Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tesco Insurance - requires TRAKKER!!????

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2001, 08:53 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Insurance time again

Renewal with AXA Direct = £619

with Direct Line = £564

Norwich Union Direct = £454

I had seen on here that Tesco were good value, gave them a call - they require a Trakker fitted!!!! My Impreza is a standard UK model with NO mods. either!!

How can one insurer cover it for £454 and another require a Trakker and for it to always be kept in Fort Knox and never driven??? Bloody mad, the world of Insurance!!

Rant over

Back to being sick -

Pete
Old 28 November 2001, 09:17 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Pete are you ill too??? lets be ill together er lets not

Pffff I am surprised that a man of your stature never knew that Tesco required a Tracker

Michelle (also back to being ill)
Old 28 November 2001, 09:20 AM
Vate
Scooby Regular

Can't see where the complaint is really.
At those premiums most of us would be laughing.
Lucky Bu99er!

PS you must be an old man.
Old 28 November 2001, 09:27 AM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Yeah, they wanted me to fit one too. Would have been £80 cheaper than elsewhere, but I didn't think that justified the cost of the tracker.
I'm surprised that NU Direct was cheaper than Directline - did you give them exactly the same details? Even a small difference in estimated annual mileage will bring the premium down a few quid.

Does anybody know what the link is between Tesco and Directline? When I called Tesco, they already had my details from DL.
Old 28 November 2001, 09:37 AM
philwaring
Scooby Regular

The Royal Bank of Scotland is the link ....

Can't understand why some insurers insist on a Tracker and some don't. I had a RAC Trackstar fitted to my MY99 about 5 weeks ago (because I wanted to and it's a great deal at the mo) but Privilege wouldn't give me any discount for having the device fitted!! They told me that it would only make a difference if the car was worth over £30k ... lovely!

Cheers
Phil
Old 28 November 2001, 09:48 AM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Yeah

Privelge Insurance require this also - well, thats what they told me anyway, before I said... hmmmm, your about £1k dearer than Axa and also require Tracker... let me think about this a, second....
Old 28 November 2001, 10:12 AM
mbc
Scooby Regular

insured under tesco,no tracker required

Trending Topics

Old 28 November 2001, 10:25 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Me too. It must be post-code dependant if you need a tracker.

Steve

MY01 WRX
Old 28 November 2001, 10:31 AM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Not postcode - it's dependent on <MY01 or >MY01.
Old 28 November 2001, 11:46 AM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Question

So it's Tracker for MY00 and earlier?
Old 28 November 2001, 11:49 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I wonder why its more desirable?

hmmm perhaps the thieves have taste too?
Old 28 November 2001, 12:11 PM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

Don't think it MY dependant (dependent?) 'cos a mate of mine has an MY01 with Tesco, but no tracker. But then he did this as a change of policy halfway thru the year and they may not have clocked that a tracker is required. (Others have had this with Tesco - see posts in the Insurance area).

I go with the post code thingy.
Old 28 November 2001, 12:33 PM
juan
Scooby Regular

The tracker is for your benefit too you know!

means you have a fair chance of getting your car back straight away rather than losing it forever. Worth it in my opinion. Makes you sleep easier.

edited to say I was with direct line / tesco. I'd double check your policy all those who think that they have insured a turbo with no tracker required. You could be okay but they didn't tell me until after I had bought the car. Bu66ers!! The evo rules were. RS needs no tracker, GSR does (allegedly! Though the story changed every time I wrote / called them). Just make sure your insurance guff doesn't say 'still awaiting proof of security' somewhere in small writing.

(from personal exp.)

[Edited by juan - 11/28/2001 12:39:12 PM]
Old 28 November 2001, 01:14 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Direct Line require one too.

I have been told that at Tesco it "depends who you speak to". Check your small print, don't wait until it's too late.
Old 28 November 2001, 02:13 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Only based on observing peoples posts debating this but it seems to me old shape MY94-MY00 requires Tracker with Tesco/Direct Line/Privilege but MY01-MY02 doesn't. If you have an earlier model and are told you don't need a tracker on the phone it will turn out that you do when the written policy comes through. Of course, please correct me if you can prove me wrong

[Edited by Boost II - 11/28/2001 2:15:28 PM]
Old 28 November 2001, 03:15 PM
Simes777
Scooby Regular

I'm with Direct Line and checked with them regarding a tracker for MY01 WRX and was told that I didn't need one. Although when I input my details on their website, it said I did!!!
Old 28 November 2001, 04:18 PM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

I have a 2001MY WRX insured with Direct Line and I had to have a tracker.

Sorry to blow out the theory.

Maybe it uses Monte Carlo analysis to determine who needs them and who does not.
Old 28 November 2001, 04:50 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Ooh, better check my Direct Line policy....
Old 28 November 2001, 04:59 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Talking

I give up. Perhaps Nigel H is insured as the old shape jap import WRX by mistake LOL

Monte Carlo analysis - yes thats it - I heard Tommy Makkinen needs a tracker fitted to his new scoob before the first race of next season.

[Edited by Boost II - 11/28/2001 5:30:04 PM]
Old 28 November 2001, 05:07 PM
JayRaj
Scooby Regular

Mr. Lewis,

I had a tracker fitted and sent them proof in January. Didn't here from them, so assumed everything was fine. I then got my renewal and they said that hadn't received anything!!!! After nearly one year, the cheeky buggers!

Never go with a insurance company who don't have a clue.

Jay
Old 28 November 2001, 06:25 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

An interesting one. Just got off the phone after fitting Tracker to my car. This was on the advise of Privilge. Same group as Direct Line and Tesco. Fitted it last week, had a letter in the post today saying Tracker was not good enough. They are removing Tracker from the list of approved devices. Said it was a mistake that I was advised to fit it. Should of been Trackstar or Navtrak.

Said Tracker was a poor system

Sorry to add to the mess

Jonathan
Old 28 November 2001, 07:11 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Direct Line and Priveledge came up with the same premium (I didnt know they were the same company!) - neither said that trakker was required at all.

Norwich Union Direct had EXACTLY the same details as everyone else - that £454 DOES worry me somewhat, but I went over all the details with the lady again and she confirmed it!! She said that she will also send me £30 in Kingfisher vouchers!! ??? Bargain of the year or what???? I am ringing them tomorrow to set it up - I will go over EVERYTHING again ( Speeding and 2 claims declared too!!)

Pete
Old 28 November 2001, 07:17 PM
DT
Scooby Regular

I'm with Tesco and NO tracker was req'd for my MY01 - although I subsequently had a Navtrak fitted anyway. (thanks to Puff's special offer )
Old 28 November 2001, 08:45 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Just a thought, do the MY01 have superior immobilisers fitted as standard?
Old 29 November 2001, 03:34 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Just renewed with Norwich Union Direct - £454!!!!

Wooooohhoooooo!!!

They will send me £30 vouchers for Kingfisher stores too

Bloody insurance is so expensive these days

I suppose its the benefit of being 72 years of age?

Pete
Old 29 November 2001, 03:54 PM
Simes777
Scooby Regular

Good result pslewis.

Reffro - the MY01 has a Thatcham Cat One Alarm / Immobiliser, but as I never had a Turbo I don't know what was standard on one - I'm sure someone on here will let us know.
Old 29 November 2001, 04:49 PM
juan
Scooby Regular

I got my tracker fitted last Jan after DL belatedly told me I had to have one. sent off the docs plus the cat1 docs to DL and got a letter back saying thanks.

then received 5 letters over the next 7 months each one saying I hadn't provided proof of my security. Drove me up the wall. I'd ring them up to have a go and they'd apologise, then next week another letter. I'd send them copies of my stuff and copies of their own letter saying I was fine and then I'd get a reply apologising, and a week later guess what!....
They were fine for 4 years but the last year has seen a shocking lapse in level of service.
I had to move and went to Tesco who are almost like an agent for DL. They even have roughly the same stationary, slightly different colour. better price though. AT least I don't have to talk to DL now. Also before I bought the car I spoke to about 4 different people at DL who all told me different quotes etc. but not one mentioned the tracker. Don't know if they do it on purpose but it happens way too much for them not to be aware. MOst people with performance cars who got them insured through DL have experienced ecxactly the same problem. I'm sure many have strenuously pointed out to them how cr@p they're being so they must be aware of it.
Old 29 November 2001, 06:25 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

They record their conversations with you, so record yours with them - tell them you have recorded the conversation at the end, say that you will assume they do not mind unless they tell oherwise (they need to know to enable you to use it in a legal dispute if you need to).

Then its a simple matter of asking them whether THEY have declared EVERYTHING about the policy which may have a bearing upon your acceptance. If they say yes, you have them by the shorts basically.

Anyway, I will let you know if Norwich Union try the same trick - they will NOT get an easy ride from me if they attempt that one!

Pete
Old 30 November 2001, 01:38 AM
AndyMan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I'm almost suicidal after reading some of these figures - to think of the amount of money I've given insurance companies over the years!

Admiral proved the best for me and didn't want anything more than the standard CAT1 alarm / immob. routine!

Never tried Tesco - got fed up with people telling me I had to be 30+ to get cover with them!!!

Anyone with a P1 got a good deal???

Quick Reply: Tesco Insurance - requires TRAKKER!!????