Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Tyres Speed Rating & Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2007, 11:05 AM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Tyres Speed Rating & Insurance

Have been looking into getting some winter tyres for my Impreza after various threads extolling their benefits. The problem is that 99% appear to be only H rated (130mph I believe) which is well below the speed rating of the standard Impreza tyres. I don't really see it being an issue in "real life" as I would be very unlikey to get any where near this kind of speed however I am therefore a bit worried that if I had to make a claim it would be turned down because I did not have the correct rated tyres on the car.

Does anyone have any experience with this, i.e. they have fitted winter tyres and informed their brokers/insurance companies or alternatively do any of the insurance people on here have a view on this?

Cheers
Old 29 December 2007, 01:14 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Interesting point. I thought the same and the car does now have winter tyres on. I haven't noticed tons of difference to the Bridgstones but they do seem a bit more grippy. That said, the summer tyres were down to the canvas on the inside so anything would have made some improvement!

Be interested to hear the views on this.

5t.
Old 30 December 2007, 11:43 PM
Andy S.
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by RJMS
Have been looking into getting some winter tyres for my Impreza after various threads extolling their benefits. The problem is that 99% appear to be only H rated (130mph I believe) which is well below the speed rating of the standard Impreza tyres. I don't really see it being an issue in "real life" as I would be very unlikey to get any where near this kind of speed however I am therefore a bit worried that if I had to make a claim it would be turned down because I did not have the correct rated tyres on the car.

Does anyone have any experience with this, i.e. they have fitted winter tyres and informed their brokers/insurance companies or alternatively do any of the insurance people on here have a view on this?

Cheers
In the manual there will be a winter tyre size cant quote from mine as its a JDM, but it should have a recomended tyre size there