JDM HID Bug eye Xenons

Search this Thread

Old 22 December 2006, 03:43 PM
SimmoSub
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM HID Bug eye Xenons

Hi

I would like to fit these JDM Xenons - technicallly it seems do-able but will it pass an MoT with Jap HID lights? Does Mr plod take an interest?

Anyone got any experience of this before I take the plunge?

Thanks!
Old 22 December 2006, 04:05 PM
jim litten
Scooby Regular

Or you could get a HID kit to fit your lights that you've got now, see the thread in the GB section.
Old 22 December 2006, 06:30 PM
DCR59
Scooby Regular

Never had any problems with the HID's on my JDM model. But they are a huge improvement over the UK lights.

They won't pass the SVA test when imported, mine were swapped over for the test then swapped back. But no problems with the MOT.

I have been told that all HID fitted cars should also be fitted with headlamp washers. Not 100% sure about that.
Old 22 December 2006, 08:02 PM
SimmoSub
Scooby Newbie

Thanks guys

I should have said the lights I want to fir are from an STi so look much better than the WRX standard bug eye light I have at the moment (i.e. projector beams, smoked lense etc) so the HID kit doesn't quite do the job...

DCR - when you say swapped did you just change the bulbs or was it a complete headlight unit change for the SVA?

The web info I got seems to suggest the headlamp washer requirement (and self levelling headlights) is a UK law requirement for HDIs on new cars only. Retrofitting HDIs is a legal grey area - which is why they are usually sold for "off road" use.

Life's never simple is it?!
Old 23 December 2006, 06:02 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

They're a big improvement on the std lights - I had a set on my bugeye (still got them in a box somewhere along with the levelling harness I made...)

The beam cutoff is so sharp, you can align them very accurately - I used to have them set to normal driving dipped position on number "1" of the levelling switch. This meant that my position "0" was slightly up and great for country lanes withot being blinding to others

Once you get used to the colour temperature of the light, they're great for picking out reflective surfaces (roadsigns, Hi-Vis jackets etc) and for roads without streetlights but they can be a bit harder to see things in fog / rain as the light is more white but your brain thinks it's bluer as your used to seeing to standard halogens.

The off-road use is due to you not having self-levelling and washers as standard - HIDs can dazzle easier from the muck on the lens spreading the light beam (think of some of these tw@ts in BMs with high intensity point source lights). One benefit of HIDs is that as they run cooler, there's less chance of baking on muck as you drive - if you've been in a car with seperate dip & beam parts of the lens - see how much more crud is caked to the dipped lens that's been switched on compared to the other "cold" lens.

Andy