Notices

the most powerful driving lights?

Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2004, 10:23 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the most powerful driving lights?

Need help on this one.
now that andi (legacyturbs) and gary (hyp1c) are helping us sort the brackets for supporting driving lights in the 22b bumper, I need to find a suitable lamp unit and bulb to give me as much in the way of main beam as possible.

I am limited to locating the driving lamp in the fog light position which I know is not ideal, but as it stands my main beam is way sub standard and I don't want to lose the dipped beam hids which are far better than standard.

does anyone know what I should be trying to fit?

what type of bulb? cost? availability?

perhaps we can get someone to put a package together?

I need to do something.

Other option is to have the brackets made to be mroe like fog light covers and sink the P1 HID driving lamps in there.

Does anyone know if they are any good?
Old 02 March 2004, 10:58 AM
markwild
Scooby Regular

don't know if this is of any help....wildsworld - PIAA lights.

I fitted them a month ago to suppliment my HIDS and took these photos last week..

Mark
Old 02 March 2004, 11:27 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up It has to be HID!

If you want the ultimate in main beam performance, you really have to go HID driving light route.

They only draw 35W but produce the equivalent of 300w of halogen light, only whiter!

Scoobysport do Hella 1000FF HIDs, and I have those mounted in the bumper of my Impreza, and can thoroughly recommend them.

Quite a few others now do HID too, at varying prices:

Hella: the small P1 type lamps, which are excellent, at about £300 each
PIAA: very expensive,
Cibie: price unknown as yet
Raydyot: about £270 each

If you want to do some comparison with halogen and different HID try the Hella "Virtual Light Tunnel" on their site, very interesting.

Alcazar
Old 02 March 2004, 11:53 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

thanks for the info.

are the 1000ff really that good?

i was told that they would suffer as a result of being so low but I have to do something as the main beam from the hy/lows isnt good enough for my needs. Dip beam to too good to revert back to halogens.

Do you know from experience that the P1 hellas are any good?

I assume they arent in the same league. hella also now do a lumenator which is another HID kit, and according to their light tunnel, it seems to give out even better light than the 1000FF.

Any comments?
Old 02 March 2004, 03:16 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Cool

I can only speak with authority on the Scoobysport HID, Hella 1000FF lamps: they are simply brilliant, and, as you say, their only drawback has to be mounting them low as in a Scoob bumper.
That's one reason why I'm thinking of mounting a pair of the 90mm P1 type in my Morette inner (main beam) position, in place of the halogen H2 bulbed Cibie ones.

I haven't tried the P1 lights, but P1 owners on here with them do say they are excellent..........not sure how they compare with the 1000FF though, I always thought bigger ought to be better as far as reflectors are concerned, ( but I did have some VERY good small Raydyot Halogen lamps, mounted either side of the numberplate, before I saved up enough for the HIDs, and they gave the lie to that idea.)

Which brings me onto the Luminators: I've seen 'em in use on an HGV, and they are awesome: he had 6 of them too!
I'm not sure they aren't TOO big to mount successfully on a Scoob, other than in a pod on the bonnet, and the cost is HUGE.........about £700 each IIRC

BTW: the Raydyot HIDs I mentioned in my first post, are actually made by Ring, not Raydyot.

Alcazar

Edited to add: If you live anywhere near me, Scunny, North Lincs, you're welcome to come and see mine working.
And before anyone adds owt to that, I mean the lights:

Last edited by alcazar; 02 March 2004 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02 March 2004, 07:34 PM
Smiler1
Scooby Regular

Smile

You could try some AP Rally lights, they use a 130/100W H4 bulb. I bought these off a chap on Scoobynet and they are bloody bright. The cibie's I had before dont even come close.

Cheers
Iain
Old 02 March 2004, 07:41 PM
JGRIFF
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yes the 1000ff's are that good, you have to dip on the approach to major road signs, as the reflected light with them on is dazzling!!!. It's the same light unit that SWRT use on the cars
Old 03 March 2004, 03:54 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Adam

I've got P1 HIDs on my wagon & they are excellent

I live in the boonies and I don't have any problem seeing where I'm going when they're on. Put it this way, I have yet to find that they don't light up the road quick enough for me not to see where I'm going - ie I haven't outpaced them yet

You do get blinded by road-signs sometimes, but thats not a bad thing ie seeing them. The only other problem is that sometimes you don't see on-coming cars headlights reflected off verges & stuff on corners 'cos they're so good, so on the twistiest busy routes, I find myself dipping in order to check sometimes.

Otherwise

Last edited by Puff The Magic Wagon!; 03 March 2004 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05 March 2004, 10:15 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

The trouble is mounting in the 22b bumper is very limited.

I am thinking I may use the standard PIAA lamp units which fir perfectly and are an H3 fitting, I was then going to see about buying an H3 HID bulb from autolamps-online, but I am struggling to find their website.

Failing that, I could butcher a set of 22B fog light covers and just mount the P1 Lights in there. Are they heavy? and if I buy them from a subaru dealer are they just bulbs or are they full lamp units? I ask because it was a £700 upgrade on the P1 originally and I don't knwo what you got for that.
Old 06 March 2004, 10:51 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The P1 lights are a full kit: reflector unit, ballast and lamp, but aren't cheap.

They are made by Hella, and part numbers are
With sidelight:1KO 008 192-007
Without sidelight:1KO 008 192-017

They are also available as dips for those who want to butcher some Morettes etc: 1LL 008 194 037

A supporting frame for the HID lights, similar to the one used on the P1 conversion, costs about £11, and has part number: 9AH 157 659 007

Ther's a good photo of the lights and ballast in the latest Demon Tweeks Blue catalogue, and Hella will fax you a copy of their catalogue if you ring customer services.

You'd have to ask a Hella dealer for prices on the lamps etc, as they will have the price-list.
Around the £300 mark, I was quoted.

Alcazar
Old 06 March 2004, 02:36 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
Adam

I've got P1 HIDs on my wagon & they are excellent
Smart ****

We have hids in our headlamps but only dip beam because I think we dont need main beam because we have the Piaa spots for main beam the only problem is that it's not very mot freindly

It's good when you get joe asshalf coming towards you with his fogs on you just give him a tase of his own
medicine

I'm picking up my lamp pod later for the bonnet 2 up 2 down style, the only worry is the intercooler airflow being blockedby the pod so will have to work on that one, but could be realy good with 4 P1 lamps in it

Last edited by Huxley; 06 March 2004 at 02:54 PM. Reason: forgot something!!
Old 17 March 2004, 12:42 PM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

As far as I can tell, the fog light conversion (Hella 1000F) are only available for the Classics. What do you chaps recommend for the Bugeye models? I don't want to modify the head lights if I can avoid it but would prefer to have the fog lights replaced.
Old 17 March 2004, 01:16 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by Faire D'Income
As far as I can tell, the fog light conversion (Hella 1000F) are only available for the Classics. What do you chaps recommend for the Bugeye models? I don't want to modify the head lights if I can avoid it but would prefer to have the fog lights replaced.
Speak to Scoobysport, I'm almost certain they fit the bugeye, if not the blobeye.

Alcazar
Old 17 March 2004, 01:34 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Speak to Scoobysport, I'm almost certain they fit the bugeye, if not the blobeye.

Alcazar
They definately fit the bugeyes
Old 17 March 2004, 02:00 PM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar

Alcazar
Cheers, I just rang them and they don't do them anymore - hence my question.
Old 17 March 2004, 02:05 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Don't do them anymore? Shame -- they're awesome. Are they supplying an alternative?
Old 18 March 2004, 06:35 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

I've got a second hand set of Scoobysport Hella 1000FFF HID driving lamps that fit the bugeye fog light holes. They were originally fitted to a MY01 WRX then changed to my MY02 STi type UK Prodrive style. Now surplus to requirements as I'm going MY04 and they have smaller fog lights.

They can come with driving or long range lenses and with or without the genuine Subaru curved plastic foglight covers to fit the STi (in WR Blue). If someone just wants lights then the other lenses and covers will also be for sale.

Also got a pair of brand new genuine Subaru MY01 or 02 foglights, bought as a kit from Subaru to get the brackets and wiring to fit the spots but never even fitted on the car. Ideal if you have cracked fog light lenses.
Old 18 March 2004, 09:29 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Wink

And those HIDs are the dog's danglies:

I wonder why Scoobysport don't do them any more? The 1000FF units are certainly available............

Alcazar
Old 05 May 2004, 11:23 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Huxley - where did you get the lamp pods from ? price ? and finally any pics ?