Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Temporary Car

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2008, 10:22 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temporary Car

Hello,

I recently blew the engine up on my daily driver (Fiesta), so bought another car with the view to fixing the Fiesta when i have the money.

I then found out that to be parked on the road it needed insurance, so I added it as a temporary car on the policy with the car I now have for daily driver. This was only £20 a month, but now a couple of months on and they have decided i can't have it is a temporary car for any longer.

I looked at insuring it and they wanted £600 tp-only!!!!!!!!!!!! for a dead fiesta !!!!!!!!

So my girlfriend suggested she add it to her policy as a temporary car. She called up but they said they can't cover it if its not in her name.

Now obviously I am only concerned with having an insurance cert for police purposes, so my question is if she insures it and says its in her name but i keep it in my name will this come to light and screw her insurance up somehow?? . I guess what I am asking is do they check the ownership as a matter of course?

It's not worth that much on paper (certainly not to cover insurance increase for a claim) so i wouldnt ever claim for it. And it has no engine on a flat road so it's not gonna cause any thirdparty damage!

Andy
Old 08 January 2008, 11:05 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

yes it is quite clearly dodgy because she would still be claiming for something she didn't own and a claim would mean sending off the ownership docs (remember if they pay out they own the wreck)

The only way round it would be to effectively "sell" her the car and transfer ownership or find someone with a spare bit of private land that you can store it on uninsured for 20 notes.

If it is just the daily driving lump though i'm surprised you aren't just towing it to the scrappers!

5t.
Old 08 January 2008, 05:51 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Mainly cos the car i am driving about in is more crap, although at least it moves LOL. The dead car is worth about 2.5k in working order.