Notices

90/100Watt lightbulbs in Morettes?

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2003, 10:33 PM
CEL
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Phillips Blue Vision bulbs in my moretts, they work very well.
Prior to that i had some PIAA blue blubs in them, very nice effect and fantastic light output, but £65 per pair is a little ott in my opinion.

For £20 you get near to the PIAA bulbs for a fraction of the cost... oh, got mine from autolamps too

[Edited by CEL - 9/2/2003 10:34:12 PM]
Old 19 August 2003, 07:36 PM
DutchClutch
Scooby Regular

Guys,

If I fit 90/100Watt lightbulbs in a Morette-set,instead of the original 55/60-ones,could I expect trouble according to the standard wiring/fuses?
And do they survive behind the smaller unit's because of their higher temperatures?

GrtZ.Arend.
Old 20 August 2003, 11:11 AM
Autolamps
Scooby Regular

You would be ill advised to go the Rally lamp route for a number of reasons. More than 90% of an incandescent lamps output is heat; this is why it is so inefficient light wise compared to the Xenon discharge. By increasing the wattage of the lamp although you will get more lumen output (general light) you will get greatly increased heat. In a small ellipsoidal system you risk melting the housing and lens or both. Secondly your wiring has not been designed to cope with this increased current demand and if nothing else you should use an auxiliary harness and relay to carry the load. Finally the life of a Rally lamp is approx 25% that of your standard product but this varies on lamp type. Still average life would be 100-150 hours compared to 600 hours on an H4 as an example. You would be far better off using a product such as VisionPlus which achieves it increase in performance from increased luminance and not lumen. This means that the heat increase is negligible and the current draw increase is also very small. If you would like any more info than this just let me know

Nick
Old 20 August 2003, 06:01 PM
DutchClutch
Scooby Regular

Thanx for the info Nick.
I think the VisionPlus is the best choise.

Grtz.Arend.
Old 28 August 2003, 11:50 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Hi Nick

Can you send me some info please, I have morretes in my MY00 and the standard bulbs run very hot and don't give out that much light, I would be interested in achieving whiter light rather than the yellowish standard light. But not sure which bulbs to use to achieve this. Also would the bulb numbers be the same in Germany as in the UK. Also what is this H4 you mentioned.

Cheers

Steve
Old 28 August 2003, 03:22 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

HID bulbs work very well in morette (cibie) lenses.
Old 01 September 2003, 02:55 PM
Autolamps
Scooby Regular

Wurzel,

Yes the International description for bulbs is universal. Therefore an H4 in the UK is the same reference in Germany. The only slight confusion is the old Lucas numbers used in the UK market. The H4 for example is known as the 472 but keep it simple. If you ask anywhere in Germany for H1,H4 etc they will know what you are talking about.

The Morettes as far as I know are universally Ellipsoidal systems. This means that they have a smaller volume than a parabolic system so will run hotter whatever you put in. Dont be fooled by the market claims for 'Xenon' halogens , Xenon does nothing other than offering you longer life. You can read all about this by following the below links.

Here are some links which may help

http://www.autolamps-online.com/halogen/index.htm
http://www.autolamps-online.com/howwhy/index.htm

If I can help further let me know

Nick
Old 02 September 2003, 01:34 AM
justinber
Scooby Newbie

Don't bother with xenon 'bulbs' in your morettes - absolute rubbish, the light output is very poor. Although they look good front on if someone is looking at your car (because the light seems to be whiter) they are in fact almost useless at night, giving out a blueish tinged beam that seems in fact much less bright than standard bulbs! The only solution it seems is about a 500 pound spend on proper gas discharge conversion for the morette unit. Scoobysport do it - i'm going to get it done asap.
Old 02 September 2003, 02:45 PM
Daz WRX
Scooby Regular

I believe Nick from Autolamps can also provide the HID kits, I recall a group buy a while back for them. Think quite a few were ordered and all customers Verry happy with results and customer service.

Can I have a free set now for the free plug

Vision Plus seem better than standard, am yet to try the blue vision which output 4000K which is close to HID 4100K (well at least that what they say)

Daz.
Old 02 September 2003, 05:14 PM
Autolamps
Scooby Regular

Sure , contact us directly and I will be happy to send you a set of VisionPlus plus side lights.

The market is very well advanced on this subject in other countries, especially in the USA. The primary reason is they do not yet have many OE HID vehicles so the retrofit market is crazy. One mistake however is the confusion between LUMEN and KELVIN. One is light output and along with Luminance effect the performance of the product. The other, Kelvin is just colour expressed as an X,Y coordinate. Take a look at this graph.
http://www.hid-online.com/information/whatiscolourtemp.asp

The higher the KELVIN just means a different colour, nothing more nothing less. Therefore yes the new BlueVision are 4000K and the Standard HID lamp D2S are 4100K. This just means the colours are close but the performance is not. If you want perfomance improvement for halogen go VisionPlus.

Hoped this helps, thanks for the plug and as I say let me know your lamp types and address and I pop a set in the post to you

Nick

Old 03 September 2003, 11:06 AM
Daz WRX
Scooby Regular

Cheers Nick, I doubted that a £30 bulb could be almost as good as a HID.

I already have the side lights and mains but if you have a HID conversion for H7(morettes) going Actually can you mail me the cost of this as per profile as those dark times are drewing closer.

Lets face it chaps for the best lights on the market it going to have to be HID its just a shame they carry a hefty price tag.
Daz.
Old 04 September 2003, 07:05 PM
Autolamps
Scooby Regular

Daz

Sorry direct mail does not function, please mail us

sales@autolamps-online.com

Nick
Old 05 September 2003, 07:33 AM
Daz WRX
Scooby Regular