Notices

Headlamp bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2005, 08:22 PM
zxr750Nick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlamp bulbs

Both, yes, both H4 bulbs blew on the same day. No underlying issues and fuses all ok. Odd.
Trip to Halfords and purchased a pair of (Off road use only!) 100/80W. ( £6.99 each)

Dipped they do not seem any brighter than the old standard ones, but on beam, along with the 130W cibies the tar melts.

Only issue is, will the headlamp not melt as well?
Can anybody please advise ?

http://nickjdavies.fotopic.net/p8920386.html

Nick
Old 07 February 2005, 10:55 PM
stair
Scooby Regular

Don't know about the headlamp unit itself although I should imagine it will be alright however the fuses and wiring will be dimmensioned for 60/40 so you are almost doubling the current that has to be carried.

The cable used is almost certainly the minimum guage required by the applicable safety standard (don't know what that is in the automotive world but IEC EN60950 in my world). The result is that the cable may get excessively hot which can lead to cable droop (thus getting into places it should not be) and/or the insulation melting which is an obvious fire risk.

Your best bet would be to get a set of one of the various high intensity bulbs designed for road use, they make an appreciable difference and are alot easier to fit than a new loom!

Stair
Old 08 February 2005, 07:18 AM
OllieC
Scooby Regular

I nearly took out a cyclist recently because I was blinded by an oncoming car with incredibly bright lights so personally I don't think they're very clever.
Old 08 February 2005, 09:32 AM
ThrustSSC
Scooby Regular

Be prepared for lots of other drivers giving you the main-beam-in-your-face treatment...
Old 08 February 2005, 11:58 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by ThrustSSC
Be prepared for lots of other drivers giving you the main-beam-in-your-face treatment...
Only if your beam level is not set correctly. The hieght of the the beam is controlled by the reflectors and not the bulbs. And to some extent the cars suspension condition.

I run 90/130's and never get flashed.

The only exception is if I have a load of mates in the back seat ...in which case I knock the beam leveller down to 1 or 2. And on the country lanes, usually on the brows of hills where the facing car is lower than I am. But any driver will get dazzled in the same circumstance with normal headlamp bulbs or worse with HID lights (proven by getting flashed on the same stretch of roads when I am in cars with normal wattage lighting).

For example, my mates car who runs standard 55/60 bulbs get's flashed ALL the time...because his beam levels are wrong and his shock absorbers are on their way out.

For those who do not like to go to halfords...I recommend try their local LSUK (lucas) shop.

Lucas high wattage, off the shelf bulbs. Which are no worse than the counterparts but without the extortionate pricing (refer to PIAA )

straight out of the catalogue:

H4 bulbs

LLB473 = 100/55 watt
LLB484 = 100/80 watt
LLB486 = 160/100 watt
LLB490 = 130/90 watt

Uprated varients are available for all other types of bulbs too. Some maybe in stock, although some may have to be ordered from the main warehouse.
Old 08 February 2005, 09:46 PM
zxr750Nick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Only if your beam level is not set correctly. The hieght of the the beam is controlled by the reflectors and not the bulbs. And to some extent the cars suspension condition.

I run 90/130's and never get flashed.

The only exception is if I have a load of mates in the back seat ...in which case I knock the beam leveller down to 1 or 2. And on the country lanes, usually on the brows of hills where the facing car is lower than I am. But any driver will get dazzled in the same circumstance with normal headlamp bulbs or worse with HID lights (proven by getting flashed on the same stretch of roads when I am in cars with normal wattage lighting).

For example, my mates car who runs standard 55/60 bulbs get's flashed ALL the time...because his beam levels are wrong and his shock absorbers are on their way out.

For those who do not like to go to halfords...I recommend try their local LSUK (lucas) shop.

Lucas high wattage, off the shelf bulbs. Which are no worse than the counterparts but without the extortionate pricing (refer to PIAA )

straight out of the catalogue:

H4 bulbs

LLB473 = 100/55 watt
LLB484 = 100/80 watt
LLB486 = 160/100 watt
LLB490 = 130/90 watt

Uprated varients are available for all other types of bulbs too. Some maybe in stock, although some may have to be ordered from the main warehouse.

Thanks for the info chaps......