

PS.
I've just got a Trackstar fitted... not for insurance reasons.. just out of paranoia!!
Old 23 November 2001, 08:16 AM
Jake
Scooby Regular

Priviledge are useless I phoned them for a quote and they told me there was no need for a tracker so I paid the deposit and took out there policy no probs, then 4 months after taking out the policy they sent me a letter asking for proof of a tracker!! and they said I wasnt covered for theft for the past 4 months and I must fit a tracker to be covered so I cancelled the policy and got much better deal with Greenlight £450 cheaper and no tracker & including trackdays. Forget Priviledge ring Greenlight and save your self alot of £££ and grief.
Old 23 November 2001, 10:59 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Im sorry to say this People, but if you dont fit a tracking system to your car your a fool
Within the next year no matter who your with its going to be compulsary on our type of cars, you may as well fit one now and have the cost this year than have to fork out next year when they say "you need a tracker fitted".
Try renewing without one soon, not a chance

Tony
Old 23 November 2001, 11:37 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I agree with tony.

I must admit privilege are inconsistent, but I have had everything sent in writing and they are coming through for me.

£1200 fully comp protected no claims on a 22B as a 23 year old living in london. I have a tracker fitted but wanted one anyway. On this type of car I dont think it is unreasonable.

I have proof of track day cover instated and all is well, because I used the car on a trackday in the last year and notified them. It is alos because I migerated across from the old type of policy to the new, and the old type allowed track days so the new one does too so long as you exercised your right to use it before the change.

Old 23 November 2001, 02:38 PM
JayRaj
Scooby Regular

Adam,

Is your 22B a UK car or Jap import?

Thx

Jay
Old 23 November 2001, 02:46 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

import.
Old 23 November 2001, 05:04 PM
JayRaj
Scooby Regular

I'm paying £1600 for my 98 WRX. I'm 25, garage, tracker no points, 5 years NCB. How did you get it that chape Adam?

Cheers

Jay
Old 23 November 2001, 05:10 PM
paul w
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I'm with privilage as well and pay just under £400 for 00 uk turbo low risk area,fnc and the missus on as well.Told me never heard of track day cover.
Old 26 November 2001, 11:34 AM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

Basically Privilege are very inconsistent - you have to confirm in writing everything or they just delete things from yr policy !!

If I was to change my car to something that needs a tracker then my policy would require it. But keeping the same car from a previous time when they didnt require it gets me out of it.

I agree tracker type devices are a very good idea but another £500 ontop of all the insurance etc for a car I plan to keep for no longer than another year makes no sense. Next car will have Tracker or similar.
Old 27 November 2001, 10:24 AM
Dogus
Scooby Regular

Question

Getting a little paranoid myself after reading all this.

Have had a 98 turbo for the past 2 years and it's always been insured by Privilege. It doesn't have a tracker and at no point has a tracker ever been mentioned by either myself or Privilege.
Taking delivery next week of 2001 P1 and spoke to privilege yesterday re extra cost of insurance, it's gonna be approximately another £300 for the coming year BUT still no mention of Tracker!

Does anyone know the cost of getting a Tracker fitted?....and where? (I'm in SE London/Kent area)

Thanks
Old 27 November 2001, 12:12 PM
Dogus
Scooby Regular

Ooooops !!!!
Just seen the spec on P1 and noticed it already has a RAC tracker fitted as standard...... salesman never mentioned it.

Wonder if Privilege know this ?
Old 27 November 2001, 07:10 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

Red face

I don't think Privilege are alone in this level of incompetence and inconsistency.... I am having extreme difficulty getting Tesco to confirm in writing the details of my car, to the extent that I have now had to write to their head office to complain.

Question is, is this behaviour just incompetence or is it something more sinister - you decide.