Notices

MY03 headlight probs

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2004, 10:01 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY03 headlight probs

Has anyone else upgraded the lamps in their MY03 headlights?

We have upgraded them pn both of the company MY03s, mine is now on its fourth set, the other car on its third.

Keeps blowing the near-side on both cars. Neither car has blown an off side lamp yet.
Old 22 March 2004, 10:18 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

By "upgraded", do you mean higher wattage lamps? Or Philips Vision Plus types with same wattage, but 50% uprated?

In either case, the filament is at a ahigher temperature, to give the extra brightness, and therefore, likely to be far more fragile, and susceptible to thermal and physical shock.

The fact that it's always the same side bulb that goes, could be just coincidence, but could also be down to cooling?

Did you uprate the wiring at the same time as the lamps? A good idea might be to use relays to bring current direct from the battery, via a fuse, (pref. on the relay), with thicker wiring from battery to lamps, and lamps to earth, (28/010 is about right up to 130 Watts), and control the relays from the original headlight wiring.
You'd need at least two relays, one for main, one for dip, but relays on their own, with thicker wiring, tends to make a difference to brightness, even if standard lamps are in use, see previous threads on "relaying headlights, by TimH)

Alcazar
Old 22 March 2004, 10:26 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't uprate the wiring, just changed the lamps. I have used several different types, all of which appear to be the same wattage but claim to be brighter.

I only changed this last set on Friday- near side blew somewhere between Somerset and Liverpool last night.

I did notice on friday that whilst the new lamp in the off-side looked bluey white as it should, the near side looked like a standard lamp. Would this indicate anything to you?

Thanks for your help,
Simon.
Old 22 March 2004, 10:38 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Not really, just manufacturing differences.

I recently upgraded the lamps in wife's Xantia, which uses H1.

I shopped around, and was appalled that most people wanted £5 each, or more for H1 lamps, but eventually found a pair, eastern european make, for £1.99 each!

Guess what? One lasted 30 minutes, the other, 3 weeks.

Both are now replaced by Halfrauds 100W ones, fingers crossed.

I did note that your problem lamp seems to be on the near side. Now I don't have experience of new age scoobs, but my classic is very tight and restricted on that side, whereas it's open, and has a cold air feed on the o/s.

If yours is similar, it could still be cooling problems.

Alcazar