Notices

Which wire............

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2003, 06:15 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do I intersect to make the light in my new boost gauge work?
I've got a red and a black from the gauge, clearly the black goes to earth, and the red to a power feed, trouble is, which one?
Old 15 January 2003, 07:20 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I got a feed off the illumination for the stereo. Another populer option is to us the wire which powers the *** lighter light.
Basically pick a wire which lights up anything with the car lights on.
Old 16 January 2003, 10:24 PM
Andy Murdoch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ron,

I'm just about to fit a boost gauge to my STi 7 (on the A pillar), the A pnl trim simply pulls off and access to run the pipe and wire can be easily found. The fog lamp switch is backlit when your lights are switched on so this should be relatively easy to tap into. Use a multi-meter (or a 12v test lamp) and check the terminals at the rear of the switch to see which one gets power when the lights are switched on. Then splice your gauge +ve wire onto this by Scotchlok or soldering into a bared section. The gauge lamp will need a earth return as the pods are plastic! This can be done by crimping a tag onto a wire (blk) and fitting it on to one of the threaded posts which holds the clamp bar (case ground). Run this earth wire back to an earth screw under the dash. I've still to work out how the switches are removed without damaging them but hopefully the dealer can advise this (as well as providing a copy of the wiring diagram if they're really helpful). Demon Tweeks sell small rubber 'condoms' which are available in 4 colours to give the desired backlight! These simply fit over the bulb, simple & brilliant.

Pity Haynes don't produce the manuals.

Best of luck.

Andy M
Old 17 January 2003, 09:16 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

The official wire to use as per the Subaru LaMco gauge kit is the purple one from the fog light switch.

You take the lower dash panel off - two or three screws and a couple of clips - and then don't have to remove the switch - just patch into the wire from behind.
Old 17 January 2003, 11:22 AM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cheers Dave,
I've just managed to blow a fuse trying to find the wire at the lighter, so I might just try that.
Cheers.
Ron.