Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

WINDOW NOISE

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 1999, 07:37 AM
Marcos
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hi - I have a 95WRX and have noticed on motorways etc that the passenger side window rubber seal is broken and causes a lot of wind noise.

Its looks as though the 'rubber lip' which is fixed onto the door has split at the top - any proper way of fixing this?

(I have to admit I've tried black electrical tape !!!! no luck....)

cheers

marcus
Old 11 October 1999, 10:38 AM
pilch
Scooby Regular

marcus,

best bet is to order a replacement strip, pull the door cover off (easy job) and replace the sill. 1/2 hour job at most. Whilst you're in there, dynamat your speakers!

pilch
Old 11 October 1999, 01:46 PM
ChrisE
Scooby Regular

Question

I posted an item on this some time back.
Both my front windows got worse and worse with wind noise.
The the drivers window began having real problems in achieving a seal when fully closed - how about a 1 inch gap at the pillar and clunking noises. Time to get to the dealer.
So, for my car at least I think I now know the reason and as its a parts fault I assume that others suffer from the same problem.
It goes something like this:
- the wind noise starts because the window doesn't seal against the rubber properly.
- as the window is used (and I use it a lot) the mechanics for raising the window are continually subjected to use (obvious).
- the actuator bar supports the window and is raised by the electric motor
- the bar basically pushes the left and right sides of the window bottom raising it
- early on in the problem the bar begins to push one side more than the other. The left hand side joint of bar to window(looking at the window from inside)fails.
- this means that the window goes up with more pressure on the right than the left
- you'll know this has happened if early on you get wind noise from the mirror triangle, later across the top of the window and then when it fails the top right actually moves towards the front of the car as well as up giving rise to a large gap (no left "up" push at all)
Currently having mine fixed under warranty, both sides.
Without actual mechanical failure you may have trouble convincing anyone of this, if indeed the problem is the same.
What I can say is that if you raise the window and then apply some "right" pressure as it rises then the wind noise goes completely (you have to do this when it actually fails totally and thats how I linked the 2 problems together).