Notices

Aftermarket HID (Xenon) kits illegal?

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2007, 10:35 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Aftermarket HID (Xenon) kits illegal?

Well so say Auto Express and the DFT, (isn't that pronounced "daft"?)

Xenon test | Video Features | Videos | Auto Express

I was particularly interested in the presenter's, and MoT tester's assertion that the HID beam wasn't focussed. It looked the same as the Halogen beam just brighter.
I wonder what that beam tester makes of standard Scoob classic lights?

Have a look at the video and see what you think.

Alcazar
Old 25 January 2007, 10:44 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought they'd be illegal anyway because you have to have auto lamp washers and auto self levelling for HID?

His first comment didn't make it very clear either - he said you replaced standard bulbs with HID - but you also need a ballast system because of the voltage needed to initially light the HID bulb.

That said, I still get flashed in my RX8 with HID and they are perfectly set (had them checked a few months back).
Old 25 January 2007, 10:57 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris L
I thought they'd be illegal anyway because you have to have auto lamp washers and auto self levelling for HID?
AFAIK, this is for OE equipped cars, ie: new build.

It looks to me like AE trying tyo make something out of nothing. IF it WAS illegal, why would the manufacturers be allowed to sell them?

OK 100W bulbs.........

But I can't see how HID is illegal UNLESS it fails the beam test?

Alcazar
Old 25 January 2007, 11:13 AM
Andygreer
Scooby Regular

legaly u need washers..... But 99% of police and MOters wont check this IMO
Old 25 January 2007, 12:25 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Though love the HIDs on my "other" car (and they're proper factory projectors), I'm coming to the conclusion that the entire HID thing is being done wrongly anyway.

My main problem with them is the sharp cutoff. There's no light gradient to speak of and very little splash outside of the defined areas. You're either not blinded at all or completely dazzled. Active systems which sweep the lights around corners etc. will only make this situation worse for other motorists.

I think HIDs should be fitted with a diffuser to blend the cutoff more gradually.

All of the above is IMO about factory HIDs. Aftermarket is a minefield and MOT testers don't police it because the specifications of the test regarding splash are vague, wishy-washy and not subject to specific measurements.

<dons flak jacket, on top of nomex suit, pats fire extinguisher nervously>

<Awaits flaming...>

J.
Old 25 January 2007, 12:30 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris L
You do, for any car too, not just new ones.
Old 25 January 2007, 01:11 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
AFAIK, this is for OE equipped cars, ie: new build.

It looks to me like AE trying tyo make something out of nothing. IF it WAS illegal, why would the manufacturers be allowed to sell them?

OK 100W bulbs.........

But I can't see how HID is illegal UNLESS it fails the beam test?

Alcazar
probably its not illegal to sell but illegal to use
Old 25 January 2007, 01:15 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vindaloo
My main problem with them is the sharp cutoff. There's no light gradient to speak of and very little splash outside of the defined areas. You're either not blinded at all or completely dazzled.
This is true. 'Old' halogen lights are good because they produce bright areas on the front of the car so you can be seen more easily in dark / misty conditions. Some of the HID lights are almost invisible outside of the main beam. Good if you don't want to dazzle oncoming cars, but not so effective at getting you seen....

Are these conversion kits 'CE' marked?
Old 25 January 2007, 04:13 PM
nickyrhodes
Scooby Regular

IMO the police should be concentrating on un-insured drivers, however this is an opportunity to make some more money isnt it....

I've been dazzled much more by idiots that drive around on full beam and also people that dont use the leveller when they have 18 people on the back seat and 2 tons of soil in the boot....

I dont get flashed at all with mine on, make sure i spray them plenty to avoid muck refracting the light...
Old 25 January 2007, 06:29 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

i have had mine adjusted correctly they are much brighter than standard but do not blind oncoming traffic because beam pattern is virtually the same
i think spotty 17 year old boy racers driving with front fogs on is more of a problem than hid bulbs
Old 26 January 2007, 10:36 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johnnyroper
i have had mine adjusted correctly they are much brighter than standard but do not blind oncoming traffic because beam pattern is virtually the same
i think spotty 17 year old boy racers driving with front fogs on is more of a problem than hid bulbs
HIDs don't cost much any more. Spotty 17 years old driving around with cheap, badly installed HID conversions (coz it's kewl innit) is what I'm worried about.
Old 26 January 2007, 11:11 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

IIRC, we had EXACTLY the same fuss when halogen lights came along. Until then, we had all been driving around with 48/40W sealed beams, with no assymetric cutoff.

When halogens arrived the papers/mags were full of letters from old men complaining of being dazzled, and deriding anyone who fitted the new lights to their cars

Alcazar
Old 27 January 2007, 04:49 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

> You do, for any car too, not just new ones.

Can you tell us under what set of regs that is GC8. My first MOT is May so I'd like to know if I need to convert back to conventional for the MOT or not.

As far as I've been able to read the "construction and use regs" require headlamp washing and self levelling if you have HID's, but that's new cars only. The MOT test doesn't mention HID or conventional, just check the alignment.

So where does it say you need headlamp washing and self levelling for non-new cars fitted with aftermarket HID's?
Old 28 January 2007, 07:55 AM
Slap Head
Scooby Regular

I had an aftermarket kit fitted to the Orciari twin headlamp conversion, that was on my old 2001 WRX, it passed an MOT and i still got flashed by oncomming drivers! I now have a 2006 STi with the factory fitted HID's, washers and self levellers, and still get flashed , so it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference if the HID's are factory fitted or aftermarket, but i wouldn't be without them

Tim

Last edited by Slap Head; 28 January 2007 at 08:01 AM.
Old 30 January 2007, 11:09 AM
LongTimeLurker
Scooby Regular

Had my beams checked at an MOT station last night, they were perfect (i kid you not). Went to make sure they were aligned more than anything else, and they didn't even need that after my diy efforts. Looking in the light beam box thing both sides were spot on the blue line @ 1.2% (think it was that), the kick line on both beams were perfect as well. MOT guy asked why i bothered to check as they were both so good (mot pass no problems), and a defined cut off with minimal if any beam leakage. Aroused the interest of several ppl there inc all 3 of the mechanics who had a good look at them.
Old 30 January 2007, 12:01 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LongTimeLurker
Had my beams checked at an MOT station last night, they were perfect (i kid you not). Went to make sure they were aligned more than anything else, and they didn't even need that after my diy efforts. Looking in the light beam box thing both sides were spot on the blue line @ 1.2% (think it was that), the kick line on both beams were perfect as well. MOT guy asked why i bothered to check as they were both so good (mot pass no problems), and a defined cut off with minimal if any beam leakage. Aroused the interest of several ppl there inc all 3 of the mechanics who had a good look at them.
Excellent, what car have you got?
Old 30 January 2007, 12:07 PM
LongTimeLurker
Scooby Regular

Classic m8: