Notices

Aligning headlights

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2003, 05:50 PM
gljam
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Its probably been asked on here before but i've done a search and can't really find anything helpful.

I've just put some new bulbs in my headlights and i've now found that my drivers side headlight is pointing about 5 foot above the ground while the passenger one seems ok.

I've tried the bolt/screw adjuster on the right hand side of the light unit but it doesn't seem to be doing much, i've also tried the passenger side to see if that does anything with the same result.

So far i've spent about 30mins fiddling around with no result apart from a flat battery what am i doing wrong??
what should i be adjusting?? and should my battery die that quickly??

My cars a my97 with standard lights with the tilt adjustment.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, cheers
Old 23 December 2003, 07:42 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Unhappy

Phew, bad luck! But if all you did was change bulbs, the lights shouldn't need resetting

1) Before doing ANYTHING else, check that the bulbs are both SEATED right in the lights. More poor performances come because of badly seated bulbs than any other.
They are VERY easy to upset even when refittingn the connections!

2) I ALWAYS set up my lights with the engine running. It'll keep the battery topped up, so no probs.

3) Do it one light at a time, with the other covered with cloth, card etc etc. Set up the main beams for good throw, range, and side-to-side, the dips will be OK if the main beams are.

4) As far as battery life is concerned: if it really took half an hour you've had at least 8 amps, (and that's if you don't have uprated bulbs), for this amount of time. Your battery will be abit tired at the least, and that's if it was in tip-top condition.
Give it a charge, and try again tomorrow after checking seating.

Alcazar
Old 23 December 2003, 08:56 PM
gljam
Scooby Regular

Cheers alcazar, managed to get the car running again

Assuming the bulb is seated properly which screws should i be turning to adjust the beam? and could i have knocked anything when i was putting the bulb in?
Old 24 December 2003, 01:27 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

You're unlikely to have knocked anything unless you had the headlight right out.

On a car with electric beam adjusters, the screw you need to turn is large, and on top of the light almost. That's the one that does up/down. I used a socket on it when I messed about with mine, before giving up and going the Morette route:

Alcazar
Old 24 December 2003, 02:39 PM
gljam
Scooby Regular

Cheers again i found that the little ball joint to the left is really loose and pops out whenever you push the bulb connector onto the bulb making the whole inside of the light lift up, all sorted now thanks