Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does 'Protected No Claims Discount' Work?

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2008, 09:37 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How does 'Protected No Claims Discount' Work?

We had to claim on my wife's insurance as her car was stolen. The car was recovered and I reckon the total claim will be about £600 and we will be paying a £400 excess.

However, we have a protected no claims discount. So, when we shop around for insurance later in the year, we will be able to tell insurers we have 10 years no claims bonus but made a claim in Jan 2008. What will happen?

Steve
Old 02 February 2008, 06:13 PM
SetoN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Sherwen
We had to claim on my wife's insurance as her car was stolen. The car was recovered and I reckon the total claim will be about £600 and we will be paying a £400 excess.

However, we have a protected no claims discount. So, when we shop around for insurance later in the year, we will be able to tell insurers we have 10 years no claims bonus but made a claim in Jan 2008. What will happen?

Steve
Most insurers use the '2 claims in 5 years' rule. So You will still have 10 years NCD to use next year to keep the premium as low as possible due to the theft claim. You will also still be able to protect your NCD if you have only made the 1 claim in the last 5 years.