Notices

Help a Yank out...rear fog light switch question

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2004, 12:05 AM
DomozitoLK
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Help a Yank out...rear fog light switch question

I am looking to rewire my taillamps to EU spec and source a rear fog light switch so I can have an integrated rear fog in the taillights. I did this with my last car (a 1997 VW Golf Cabrio) and a european switch. It looks like a similar procedure with the Impreza's sedan tails (outer lights=brakes, middle=parking, insides=fog). Where currently the US-spec tails are (outer lights=park/brakes, middle=parking, insides=brake).
  1. Where can I buy the rear fog light switch? Is is a separate button? We can't get them here in the US, so I need a part number (for MY04 Impreza WRX). A specific dealer lead that would ship me parts to the US (California) would be ideal.
  2. A wiring schematic would be nice too...if someone could forward that to me, I'd be very grateful. Or better yet, tell me where I can purchase a UK/EU work shop manual. I have the CD-ROMs with PDFs you can get on ebay...but I'd really like a hard copy with european schematics.
Thanks in advance!

Rob

Last edited by DomozitoLK; 22 May 2004 at 12:20 AM.
Old 22 May 2004, 12:08 AM
DomozitoLK
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Also if someone wouldn't mind taking a pic of where the rear fog switch is mounted on a UK/EU Impreza and either posting it here or emailing it to me that would be great.

Thanks again!
Old 22 May 2004, 03:29 AM
DomozitoLK
Scooby Newbie

How about, I'll show you mine if you show me yours?!?...does the UK rear fog switch go in any of these places (opposite side of the car of course)? Do we have the same switches? Where does your rear fog switch mount?

Thanks!

Old 22 May 2004, 03:42 AM
DomozitoLK
Scooby Newbie

I think I found an Australian STI setup...hope the pic shows:

Old 22 May 2004, 02:39 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

UK rear fog switch is the same as the Aus spec picture. The rear fog switch looks similar to the front fog switch but the lamp points the other way. It fits in the same place as yours (but the other side...). UK STi's have from the right, rear fog, front fog, intercooler spray, headlamp level, similar to the Aus STi picture but only one IC spray switch as it's manual only. UK WRX's have from right to left rear fogs, front fogs, a single blanking cover and headlamp level.

Big difference is that the rear fog switch doesn't latch. You press it once and it goes in and comes straight back out. The lights come on and the tell tale lights up in the switch. But turn the ignition off and next time you turn it back on the fog light won't be on, you need to press it again. So the latching is in the relay persumably. Whereas the front fogs you turn on and the switch stays in and fog lights come on everytime you turn the sidelights on. Which explains why the muppets driving BMW's, Saxos and 106's aren't the only people to leave them on for months at a time.

Sorry no part number or schematics though.
Old 23 May 2004, 04:06 PM
DomozitoLK
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Thanks for taking the time to post! That's good info...
Old 23 May 2004, 07:47 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Info pics and wiring diagrams for US models .....

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433

Steve