Notices

Anyone fitted HID after market kit to 04 Uk STI??

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2004, 09:23 AM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone fitted HID after market kit to 04 Uk STI??

Autolamps and others do these kits.
Has anyone fitted one and if so what are they like??
I fitted a kit to my 02 car which already had the diffuser type lens fitted.
Can you fit them without having this>>???
All the cars I have owned in the past have always had a diffuser type lens fitted with factory fit Xenon`s. BMW etc
Old 30 December 2004, 11:03 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Yep. But it's got the Subaru twin headlight kit fitted.

But still valid as it hasn't got the bullseye style reflector/lens which I think is what I call what you call a diffuser!! It's an autolamps-on-line kit with H7 style HID bulbs. I also had a MY02 and did dip and main HID conversions in the group buy a couple of years ago. Now swopped those kits onto my MY04, needed new bulbs as the old ones were 9005 and H1, but swopped the looms and ballast boxes across.

Works really well. Dip cut-off is not quite as good as the MY02 but still pretty good. Main beam is well bright.
Old 30 December 2004, 04:47 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chelspeed
Yep. But it's got the Subaru twin headlight kit fitted.

But still valid as it hasn't got the bullseye style reflector/lens which I think is what I call what you call a diffuser!! It's an autolamps-on-line kit with H7 style HID bulbs. I also had a MY02 and did dip and main HID conversions in the group buy a couple of years ago. Now swopped those kits onto my MY04, needed new bulbs as the old ones were 9005 and H1, but swopped the looms and ballast boxes across.

Works really well. Dip cut-off is not quite as good as the MY02 but still pretty good. Main beam is well bright.
I want to know how the kit is fitted into the standard 03/04 headlight unit not Morrette style????
I only did dip on my 02 STI and they were a little yellow compared to a BMER but better than standard.
Old 30 December 2004, 10:09 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

But you also asked if they could be fitted without the diffuser. The morette conversion has no diffuser so the answer is clearly yes, you can easily fit an autolamps kit into standard MY03/04 headlamps.

Whether it is bluer than a BM or not is down to the colour temperature of the kit nothing to do with the installation or lens type. Autolamps kits come in 4200K or 6000K options, the higher the number the bluer it will look. Thats for bling value. You actually get most light from a 4200K kit. So if BM have gone for bling value (6000K) and you had chosen the kit for max vision (4200K) then they would have appeared slighly less blue. But thats a good thing.

HID will always be miles better than standard headlights. An excellent mod. Do it.

Last edited by Chelspeed; 30 December 2004 at 10:12 PM.
Old 31 December 2004, 08:46 AM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Chelspeed where did you get your replacement bulbs from? I need two H4 to change the kit I had.
Old 31 December 2004, 09:18 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

I spoke to Janet at Autolamps-on-line, 01244 881961.

It's easy to change from H1 to H7 or whatever as they're all single filament, you just change the bulb bit. Not sure about H4 though as it's dual filament. Speak to Janet and find out the options.
Old 31 December 2004, 10:20 AM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

It's easy to change from H1 to H7 or whatever as they're all single filament, you just change the bulb bit. Not sure about H4 though as it's dual filament. Speak to Janet and find out the options.
Is an 03/04 STI (inc WR1) H4 or H1???
So its dip only I reckon.
Someone did mention to me about the "focus" ???
Old 31 December 2004, 11:29 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Arron,

Without getting technical as I'll lose myself I think the bit you've heard about focus is the positioning of the bulb inside the lamp to get the best output, i.e. the brightest bit of the bulb should be where the design of the lamp will be most efficient - e.g. in a hyperbolic or eliptical reflector, there's a focus point where the light will be bounced out of the lamp best - if you move the bulb forwards or back from this point then the light level will drop slightly...

If you think of a satellite / sky dish, the reciever on the end of the stick in the middle should be at the focus point taking in max rays - in a headlamp you want to send the most possible light outwards so you stick the source where it should do it most efficiently

A gash explanation but a starter for 10 - for expert opinion see Nick / Janet at Autolamps

Andy

PS sticking it where the light don't shine is another topic completely
Old 31 December 2004, 01:21 PM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Thanks
Old 31 December 2004, 06:13 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Arron - MY03/04 (inc WR1) has 9005 main beam and H1 for dip beam. You can do HID on either or both using kits from Autolamps.

Focus would be a problem, exactly as Apple described, but thats all sorted by Autolamps. When they take an HID bulb and modify it to replace an H1 bulb they bond on an H1 base in the right position so that the arc of the HID is in exactly the same place as the filament on the H1 was (ie exactly in the focus of the reflector).

Easy peasy. Autolamps have done all the hard work already.
Old 31 December 2004, 06:53 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Chelspeed - we ought to be on commission from Autolamps for all the bits they must be selling on our experiences

I'm on my second or third HID set and it seems you're similar...

Andy

Last edited by Apple; 02 January 2005 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01 January 2005, 10:06 PM
IanH26
Scooby Newbie

Also heard of this place but no personal experience of them. Saw the info on a different site with good feedback.
Hope this helps.