Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance Question....

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2007, 10:00 AM
terence
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Insurance Question....

Before anyone asks this isnt for me me My insurance is nice and sorted with ecar

I have a friend who has recently bought an evo8 at 20 years old... very nice indeedo!

But he mentioned he'd heard he might insure it by putting the car in his mothers name, getting her to insure it and using his fully comp insurance policy on his own car which allows him to driver others, to use the evo on a daily basis!

Is this allowed? Im sure I heard it was going to be illegal to do this in some form?

Tbh its a question ive often wondered as you hear lots of youngsters saying they plan to insure high powered cars this way.... discuss
Old 09 August 2007, 11:38 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Completely illegal. Otherwise everyone would have their gran own their car and have a fully comp robin reliant sat on the drive.

The main fdriver has to be the owner and insurer of the vehicle. iff he can't afford the insurance he shouldn't get the car. if he has a smash then it is very likely the insurance won't pay out. they know all the scams which is what this is.

bit harsh but the truth.

5t.
Old 09 August 2007, 11:43 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Agree with the above, and it is also very unlikely that he'll get the driving other car extension at 20. I don't know of any companies who give it to under 25 year olds.
Old 09 August 2007, 12:47 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
Completely illegal.
5t.
It is and isn't, as long as his grans name is on the log book as the registered keeper of the vehicle and can provide a VALID certificate of insurance in HER name so allowing the car to be taxed. He then can insure his car fully comp which MAY/MAYNOT as Gary says cos of his age allow him to drive other vehicles not belonging to him BUT ONLY ON A 3rd PARTY BASIS, which is minimuim requirement to be on the road to cover other road users.

My policy allows me to drive any other vehicle which doesn't belong to, for instance my scoob might not start and i need to get to work, i can borrow the wifes car or any of my sons cars as there both insured under there own policy, i personally brought all the cars but they don't show my name on the log book.

Only drawback is if he's in a prang whislt driving the EVO and its his fault the other car will be fixed but the EVO won't, he will have to pay for that himself.
Old 09 August 2007, 12:50 PM
terence
Scooby Regular

Ya, as I thought

Cheers guys for the info, I'll pas it onto him... i agree tho in something like an evo8 you wana be fully comp without a doubt!

Thanks all!
Old 09 August 2007, 02:56 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dazza01
It is and isn't, as long as his grans name is on the log book as the registered keeper of the vehicle and can provide a VALID certificate of insurance in HER name so allowing the car to be taxed. He then can insure his car fully comp which MAY/MAYNOT as Gary says cos of his age allow him to drive other vehicles not belonging to him BUT ONLY ON A 3rd PARTY BASIS, which is minimuim requirement to be on the road to cover other road users.

My policy allows me to drive any other vehicle which doesn't belong to, for instance my scoob might not start and i need to get to work, i can borrow the wifes car or any of my sons cars as there both insured under there own policy, i personally brought all the cars but they don't show my name on the log book.

Only drawback is if he's in a prang whislt driving the EVO and its his fault the other car will be fixed but the EVO won't, he will have to pay for that himself.

All true but as Moley agreed the owner and keeper and the insurer must be the main driver of the vehicle. The fact that lots of policies allow you to drive other vehicles occasionally on a 3rd party basis is what his mate is talking about exploiting.

As it is his car and he will be the main driver usuing this as a loophole is basically fraud and is therefore illegal.

Otherwise, as i said you'd just have your gran register you STi and have a fully comp Reliant on the drive so you could dodge the premium. Wrong all ends up i'm afraid.

5t.
Old 09 August 2007, 03:13 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

I think buying an Evo or any performance car at 20 if a bit slack....unless your absolutely loaded, waste of money, pay your dues, and then go for it when you've got some experience.
Old 09 August 2007, 08:26 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
The fact that lots of policies allow you to drive other vehicles occasionally on a 3rd party basis is what his mate is talking about exploiting.
5t.
It doesn't state occasionally on any policy, you could use it every other day so 3 days out of 7 you could still drive the car and his mum used it the other 4 it would make her the main user, but what your saying is correct, its wrong and personally if i'd just brought an EVO8 i'd make damn sure its fully insured, as these insurance companies look for the slightest thing to get out of paying.
Old 10 August 2007, 12:36 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

dont buy a car unless you can afford to run and insure it is the real key to the questin
Old 11 August 2007, 08:32 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
dont buy a car unless you can afford to run and insure it is the real key to the questin
i agree with tidgy on this one. im only 23, with 18 months driving experience. i sometimes struggle with the scoob, but it wants for nothing, and i make sacrifices elsewhere for the pleasure of driving her and having big breasted women admire my backbox