Notices

UK vs JDM STI Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2004, 11:26 AM
Bain
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UK vs JDM STI Headlights

Can any one tell me the difference between the UK and the JDM STI bugeye headlights. I know that the JDM ones are HID, are the UK? Is the fitment different?
Cheers
Ian
Old 23 July 2004, 09:06 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Ian,

UK bugeye Sti lights are halogen bulbs, not HID. The JDM ones physically fit the same as UK ones but the wiring will be a little different - mainly for the HID ballasts etc. AFAIK it's possible to get some non-HID non-UK ones but these might be for different markets (e.g. USDM) and if they are for the US then they are for driving on the other side so the beam cutoffs will be wrong for over here (Japan drives on the same side as UK if you didn't know)
Old 30 July 2004, 05:22 PM
Nick Martin
Scooby Regular

apart from there being a difference in that the JDM oem lights are HID, the UK spec units are also not a direct replacement for the "bugeye" light unit. The vehicle wiring looms are significantly different such that you will need to do some wiring of your own.
The bugeye light unit uses an H4 connector,as dipped beam and full beam are served by the same bulb. In the STI light unit these two beam paterns are served by 2 seperate bulbs and have 2 seperate connectors, not H4.
However, these two bulbs use a common +ve feed, switchable earth requiring a bit of wiring to make it work. To wire it up you must either chop the H4 connector off your vehicle loom and hard wire the light units in, or you make up a jumper as i did.
Getting hold of the connectors is another matter. The connectors to fit the bulbs i robbed of the correct age clio at the breakers and the mating connector to the H4 on the WRX loom i moulded myself as i could not find a mating H4 connector that would fit the Subaru H4 connector outer profile.

Took me a bit of time, but it is a truely plug n play harness.

The beam levelling motor is a whole different ball game.
Old 30 July 2004, 05:45 PM
Nick Martin
Scooby Regular

oh and i just ordered the Uk light units through my local dealer (at the time) lancaster sevenoaks.
No problem ordering the parts, but they wouldnt touch the work required for the install.