Notices

Is HD wiring/relay needed for HID..?

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2006, 11:25 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is HD wiring/relay needed for HID..?

Have just taken receipt of my HID kit, courtesy of this GB https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...group-buy.html

The kit comes with an 'optional' relay/fuse harness, but given that that HID kits draw only 35w compared to the OE halogens 55w, surly you don't need to upgrade the wiring..?

J
Old 21 November 2006, 12:24 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

They draw a big spike of current as they first fire up. And it gets worse in cold weather. I wired mine up with a separate harness with a 15A fuse. 2 x 35W is 70W, at 12V this is 5.8A, so a 15A fuse should be fine.

It worked marvellously for a month then started blowing the fuse on first fire. Fitted 20A fuse. OK for the next month or so then started blowing that. Put the fluke in the circuit and saw a horrendous spike as the ballast fires up the arc. Fitted 25A fuse been OK since.

Whether a 25A spike of current for such a short time would damage wiring I'm not sure, you need high current for a fair time to overheat a wiring loom.

Try it and see. The standard fuses should protect the standard wiring, if they don't blow then the wiring should be OK. If they do (and I think they will as the weather gets colder) then you need to start worrying, how far are you prepared to increase the fuse size without worrying about your wiring?
Old 21 November 2006, 12:56 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate,

Am I right in thinking you bought the same kit..? The harness with mine has a 20a fuse in to start with. (If I've interpreted your post correctly yours had a 15a..? or maybe this was a different kit).

I'll give them a try, as you say the std fuse should protect the wiring and if they start blowing then I'll fit the HD harness/relay..

IIRC the std wiring is covered by a 10A fuse for each side, hence my original post. However, these 'spikes' you mention could be a factor..

Thanks,
J..
Old 21 November 2006, 04:35 PM
nickyrhodes
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I fitted a kit to my classic recently, it came with the relay kit as standard. I keep hearing that the scooby's loom is the absolute bare minimum required to run standard 55/60w bulbs. If i were you i would recommend the seperate harness and not take the chance on melting anything. Also it makes it easy to whack the old bulbs back in very quick should you ever need to in the case one of the HID's failed...

Hope this is of some help.
Old 22 November 2006, 08:06 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Mine were atually from the Autolamps-on-line group buy from about 3 years ago.

But I made my own loom up with the relays inside the car and with the triggers direct off the switches. I did it this way because it's neater and because I've had bad experience with aftermarket relays getting wet and then failing when they're installed under the bonnet. And yes 15A to start with, then 20A and now 25A.
Old 22 November 2006, 08:55 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Can't really understand the way the fuses need replacing with higher current ones

I've had HID driving lights for four years or more, and still have the original fuses in, 20A I believe.

The only problem I had was athe relay rusting solid, so all relays are now sealed with epoxy.

Alcazar
Old 23 November 2006, 01:04 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Interesting because it was Scoobysport's 1000FFF HID driving light conversion where I had the problem and they're what you have too I believe.

I rewired the fog light relay as in the Prodrive instructions which meant I was supplying them thro the standard fog light fuse which was 15A I think. That blew when the weather got cold. Replaced with 20A, that was OK for a couple of months then started blowing, I assumed as it got colder. Could have been a coincidence though I guess.

My relays rusted up too and I frst replaced them with Vehicle Wiring Products water resistant relays which were good and seemed to solve the problem. Then I thought sod it, why risk it, and moved all the relays into the inside of the car. Sorted.
Old 23 November 2006, 09:08 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Question

Yep, that's what I have.

I wonder if your problems are down to the OE Scoob's thin wiring?

Alcazar
Old 24 November 2006, 10:07 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Fitted relay harness and TBH it's a much neater (oem like) installation..

Really pleased, they're so good..
Old 26 November 2006, 10:48 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonius

Dude go any install pics? the instructions are not that clear imo lol
Old 27 November 2006, 03:54 PM
nickyrhodes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius

Nice 1, i'm well pleased with mine too. One of the best mods i have made so far, all i need now is to link up the fogs to the full beam to light up the short range...
Old 27 November 2006, 06:05 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nickyrhodes
Nice 1, i'm well pleased with mine too. One of the best mods i have made so far, all i need now is to link up the fogs to the full beam to light up the short range...
Nah.........get a set of HID driving lights. There'll be so much light coming from the front of your car when you switch them on, it'll go backwards with the recoil

Alcazar
Old 28 November 2006, 09:51 AM
nickyrhodes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Nah.........get a set of HID driving lights. There'll be so much light coming from the front of your car when you switch them on, it'll go backwards with the recoil

Alcazar
Lol!! WIll be burning out retinas from miles away lol