Notices
View Poll Results: Shall i install the HID kit?
Yes, you have it, why waste money on normal bulbs...
100.00%
No, it'll look like a chav-mobile...
0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Decisions, decisions...

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2007, 07:31 PM
Spyd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decisions, decisions...

Right, a few weeks ago i bought a HID conversion kit for my Corsa C, it came from abroad and took just under 2 weeks to arrive. By the time i received them i decided to sell the Corsa and now i have an Impreza.

The reason i bought them for the Corsa was that i had morettes - which have projector dipped beams - this being ideal for HID.

I have the kit sitting here and my Scooby is currently running with standard bulbs. Being in Wales and just outside the city, vision is important to me as i drive through quite a few lanes.

Anyway, my Scooby doesn't have projector headlights, therefore the HID kit will disperse the light everywhere, unlike the projector lights.

Do you think i should just use the HID kit as i already have it, or just buy myself some normal upgraded bulbs?
Old 01 February 2007, 08:36 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

I've got HID conversions in an 04 STi with the "morette" conversion. On this application the morettes don't have projector type lenses and in my case the HID works really well. I guess it depends on how good a job the HID convertors have made with the base of the bulb to place the arc at the correct location within the reflector.

Another thing in my favour is that the STi ones use a pair of H7 bulbs, one for dip in the outers and one for main in the inners. I guess that's easier to duplicate properly in HID than trying to do both with an H4 where there's always problems with locating the arc accurately in both positions, ie one for dip and one for main. What bulbs are yours?

I'd say give it a go and see how well it works, simple enough to take back off and flog if it's rubbish. Downside is it'll be second hand then I guess. Could you fit the bulbs, put the ballasts in temporarily and bodge in some wiring to just try it before deciding?
Old 02 February 2007, 09:18 AM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

i have got a my03 blobeye and have fitted a set of h1 hid bulbs and they are a vast improvement on the standard
i have got completely standard headlamp assemblies and the beam pattern once adjusted is no different to normal other than brighter
what colour temp hid's have you got mine are 6000k and are bright without being over blue?
if they will fit your scoob ok and they are not over 6000k colour temp i would fit em as you have em already
Old 02 February 2007, 10:52 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I'd fit them, so long as the bulb TYPE from the Corsa is the same as the bulb TYPE from the Scoob.

Alcazar
Old 02 February 2007, 04:38 PM
Spyd
Scooby Regular

I decided to sell them (make a profit selling them so i've gained!) due to being told that they're illegal on non-projector style headlamps.