Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Difference does a PPP make to standard MY01 Insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2002, 02:56 PM
Makalu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone tell me...What Difference does adding a PPP make to standard MY01 Insurance premium?

I am currently with Tesco Insurance.

Thanks Guys.
Mak.
Old 24 April 2002, 08:30 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

I am only guessing, but I reckon they will sting you for £150-£200 per year. Judging by threads I have read on here Ins. companies don't like mods that increase BHP. Even a WR Sport back box will increase your premium. Give them a ring to see what they say. Let us know, I would be interested.

Yorkie
Old 29 April 2002, 10:08 PM
markx
Scooby Regular

Smile

Adding PPP, WRC spoiler, Prodrive springs, morettes to wrx01, added £80 to annual insurance. Though I did add the wife to the insurance at the same time which reduced the premium. Insured with privilege, 39yrs, 7 NCD in high risk area.
Old 30 April 2002, 03:30 PM
Wuss
Scooby Regular

Question

Markx,

Privilege will NOT insure my MY00 PPP. They have no idea what it is and if I give them a break down, they will insure everything except the revised intercooler ducting. It might be worth checking your policy thoroughly because in the event of a major claim they may be able to wriggle out of it. I have had the same experience with Admiral, Privilege, Tesco, Churchills, etc.

The stupid part is that they all WILL insure a bloody P1 which is:

1) More desirable,
2) More powerfull,
3) More attractive to vandalls,
4) Just as likely to be totalled in an accident!

The only company who would listen was Greenlight and they gave me an unlimited mods quote! Incidentally, a tracker makes no difference at all to whether or not the mainstream companies will insure your UK MYxx PPP.

Wuss.
Old 01 May 2002, 07:34 AM
Mark99
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Liverpool & Victoria (Frizell) only wanted an extra £30 when I added PPP to my MY99
Old 01 May 2002, 04:30 PM
trigbert
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I got a scary one from Direct Line....

Standard MY98 - £800

MY98 with PPP shot up to £1350, although didnt seem very knowledgeable - had to explain the mods individually (Exhaust, ecu etc).

Thing is if I go for the RB5 I've been hanging my nose over it goes back down to £800. Go figure.

Mind suppose its still not bad considering I managed to write off my last car last year.
Old 02 May 2002, 08:08 AM
Makalu
Scooby Regular

OK, spoke with Tesco Insurance last night to get the official low-down on this one and their response was quite interesting...
They told me that they dont mind performance modifications and charge extra according the amount of increase in power. For example: If you pay a £1000 a year premium and then add performance upgrades that add 10% power - say an additional 20Bhp to a standard car - then you premium goes up by ten percent too... ie your £1000 premium goes up to £1100.

They did ask if the modification made any cosmetic differences to the vehicle as this adds further increases to the premium because it makes the vehicle more noticeable!

There you have it... the answer to "how much extra do performance mods make to insurance premiums (with Tesco Insurance)"

Mak.
Old 03 May 2002, 10:40 AM
Wuss
Scooby Regular

Question

That's curious!

Tesco would insure the following:

1) Changes to the exhaust.
2) Up to a 10% increase in Bhp with a new ECU.

When I pushed about the intercooler modifications they referred me to the underwriters who said they would not touch a standard UK MY00 with a PPP, although, once again, a P1 was acceptable???!!

Sorry to bring this up again, but you have got to be thorough. You will only discover a problem when the worst happens and you need to make a claim. Don't let them wriggle out of a claim on a technicality.
Old 03 May 2002, 11:27 AM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Out of interest, who were the underwriters?

Lloyds?
Old 03 May 2002, 02:55 PM
Wuss
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Don't know, I didn't waste my time talking to them if they weren't going to cover me.