Notices

battery?

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2006, 04:55 PM
shaun.b
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool battery?

i dont use my scoob through the week for going to work so its sat on the drive some times for two weeks so when i got to use it flta battery rang the dealer i got it from and they said oh you must start it every other day if you dont drive it and let it run for 5mins to charge the batt!? things are taking the power while its sat there they said! that i no but surely it should not drain the batt after two weeks?? ive been told they can put i think on the positive on the batt to see whats going out whilst its not running that said has anyone had this prob and found it not to be the battery??just a bit of ammo if it has to go back to dealer, its a 04 wrx buy the way
Old 14 July 2006, 01:35 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Plenty of similar posts over the last 2 or 3 years. Have a search thro the archives.

Some people have ended up blaming the alarm or the immobiliser. Personally my MY04 car starts quite happily after a month or more sat on the drive.

To say you should start it every other day is a joke. That means you can't park it on a Friday evening and not use it until Monday without starting it Sunday morning, what a daft comment.

If I know I've left it more than two weeks and I remember I might start it every other weekend or so but if I forget or am away it's fine.

A common solution is to wire in an optimate top up charger on the battery and give it a trickle every so often.
Old 14 July 2006, 11:20 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=shaun.rang the dealer i got it from and they said oh you must start it every other day if you dont drive it and let it run for 5mins to charge the batt!?[/QU

That's rubbish! My STi would flatten its battery but that was due to the poxy Trackstar not going into sleep mode. Had the unit replaced and it's been fine since.
Get the dealer (or do it yourself) to put an amp meter in the battery circuit to see if there is an above normal drain.
JohnD
Old 14 July 2006, 03:23 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

or fit a kill switch....

will obviously mean that alarm and trackers wont work though
Old 14 July 2006, 06:52 PM
shaun.b
Scooby Regular

Cool dealer

rang the dealer its going 2morrow to be tested but they are sure that nothing is wrong!what they say it is a common problem if they are sat for even a couple of weeks!! subaru are fitted with smart chargers they said and if you start your car in order to put the charge back in you need to put your side lights on because it wont put charge back in unless you are taking power out its to do with m.p.g they told me to ring subaru uk if i did not beleive them they agree its a stupid way of doing it but its the all important m.p.g figures and performance when i say put your side lights on thats what they said for example as long as you are taking power out of the battery it will replace it not like others which as soon as you start them they start charging but on the plus side its still covered on warranty so iff there is anything gone awol it wont cost .ps the lad that told me about the smart charge thingy said when subaru uk told them they all laughed thought is was a whined up but we will see for sure 2morrow after the test thanks for your replies hope info ive put might help or get me a tosser dont listen to main dealers THEY NO NUFFING

Last edited by shaun.b; 16 July 2006 at 10:47 AM.
Old 14 July 2006, 07:08 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

The smart charge system is similar to the ford system, but these systems can cause the battery to deep discharge. Deep discharging of a normal lead acid battery will weaken it.
Ford fit a calcium battery that is better at handling these deep discharges, Subaru do not hence the problems with Subaru’s.
I fitted a Halfords calcium battery, that is actually made by Yuasa. This battery can handle the deep discharging and as such has never let me down.

Hope this helps
Old 14 July 2006, 08:46 PM
WHY
Scooby Regular

Also fitted an Halfords Calcium Battery on MY04 and car starts a lot better now, cost £70 but thats better than the hassle of taking it to the dealers for the monkeys to look at and then trying to palm you of with some stupid excuses.

Mark W
Old 16 July 2006, 10:47 AM
shaun.b
Scooby Regular

had it tested batt is ok no drain off anywhere showed me whilst engine running with nothing switched on no charge going in to the batt turn lights on starts to charge the batt!!?? daft or what?