Notices

HIDs in front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2004, 01:29 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone replaced their fog light covers on an sti with HID spot lights?

Does anyone know the size of lamp unit needed? is there an HID bulb which is brighter than the rest? What to go for? wide beam pattern? pencil beam? is there a model which is head and shoulders above the rest? perhaps the small ones sold on the P1?

any ideas?

sorry for all the questions, but I want a main beam which kicks ****!

Not sure how it will secure to the bumper in the case of the 22b but doubt many will know that answer anyway.

Old 20 January 2004, 02:15 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

Scooby tc has had a thread on here recently about doing something very similar, although I can't remember if it was HID's or not.
You ought to be able to get the fixings for foglights, as the bumpers are (almost??) the same, and then fit the Scoobysport HID driving lights. They ARE awesome, 35W, giving 300W halogen equivalent, with an EXCELLENT Hella light unit which puts the light exactly where you want it, and dead easy to fit!
Do make sure you're sat down before looking at the price though:

AFAIK, all HID bulbs are the same brightness, but NOT all are made as well as the philips ones, and NIOT all reflectors are as good as the Hella ones.

Alcazar
Old 20 January 2004, 04:48 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

For a sh*t hot mainbeam the best option is an Autolamps on line HID conversion of your normal main beam. This is half the price of scoobysports HID Hellas and just as good.

I already had the scoobysport HID Hellas from my WRX so I fitted them to my STi7 then a month later converted the main beams with last years group buy, virtually the same light from both.

So just to be really silly I converted the Hellas from drive pattern to spot light pattern with new lenses. There is a huge diffence in light pattern. The HID mains do the normal mains pattern but much brighter and further and the HID spots do the extreme distance work.
Old 20 January 2004, 04:59 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Question

Chelspeed: do you mind me asking where you sourced the new HID reflectors for your Scoobysport Hella 1000FF HID's?
Mine have clear lenses, so would need new reflectors. I assume this is what you did?

And do you mind saying how much?

Thanks,
Alcazar, (thinking of HID main beam).
Old 21 January 2004, 01:08 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Adam,

Try GGR, last time I looked on their web site they had driving lamp brackets for a 22b @ £50.

Dave.
Old 21 January 2004, 01:13 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

Adam,

Just looked again and they are for their PIAA lamp kit, so not sure its of much value unless you get PIAA HID lamps as I bet the fixing is different from Cibies/others.

Dave.
Old 22 January 2004, 10:22 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Sorry for the delay, not been looking recently.

The changes were a complete new reflector and lens unit, it's one piece. I got them from Demon Tweeks who are a Hella agent. Had to order them though but only took a few days and they were posted direct from Hella to me. I dealt with Dave Kimberley at Demon, top guy.

Make sure you specify HID's though as they sent me a normal bulb one when I tried to change the second one (I tried one drive and one spot first). I think the normal bulb one is 1000FF and the HID version is 1000FFF so the confusion is not too surprising. They changed it without problem though.

Cost was £85 each if I recall but as it's 90% of the light you are changing I guess that's not to surprising. Makes you realise how important the scoobysport plastic covers are.
Old 22 January 2004, 01:50 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

thanks for the advice, but on the 22B, all I can get is the hylow H4 hids which is what i have.

They are great for dip beam but the main beam isn't ideal. |It is HID but not a great lighting.

Am, not realy sure what I should be going for, main beam pattern or spot light pattern.

is there a way of buying the complete new HID kit from demon, or another company, if so, how much is the 1000FFF kit.

Which reflectors do I want to go for?

I was thinking about ordering the cibie adapter kit from ggr, but these leave the lights protruding beyond the bumper which is not attractive. I would far rather copy the 22b uk fog ligh supports, or failing that, copy the covers and cut into the copies.
Old 22 January 2004, 05:58 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

is there a way of buying the complete new HID kit from demon, or another company, if so, how much is the 1000FFF kit.
Scoobysport do a kit for these in HID, can't remember the exact price, but over £700 rings a bell, and plastic clear covers are a MUST at £90 if you break one!!

Which reflectors do I want to go for?
Personally, I'd stick with driving lights, as I find spot beams very "tunnel vision" and not too much use on twisty roads, but it's all down to personal preference.
Maybe the Hella "Virtual light tunnel" has been updated with both beam patterns available to look at? Worth a visit.

I was thinking about ordering the cibie adapter kit from ggr, but these leave the lights protruding beyond the bumper which is not attractive. I would far rather copy the 22b uk fog ligh supports, or failing that, copy the covers and cut into the copies.
If you can get the bumper fittings, ie: so that foglights would fit, the Scoobysport HID's fit into them and take about 30 minutes to fit including the wiring.
I love mine, although I sometimes wish they weren't set so low: ideally, they'd be on a level with the headlights.
If I ever get the time, and when the weather gets better, I might look into a set of the Hella small HID's set into the main beams of my Morettes......now there's a thought:

Alcazar
Old 22 January 2004, 07:11 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Agree with this.

If you have conventional main beam bulbs then fit drive pattern HID spots.

But if you have HID main beam then drive pattern HID spots duplicate the light pattern, in this case spot pattern HID spots are useful.