Notices

Where does the turbo timer plug into?

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2004, 10:36 AM
HomerJunior
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where does the turbo timer plug into?

I recently bought a second hand HKS turbo timer and have no idea where to plug it into! It already has a plastic connector loom. I assume it goes into the ECU but since I have no instructions I can't even try to do it!

Any help is appreciated.

HomerJ.
Old 09 December 2004, 01:09 PM
TONY MILNE
Scooby Newbie

the turbo timer should have a plug with 4 terminals,if it came off a scooby u should also have a small loom ,if it didnt you will need to buy one there about £10 ,which plugs in to it and splits in to 2 plugs ,this plugs in between the ignition switch,its a pretty straight forward job
Old 09 December 2004, 02:38 PM
rallyfan1977
Scooby Regular

I have also recently purchased an HKS Type 1 Timer for my MY03
After doing research I have found that, as mentioned above, there are 2 connectors for this priece of equipment, one is inserted into the ignition wiring and the other contains several wires that are cut into the ECU pin outs.
You should also have a wire (on my system it's grey) that goes to the handbrake.
If you don't have the HKS instructions, I can probably organise a photocopy if you need it.
The biggest problem I have had is finding out which of the pin outs are required for the timer. more news on that this weekend when the job is done.
Old 09 December 2004, 02:56 PM
HomerJunior
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys. If either of you have photos of where I connect it to I would be grateful. You are both correct, there is basically two connectos on the loom. It looks like I should unplug something and then put the existing plug back into the loom. I will try to take a photo later for clarification.

To get to the ignition wiring I assume the protective case from around the sterring column needs to be removed?

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by HomerJunior
I recently bought a second hand HKS turbo timer and have no idea where to plug it into! It already has a plastic connector loom. I assume it goes into the ECU but since I have no instructions I can't even try to do it!

Any help is appreciated.

HomerJ.
Old 09 December 2004, 08:37 PM
HomerJunior
Scooby Regular

Here are the photos:

If anyone can show me where it goes I will be most grateful!

Cheers.

HomerJ.
Old 09 December 2004, 11:12 PM
TONY MILNE
Scooby Newbie

if u remove the lower steering column cover and follow the loom from the ignition barrell you will find the multie plug ur after,unplug it and fit ur mini loom in between , and thats about it
Old 10 December 2004, 01:52 AM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

sorry if i sounds dumb here but why do u need a turbo timer if you remember to leave your engine on once you stop? Is it in case you forget or something?
Old 10 December 2004, 08:20 AM
HomerJunior
Scooby Regular

The number of times I have been driving for a couple of hours on the motorway and just jump out the car and turn it off. I am worried about damaging the turbo so bought is for piece of mind really.

Originally Posted by fastfrank
sorry if i sounds dumb here but why do u need a turbo timer if you remember to leave your engine on once you stop? Is it in case you forget or something?
Old 10 December 2004, 11:07 AM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

so it leaves your engine on for a set period of time to kool the turbo down then?

presume you have to leave your car in neutral when do turnoff the ignition then?

does this device keep the engine on regarless of operating temperatures e.g. quick run the tescos and never used the turbo?
Old 10 December 2004, 11:50 AM
HomerJunior
Scooby Regular

From what I understand you can set the turbo timer manually (for occassional use) or automatic (every time you turn the ignition off). The car has to be in neutral but you can remove the keys. It isn't temperature dependant but you can't arm the alarm though.

Hope this explains it! Will confirm when I get it all installed and running.

so it leaves your engine on for a set period of time to kool the turbo down then?

presume you have to leave your car in neutral when do turnoff the ignition then?

does this device keep the engine on regarless of operating temperatures e.g. quick run the tescos and never used the turbo?
Old 10 December 2004, 01:35 PM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

wow sounds complicated. wouldn't be too keen on not being able arm the vehicle till its done though. Thing is, if your in a rush to leave the vehicle who's gonna make sure the alarm activates.. or presume this is triggered by the TT finishing. I'm sure all will become clear once you install it like you said.

I usually wait for a minute or so when i've finished drive anyway (if hard) to do the same.
Old 10 December 2004, 06:35 PM
HomerJunior
Scooby Regular

Fair comment really. I am only planning on using it when I get home really so the car is in front of the house. I think I will wire it in and then maybe upgrade the alarm next year to accomodate it.

Oh well, guess it keeps me out of mischief at the weekend (and out of the missuses hair!)!

wow sounds complicated. wouldn't be too keen on not being able arm the vehicle till its done though. Thing is, if your in a rush to leave the vehicle who's gonna make sure the alarm activates.. or presume this is triggered by the TT finishing. I'm sure all will become clear once you install it like you said.

I usually wait for a minute or so when i've finished drive anyway (if hard) to do the same.
Old 10 December 2004, 08:42 PM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

lol.. enjoy the tinkering mate
Old 13 December 2004, 08:38 AM
HomerJunior
Scooby Regular

Right, the saga continues! I took the housing off the steering wheel and traced the ignition leads down and the results is three connectors. I am pretty sure two of them are for something else but the third blue connector has four connectors instead of the six connectos I have on the turbo timer.

Have I got the wrong loom connector and if so where can I buy the right one from?

Thanks.
Old 13 December 2004, 01:20 PM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

Now ive got a similar problem but with an Apexi TT.

Ive got the same harness as you (the bit on the right) and its supposed to plug into the blue part of the ignition harness. But it doesnt! Because as you said 4 pins -> 6 pins just doesnt go!

I cant find anywhere that does proper harnesses either! Grr might have to buy some electrical connectors and make my own!
Old 13 December 2004, 01:23 PM
HomerJunior
Scooby Regular

Let me know how your get on. Might have to do that too but am really lazy so may ask the garage to do it when I get my guages done. (Will sneak a photo and post it here for future reference!)

Originally Posted by olliecampbell
Now ive got a similar problem but with an Apexi TT.

Ive got the same harness as you (the bit on the right) and its supposed to plug into the blue part of the ignition harness. But it doesnt! Because as you said 4 pins -> 6 pins just doesnt go!

I cant find anywhere that does proper harnesses either! Grr might have to buy some electrical connectors and make my own!
Old 14 December 2004, 10:08 AM
rallyfan1977
Scooby Regular

Am going to attempt the install of mine this weekend, I have the same timer as Homer, but my wiring looms look different - will take some pics and post here next week.
My main concern is that the loom I have states for WRX >00 I'm hoping that the loom for the Blobeye isn't different.
Old 14 December 2004, 11:05 PM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

Right ive had a good look around and really really cant find anywhere that sells any decent amount of wiring looms. All i can find are hks ones for 2001+ grrr

Think im going to have to test my auto-electrician abilities! Maplins here i come!
Old 28 December 2004, 07:45 PM
rallyfan1977
Scooby Regular

Right ive had a good look around and really really cant find anywhere that sells any decent amount of wiring looms. All i can find are hks ones for 2001+ grrr

Think im going to have to test my auto-electrician abilities! Maplins here i come!
mine is now all done, installed and working perfectly (in fact it worked perfectly first time :-) )
I have a full set of photos that I took as we were doing the job, and had planned to produce a guide for the use of everyone on the site if there is enough interest.
I'm not sure how to get the guide published on the web though - moderators???
In the meantime, if anyone needs any advice, post here and I'll see what I can do.
Old 30 December 2004, 04:13 PM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

can i get a copy of the photos/guide please?
Was yours a simple unplug/plug in or did you have to wire it yourself?
Old 30 December 2004, 07:42 PM
rallyfan1977
Scooby Regular

can i get a copy of the photos/guide please?
Was yours a simple unplug/plug in or did you have to wire it yourself?
In the majority it was a simple unplug / plug installation.
Under the dashbaord it was simply a case of unplugging the ignition module and inserting the timer wiring loom.
The more difficult bit was connecting the RPM sensor and speed sensor wires into the ECU loom, once I had determined which wires were needed, I simply used a couple of scotchloc connectors to tap in to the circuits.
The handbrake wire runs down the drivers side of the center console, I scotchloc connected into this as well.... job done basically.
PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you the guide and pics as soon as I finish writing it.