Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I covered?

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2010, 09:46 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Am I covered?

Am I covered to drive someone elses car (which has no insurance of its own) using the third party 'driving other cars' part of my policy? Or does the car need its own insurance as well?
Old 22 October 2010, 09:49 PM
Dougmy06wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's ok as long as it has tax and mot. Maybe someone else can give you more info but I think it's ok.
Old 22 October 2010, 09:56 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blu-scoob
Am I covered to drive someone elses car (which has no insurance of its own) using the third party 'driving other cars' part of my policy? Or does the car need its own insurance as well?
no the other car has to be insured or else your not covered best getting one day cover for the other car
Old 23 October 2010, 12:15 AM
stedee
Scooby Regular

its a strange one this because i thought the same and have done in the past, on my insurance it doesnt say anything about the other car needing insurance and i think you would win in court, ive had to go to court b4 with a similar thing and i showed the court my insurance and got them to read it, i did have to pay court costs but i didnt get any points etc etc.

this said i dont recommend you try this for yourself and i wouldnt do it again now i think (not know for sure) that the other car has to be insured aswell.
Old 23 October 2010, 08:15 AM
Mrfastbaz
Scooby Regular

pretty sure the car has to have some insurance for you to drive on your own cover evenif its only 3rd party its covered...
Old 23 October 2010, 08:59 AM
blackcountryboy
Scooby Regular

i have had this problem before, the first time i was stopped in my mates car as the police officer said it was showing no insurance i told him i was insured to drive any car on my insurance policy as long as it was not registered to me he had the details of my car checked out the insurance and let me on my way. The second time was the same i had just picked up a car for my partner got stopped as it was showing no insurance and the officers told me the car needed to be insured for me to drive it on my policy, anyway i argued the toss and they let me go with a producer, so i checked on internet and it does say the car does not need to be insured as your insurance will cover it 3rd party anyway i produced my insurance and never heard a thing
Old 23 October 2010, 12:40 PM
scoobygreg
Scooby Regular

ive produced documents in he past when insured to drive any vehicle not belonging to me,that vehicle not being insured and never had a problem,
however it would be nice to have it clarified from one of the sponers

Trending Topics

Old 23 October 2010, 03:50 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobygreg
ive produced documents in he past when insured to drive any vehicle not belonging to me,that vehicle not being insured and never had a problem,
however it would be nice to have it clarified from one of the sponers
x2

As said above the policy doesn't say the car needs its own insurance.
Old 23 October 2010, 04:10 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

The other car has to be insured.

Technically you are insured to drive it, but as soon as you step out of it you're leaving an insured car on the public highway, which will get you 6 points.
Old 23 October 2010, 05:27 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX

Technically you are insured to drive it, but as soon as you step out of it you're leaving an insured car on the public highway, which will get you 6 points.
as i said
Old 23 October 2010, 06:31 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX

So driving it from driveway to driveway will be ok as it won't be left on the highway!!

Surely though it would be the owner who got into trouble for it not being insured because (as its not my car) as soon as I leave it its no longer my responsibilty!!

Last edited by BLU; 23 October 2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 23 October 2010, 07:06 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by blu-scoob
So driving it from driveway to driveway will be ok as it won't be left on the highway!!

Surely though it would be the owner who got into trouble for it not being insured because (as its not my car) as soon as I leave it its no longer my responsibilty!!
I certainly wouldn't chance it.

You can buy a days cover for about £10, so that would be a safer option.

The owner would get their car inpounded, but you'd be getting the 6 points as driver.
Old 05 November 2010, 10:31 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

how could you get 6 points as driver, if you are only uninsured when you get out of the car, surely you can't be driving it and commiting an offence if you are not in it, I have taken cars for mot for people and have driven from the drive to a garage car park, Although reading this may think twice in future, the whole situation can be confusing and for the sake of a tenner ain't worth the risk tbh.