Notices

Wiring Prodrive Driving Lights!!

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2004, 10:54 AM
The Incredible Hulk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring Prodrive Driving Lights!!

Guys please help! A friend and I went to fit me prodrive driving lights in place of the standard fog lights on my 01 WRX. All went well (apart from parts missing - thank you prodrive!) until it came to the internal switch / relay wiring. The instructions all refer to a 32 pin unit and we are completely lost in finding this beast! We had the drivers side all stripped looking for it and, well we couldn't find it! Please can someone help as I'm pulling my hair out trying to complete the final part of the job. I quickly tried the lights via the fog switch and OH LORDY serious lighting power!!

Kevin
Old 21 December 2004, 12:55 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

I couldn't find it either.

I found a different wiring plug that goes directly into the back of the dash instrument panel which has the same wires in it. From memory it was pin 2 and 1 rather than pins 1 and 2 on the prodrive diagram but the wiring colours were right. They supply the blue light on the dash when main beams on I think, you just jump of these and use them to switch the relay via the ex-foglight switch.

I've got more details written down at home but can't post them until Wed night at the earliest.
Old 22 December 2004, 12:49 PM
The Incredible Hulk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chelspeed
I couldn't find it either.

I found a different wiring plug that goes directly into the back of the dash instrument panel which has the same wires in it. From memory it was pin 2 and 1 rather than pins 1 and 2 on the prodrive diagram but the wiring colours were right. They supply the blue light on the dash when main beams on I think, you just jump of these and use them to switch the relay via the ex-foglight switch.

I've got more details written down at home but can't post them until Wed night at the earliest.
Ta matey, would be appreciated, Spoke to Prodrive who discussed the wiring and I think I now the plug now, it is located on the LHS of the steering wheel (as you sit in the drivers seat) and has some grey foam insulation in it.

Hopefully resolve it all soon.

Kevin
Old 22 December 2004, 02:56 PM
Trumble
Scooby Regular

Ive got them scanned in you can find them here

Shameless plug, but I also have some driving light covers for them available for a modest fee...

Fitted

They're pretty good.

T.
Old 22 December 2004, 07:50 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

As promised here's my interpretation.

Prodrive say pick up a blue and white wire on pin 2 of a 32 pin plug and a red wire on pin 1 of the same plug.

Like you I couldn't find the 32 pin plug. But I did find a 30 pin plug, marked as plug 110, going into the back of the dash itself which had a blue/white wire on pin 1 and a red wire on pin 2. I stuck the fluke on these and they go to 12V on main beam so I risked it and it worked out.
Old 22 December 2004, 08:12 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

chelspeed after you e mailed me the instructions a while back I have since fitted the driving lights using the 30 pin socket like yourself and yes it works no probs
Old 22 December 2004, 08:21 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Trumble: YHPM.

And yes, I'd advise ANYONE with driving lights mounterd as low as this, to have clear covers as soon as the lights are fitted.
A Hella reflector/lens will be £50 plus, AFAIK., added to the inconvenience of sourcing and fitting one.

Alcazar
Old 22 December 2004, 09:14 PM
Trumble
Scooby Regular

You need to take off the bottom of the dash - then you'll see loads of wires - the one your intested in is the size of a bus.

I did find difficult wiring into on of the connectors (sorry cant remember which) and ended up to splicing them onto a small bit of wire and then that onto the one on th loom.

I also soldered the ends of the wires before crimping.

Having said all that - well worth the effort - I fitted them in december and only got round to doing the mainbeam wiring in february.

T.

Alcazar - YHPM - could do meet as probably passing through on 28/29
Old 23 December 2004, 11:49 AM
The Incredible Hulk
Scooby Regular

Trumble, many thanks for all the information you provided, and to the others as well. I called Prodrive and they called back yesterday. The chap talked me through the dash location of the plug, and it ties in with your commentary. I intend to splice the wires in as well, soldering them in place. Will do it over the festive period when I need a break from all that Christmas cheer

Kevin

P.S. Trumble if the covers are still for sale give me a shout, I think I'll get a price off of Subaru as well incase you've already worked a deal with Alcazar.
Old 23 December 2004, 02:13 PM
Trumble
Scooby Regular

I found the hardest bit was crimping the right angled connectors to the wires that then push onto the bulbs. As I recall I buggered 3 up before I got it right - get a proper tool.

T.
Old 13 February 2005, 03:55 AM
Rally1
Scooby Newbie

Are these instructions an either or?

Ie do you have to rewire the relay and the switch, or just one or the other?
Old 13 February 2005, 10:48 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Both. Relay and switch.

Standard fogs is 12V from the normal lights to one side of the relay coil and then a link to the switch and an earth on the other side of the switch. When the lights are on the fog light switch puts earth on the other side of the relay coil, the relay pulls in and the fog lights come on.

Prodrive driving lights has 12V and earth from the 31 way plug. One side of the 31 way is connected to one side of the relay coil and then a link to the switch and the other side of the 31 way is on the other side of the switch. When the main beam is on and the light switch on the relay pulls in and the driving lights come on.

So you need to mod both.
Old 14 February 2005, 05:56 PM
dave-h
Scooby Regular

i have a set forsale, off my sti7 including front panels to take lights £200 in blue black.
Old 19 February 2005, 03:52 PM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

Hulk Is yours bug an import or a uk dealer supplied car, and if you don`t mind me asking which part was missing as i just tried to get a set fitted to mine by the dealer and they said they couldn`t do it. Due to uk cars being differant to euro imports and jap cars.