Notices

any ideas????

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2005, 03:58 PM
reed
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any ideas????

Ihad a flat battery on my MY02 impreza so managed to get it started and went to the battery shop, they said it was knackerd so i got a new one.
car started fine, but now i have got the engine warning light on, could this have anything to do with disconnecting the battery????
Old 20 November 2005, 12:34 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by reed
Ihad a flat battery on my MY02 impreza so managed to get it started and went to the battery shop, they said it was knackerd so i got a new one.
car started fine, but now i have got the engine warning light on, could this have anything to do with disconnecting the battery????
Out of interest, does the car only get used at weekends..? Given my own experiences, a 'from the factory' battery only lasting c.3 years is a bit short lived... unless it's prone to being sat around and not used much which does shorten their life somewhat.

As for the Engine Check light, apols but I don't know. Might be worth disconnecting the battery and re-connecting after 15 mins or so. Do you know if the +ve was connected first, followed by the -ve..? This is how it should be done... just in case a short or surge occurred.

Jonts.
Old 20 November 2005, 03:06 PM
reed
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Jonty
Out of interest, does the car only get used at weekends..? Given my own experiences, a 'from the factory' battery only lasting c.3 years is a bit short lived... unless it's prone to being sat around and not used much which does shorten their life somewhat.

As for the Engine Check light, apols but I don't know. Might be worth disconnecting the battery and re-connecting after 15 mins or so. Do you know if the +ve was connected first, followed by the -ve..? This is how it should be done... just in case a short or surge occurred.

Jonts.
I think i connected the -ve first. and mostly used at weekends as have work van. but the flat battery isnt such a big issue its more the ecl being on as wasn't on before this.
Old 20 November 2005, 03:25 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by reed
I think i connected the -ve first. and mostly used at weekends as have work van. but the flat battery isnt such a big issue its more the ecl being on as wasn't on before this.
Gotcha. I'd say disconnect the battery again then and leave for a bit. Then reconnect but with the +ve followed by the -ve. Free fix if it works.

Jonts.