Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2002, 10:20 AM
ChrisB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking at going for the TSL brake upgrade ie new pads and discs, maybe hoses.

I've spoke to Privilege and as the car isn't changing in performance, they lady said no change on my premium. As it's just the consumble part of the brakes changing, I reckon it's like changing the tyres.

Anyone else found this?

Chris.
Old 29 January 2002, 10:47 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Hi mate!!

I found the same thing - after I had an arguement with Adrian Flux. They said changing my discs and pads would void my insurance, until I wrote to their customer service manager and then I was told it was fine with no effect on premium.......

Cheers
Neil.
Old 29 January 2002, 10:50 AM
Jerry*
Scooby Regular

Talking

Chris,

Most insurers tend to either refuse cover or increase your premium if they see a modification as a performance enhancement.

Brake upgrades obviously don't make the car any faster and if anything make the car safer and so insurers tend not to bump your premium up.

They do sometimes consider the additional value concerned and may apply a small loading for that, but not often.

Its certainly more than just changing the tyres though !! I would definitely recommend checking with your insurers before going ahead and changing any part of your Scoob. Some insurers don't like any none standard parts, no matter how good they are !!

Hope this helps...

Cheers,

John
Schofield Ins Brokers.

[Edited by Jerry* - 1/29/2002 10:55:37 AM]
Old 29 January 2002, 02:35 PM
ChrisB

Thanks guys

Made a note of the Customer Services rep I spoke to for my records.

I didn't get charged when I put my anthracite 16" wheels on. Still std Subaru wheels, just a different colour.

Here's a question for you Jerry...

My insurance cert declares "Exhaust Change - Performance Upgrade" and allows for an increase in engine power up to 10%. The only change so far has been a back box. If I stick a downpipe on and it stays inside the 10% allowed, do I need to contact them? I probably will but the cert doesn't state which parts of the zorst have been changed.

[Edited by ChrisB - 1/29/2002 2:42:43 PM]
Old 29 January 2002, 03:56 PM
Jerry*
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Chris,

I suppose if the power hike was within the 10% specified then you could probably get away with not telling them. Personally I would tell them about anything you do to the car, and make sure that they fully understand what you have fitted and that the power output is still within their 10% allowance.

I know its long winded and may involve a bit of f4nnying around, but its the only was of being sure that you are properly covered.

Unfortunately there are a few numpties in the insurance business and things sometimes get overlooked !!

Hope this helps again m8 !

John
Old 29 January 2002, 04:29 PM
ga33a
Scooby Regular

Hi Chris,

I've recently been through this process and GreenLight didn't charge me anything for the privilege of doing it.

They did however ask that I either got them fitted by a garage and provide a receipt, or if I was going to fit them myself get them checked by a garage to make sure they were fitted correctly and again send them proof. I did the latter.

I was thinking that this would be a good idea anyway as it covers you doubly in case of an accident.

Cheers

Gazza
Old 29 January 2002, 06:49 PM
ChrisB

Talking

Thanks again guys.

I'll give probably fax them with an upto date list of mod's and ask for a letter confirming they are happy with them just to make sure.
Old 29 January 2002, 08:16 PM
neveryoumind
Scooby Regular

Angry

Just as a foot note, AXA couldn't quote me because i had braided hoses.....they don't touch anything with modified brakes.
They did however offer to put me through to axachoice or something, but as it took them 30 minutes to tell me this in the first place i politely declined. The operator's first response to me telling her about them was "How can someone behind you tell the brake lights are on if they're made of stainless steel"
nym