Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCHOFIELDS NOT COMPETITIVE! A HALT ON QUOTES!

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2002, 12:26 AM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

**PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS A TEMPORARY SITUATION**

For the last 2 - 3 months I (with the help of John and Dean in the office) have been monitoring ALL our quotations for ALL models of Subaru.

Having collated an aweful lot of very interesting information I have come to realise that our existing insurance carriers for "standard UK Turbos" (EXCLUDING the P1 and STI Type UK special editions and Jap imports) are not providing us with rates that are able to successfully compete within that market sector.

In most situations we are being beaten on price (and sometimes the level of cover) by the Direct Insurers, the likes of Tescos, Elephant, Direct Line, and Privelege...we are also not managing to compete with some highly competitive schemes underwritten via the main stream Insurance Brokers, the likes of Cheam, Adrian Flux, Greenlight etc.

Whilst I appreciate that all competition is (in most cases) good competition I have decided that for the time being Schofield Insurance Brokers will put a temporary stop on ALL "NEW" quotes for "UK" cars (except the P1 and UK STI) - unless the cars are Trackered and Garaged/Rhino Post installed....this will apply until I have secured a suitable deal with one of the major insurance carriers.

** Negotiations are under way and hopefully by the end of February, early March we will be able to provide Subaru Owners scheme rates the likes of which have not been seen for a good few years!!! **

As many of you will have seen, since we were given new rates in November, our underwriters have made it a requirement that all Impreza Turbos are to be Garaged and also Trackered....whilst in principle I am in agreement with this....I appreciate that for the vast majority of us (myself included) a garage is something that we do not necessarily possess...and for many the idea of having to purchase a Tracking system (circa £400 - £500 hardware + a monthly charge) is not a viable option when comparing quotes to other companies...

We will continue to provide quotes for ALL Jap imports and ALL P1's and the latest STI...however as stated above we still require Garaging and Tracking to apply (please note that for policies already issued prior to this warranty this is not a requirement unless already advised to you within your quote and/or policy wording).

May I stress that we are NOT pulling out of the market....purely regrouping in an attempt to obtain more favourable terms for the future.

We have big plans for this year and we intend to get it right....not just for us....but also for all our clients...

Once again I am sorry that for the time being we will not be able to assist further for the UK cars...

As stated 12 months ago, we were never a mainstream Motor Broker - purely a broker with a niche market for the special editions...the UK Scoobs seemed to gradually come our way from July when we obtained rates for the imports...and since then we have actually struggled to successfully convert quotations for UK scoobs into new business...

I am now away for 2 weeks ( diving in Borneo!!! ) however if anyone has any queries please do not hesitate to contact the offce to discuss with John or Dean...

Thanks for reading and taking the above on board...

Rum*/Tom
Partner
Schofield Insurance Brokers
Leeds

**Moderators/Scoobychick please can you keep somewhere near the top for a wee while...ta**

[Edited by Rum* - 2/2/2002 12:31:07 AM]

[Edited by Rum* - 2/2/2002 8:19:54 AM]
Old 02 February 2002, 01:24 AM
necromax
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info! Have to say would have appreciated a phone call though, having had lenghty conversation with John on Wednesday night regarding a quote for my Terzo, but hearing nothing since. Despite me chasing him up this afternoon (friday), had I not ducked on here tonight I would have been none the wiser. Unfortunately my renewal date is Feb 18th, so with all due respect, unless you plan on introducing quote's for UK models sooner, you will not be seeing my business. That is not meant to sound as bitter as it might, but simply that it will be too late for me, which is a shame, as I felt I had a finally found an insurer who knew what they were talking about.
Old 02 February 2002, 02:22 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Unhappy

Rum,
Well after the quote for the new STI 7 with a rhino pot in driveway seems like Tesco's here I come..Again
I certainly hope your successfull in getting it sorted as All of us have BIG respect for your Knowledge and love for the Scoob

Tony
Ps
To compete or not compete that is the question??? EG. A company has £1 million turnover with 1000 customers, Average £1000 a person now only only 200 Imports and specials customers you'll need to make £5000 each and then uncompetitive for your specialized subject
Just my 4 pennyworth IMHO with absolutely no idea how a buisness ruins
Old 02 February 2002, 07:49 AM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

As I have said above...the quotes that have been done and are on going are still being discussed with the underwriters...

We have on occasion, been able to sway the underwriters where the client is prepared to fit something like a Rhino post to the driveway...sometimes we are able to sort it.....indeed we are competitive with some...

What I am trying to say is....that with the numbers on here...and with 3 of of providing quotes in the office...I have seen our call back time with quotes drop off dramatically...we are getting 100's of quotes to do...and in reality we are only really competing on the Special Editions....the other markets are continuously beating us on cost for the standard model. I am not happy that people are having to wait longer than a day to receive a quote...and then they are being told in a lot of cases that we are unable to obtain suitable terms....

Maybe what I should have said is that unless the car is garaged and trackered...or you are prepared to have it garaged or Trackered...then maybe we are not the best market at the moment...

The P1 and STI are I'm affraid slightly different - the underwriters are more flexible....but that is to do with the way the quotes are obtained....we check out each postcode...and in kost cases discuss the risk with the underwriter to confirm cover...

I apologise for the inconvenience, but I would rather continue to provide an excellent service which all can trust....whilst at the moment, I feel that although the service (i.e knowledge of the brand, personal touch etc) is excellent unfortunatley the price for the UK "standard/non special edition" Scoob is just not at the right level...unless the dreaded garaging and tracking applys and as a result until I have found more suitable rates I thought it best to put everyone in the picture...

To give you an idea I have been getting on average 30 emails a day requesting quotes....thats great....but when I see that of those 30 we have been uncompetitive of at least 50% you do have to wonder...

...surely its best to relook at the markets you are using, obtain better more competitive rates and then reopen the doors to offer what I believe is an excellent service from lads that are seriously (or not so seriously ) passionate about Scoobs...mods....and everything that is related to them ...

Once again sorry for the inconvenience

Tom

Old 02 February 2002, 08:03 AM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Wink

T5NYW,

As I said above...the STI quotes are a different ball game ...so if we have quoted... then the quote stands.... and in your case - yes ... if no garage...then a Rhino post

I am just suggesting that in respect of the "standard UK scoob"...not the special editions and not the P1 or STI or Jap import, we have put a TEMPORARY halt on quotes....unless its garaged or trackered...its short term...

Please call John in the office if you are in any doubt...

All the best

Tom

Old 02 February 2002, 08:16 AM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

P.S. As I stated at the top....this is temporary!

We are (and have been for some time) negotiating rates with 3 of the major insurance providers for the standard Scoob...once this "scheme" is agreed we will be back with avengence!!

I can't stress enough that this is ONLY for the Standard UK Scoob...

IF IN DOUBT PLEASE CALL US TO DISCUSS - The main thing as I have probably already over stated is that we unfortunately require Garaging and Tracking in most cases...depending on the area, depends on whether underwriters will allow a Rhino Post instead of garaging...or whether you have a seriously good argument for not having either of the above (i.e. parked at a police station car park at the rear of the armed response depot!!??)

Right I'm off on my hols....

All the best

Tom
Old 02 February 2002, 11:26 AM
spider
Scooby Regular

Smile

Have a good holiday Tom!

Having had a very pleasant and informative couple of chats with John yesterday about my modified UK car I hope you can get it sorted soon. It's good to deal with folk who actually know what they're talking about.

Cheers,
Steve

PS, my renewal's not until May so you've got some time!

Trending Topics

Old 02 February 2002, 12:48 PM
necromax
Scooby Regular

If I am not mistaken, is a 'Terzo' not considered a special edition? In which case, I would assume you would be able to quote fairly competitively? I do have a Tracker fitted, Cat 1 and Barrier Deadlock, and one of the lowest risk post codes in the country....
Old 02 February 2002, 04:11 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

necromax,

I would hope we will be able to assist...certainly if you have been speaking to John about it, I would hope that he is confident that we will be able to assist...

I am sure he will speak to you on Monday...

In the meantime I am really going on holiday this time...

C U all in 2 weeks

Tom

[Edited by Rum* - 2/2/2002 4:13:25 PM]
Old 02 February 2002, 04:17 PM
necromax
Scooby Regular

Have a good holiday!
Old 02 February 2002, 05:42 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Rum,
Have a great Holiday I have sent you mail.
Tom,
Sorry M8, when you find a insurer that finally knows what there on about and I thought a Great quote. So I was gutted when read you post that you weren't doing Uk which I thought STI 7 was. It was late at night maybe should have read the post better
My main concern is when the likes of Tesco's etc have eliminated the competition the only losers will be Joe public because they'll hike the price. Wheres all the corner shops now
So once again Sorry

Tony

Tony
Old 03 February 2002, 08:07 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Sorry to corner this thread but how much is one of these rhino posts to get installed? I'd guess those swivel ones are cheaper than the drop down ones but Im interested?
Old 04 February 2002, 05:39 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Tom,
thanks for posting this, as a jap import owner it does not currently effect me, but I'm not going to adopt a 'holier than thou' attiude about this.

Wow Jap owners getting one over on UK owners, that's got to be a turn up for the books

Seriously, can't wait to see the new quotes.

Long live Schofields!
Old 04 February 2002, 10:17 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

P1fanatic,

Try here: http://www.drivewaysecurity.co.uk/rhino.html

They quoted around £300 installed IIRC.

Cheers
Tim
Old 04 February 2002, 10:26 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

BTTP,

P1,
See this thread http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=68250 in Security

Tony
Old 05 February 2002, 11:19 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

P1 fanatic, Screwfix do one for about £25

Sal
Old 05 February 2002, 11:38 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Hmmm we have them at work to keep certain parking bays free. I dont see how they would stop a crim if they wanted your car - somehow I dont think one of those posts would stop someone reversing at full whack. Dont think Ill bother tbh unless my insurance asks for it or gives substantial discount for using one.
Old 05 February 2002, 12:12 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

Don't confuse a Rhino post with a cheap imitation (although I guess a cheap post will still be a deterrent).

Rhino's are used by a lot of dealers on forecourts, because they are built like the preverbial brick outhouse, only stonger, hence the price!

Insurures would be not too impressed with anything less IMHO.

Cheers
Tim
Old 05 February 2002, 01:29 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

hmm, I can't put the car in my garage, why? well car is too low to get over the lowered pavement and down the very steep drive, put it this way, the ST24 grounded out, and the blackbeast is way lower than that. So I have to park on the road. Thankfully as I'm an jap import dude and I have an existing policy I should be ok.

Old 05 February 2002, 02:45 PM
Jerry*
Scooby Regular

Talking

Tim/NBW,

Absolutely right on this one m8 !!

Many pillars are pretty basic and would not stand up too well to the decent shunt or a few whacks from a crim. The Rhino pillar are much stronger and will withstand a helluva lot !!

Any probs, bell me to discuss

Cheers,

John
Schofield Ins Brokers
Old 05 February 2002, 02:48 PM
simon_prickett
Scooby Regular

Rum*,

Thanks for the honest info, will give you a call in September when mine is up for renewal, as I may just sell the car if it gets silly for me. Sorry you couldn't help last Sept (I ended up at Greenlight), but will definately try you again.

All the best,

Simon.
Old 05 February 2002, 09:05 PM
gadge
Scooby Regular

still awaiting a call back from friday (3 days ago)

garry
Old 07 February 2002, 01:07 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Smile

Tom,
For me the choice of whom I insure with is not just about getting the best premium.
After a disastrous experience a few years back with a very large insurance company where it took me some 3 months (yes 3 months) to report a non fault claim, I now choose my company very carefully.
When I took out my policy with you I was very impressed with the level of customer service, it is this that is important to me.
Regards
Allan
Old 07 February 2002, 01:55 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Allan - I'm the same, it's the whole package and not just the cheapest premium I go for. I'd rather pay a bit more and get better service

Sal
Old 08 February 2002, 12:41 AM
stu200
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Me as well

I'm paying around 100 quid over the "market rate" this year by going via Schofields, but I'm happy to pay it for the benefits I get back (such as a mod-friendly insurer with dirt-cheap 100% trackday cover and not having to deal direct with T**** claims department).

There's always more to the picture than just the straight annual premium ...
Old 08 February 2002, 10:23 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Agree with the sentiments about Schofields. Were not the cheapest, but I was with then before the Independant insurance thing happened and really wanted to stay with them as Tom and the rest of the chaps know their stuff, love scoobs, and are friendly to boot. Never had customer service this good from an ins co before (now where's my discount for all the nice things I've said )
Old 11 February 2002, 03:29 PM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

I have a garage, would consider a tracker on my lightly modded UK turbo.
Plz contact me once you've got your competive quotes together

ps. bttt
Old 12 February 2002, 11:02 AM
CaptainBeakie
Scooby Regular

I must say this is very refreshing. An insurance broker who is really really willing to help out. I'm not too sure how many would post something like this to notify us punters that they may not be competitive at the moment.

I phoned previously and found you friendly and informative (I know that customer service goes a long way to getting/keeping business).

My hats off to you guys,

Beakie

P.S. I hope the underwriters you deal with soon realise the error of their ways!!

P.P.S. I'm from London and was driving into Yeadon the other day, and was pleasantly suprised to see your offices. G/F didn't understand when I starting raving on about you!! Keep up the good work!