Notices

What type lights are in the Prodrive PIAA Driving Light Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2007, 01:47 PM
Francis K
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What type lights are in the Prodrive PIAA Driving Light Kit?

Anybody know what type of PIAA ight is in the Prodrive/Subaru kit? Are they Type 40s?

I have HIDs in the dip beam of my MY03 WRX but am looking for a better main beam but another set of HIDs is rather expensive (and it's difficult to find room for the ballasts).

If I can get some PIAAs of the right type I should be able to knock up some brackets.

Hope someone can help.

Francis Kay
Old 16 February 2007, 07:55 PM
NickyW
Scooby Regular

I take you mean the 130mm dia type to fit the MY03 blobeye?

Fitted them to my MY03 WRX wagon a few months ago, they are the PIAA 600 smr series lamp with a bracket by Prodrive to mount in the fog light hole.
To be honest unless you uprate the bulbs and use a seperate harness for them (as I have done) their a waste of time (55w bulbs come as standard fit).

You can get HID version from PIAA (£800+) if you don't mind making your own brackets, very pricey though

I'm thinking of trying some H3 HID bulbs in them if I can find room for the ballasts.

Hope that helps.
Old 17 February 2007, 05:01 PM
Francis K
Scooby Regular

NickyW

Thanks for the info. I have some 100W HB3 bulbs for main beam but I think they might melt the plastic reflectors and in any case the beam pattern is c**p. It doesn't look like there is a sensibly priced option.

Do you have a diagram of the Prodrive bracket?

Francis K

Last edited by Francis K; 17 February 2007 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 19 February 2007, 08:57 PM
NickyW
Scooby Regular

Sorry no diagram but the bracket is basically a square piece of steel plate with holes in three of the corners to line up with the fog light mounting holes on the car.
The centre of the steel plate has been cut out to mount the driving lamps in, these are held onto the plate via four self tapers into the body of the lamp.
Thinking about it you'd have to check the PIAA 600 lamps to check they will take the self tapers as this could be a mounting for the Prodrive version only.

If your really keen to make up the brackets I can take a lamp out a get some pic's of the bracket and email them to you.
Old 20 February 2007, 08:49 PM
Francis K
Scooby Regular

Smile

Nicky,

Thanks for the offer, I haven't made my mind up yet - I might save the hassle and get the Prodrive ones with the 10% SIDC discount.

How easy is it fit them - is it just the lamp surrounds that have to come off?

How are they adjusted?

Sorry about all the questions.

Thanks

Francis
Old 22 February 2007, 08:47 PM
NickyW
Scooby Regular

Dead easy to fit once you've pop'd out the plastic lamp surround (use a flat bladed screwdriver coverd in duck tape and carefully prise it out).
Unscrew the three mounting screws on each fog light and pull out the wiring terminal (there's a back plate to the mounting bracket that the terminal's attached too which can be pulled out to make it easier).
It's just a matter then of assembling the new lamps & brackets together and screwing them back in. Under two of the mounting bolts are springs & washers that are used for adjustment.
As I mentioned earlier I used my own seperate wiring loom so I can use uprated bulbs. The kit assumes that you use the existing fog light wiring which is OK for the standard 55w bulbs and to be honest using my old loom I had for the driving lights on my old classic was a lot easier than following the wiring instructions to wire the new lamps into the dipping circuit on the blobeye. If you search on here you'll no doubt find a wiring diagram for driving lights.

Nick.
Old 25 February 2007, 05:56 PM
Francis K
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks m8 I reckon I'll give them a go.

Francis
Old 26 February 2007, 07:54 PM
abc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NickyW
As I mentioned earlier I used my own seperate wiring loom so I can use uprated bulbs. The kit assumes that you use the existing fog light wiring which is OK for the standard 55w bulbs and to be honest using my old loom I had for the driving lights on my old classic was a lot easier than following the wiring instructions to wire the new lamps into the dipping circuit on the blobeye. If you search on here you'll no doubt find a wiring diagram for driving lights.

Nick.
Not sure I've understood you correctly, Nick, but I thought that the law required that driving lights be wired in to the dipping circuit so that (unlike fog lamps) they can only come on when your lights are on full beam?

Sorry if I've misunderstood you.

A
Old 26 February 2007, 08:07 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

The driving light conversion for the MY02 cars uses the same wiring loom as the fog lights. But also includes some minor rewiring under the dash so that they're triggered with main beam rather than when you're on dip or side and push the switch. I assume these are similar.
Old 28 February 2007, 06:33 PM
NickyW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by abc
Not sure I've understood you correctly, Nick, but I thought that the law required that driving lights be wired in to the dipping circuit so that (unlike fog lamps) they can only come on when your lights are on full beam?

Sorry if I've misunderstood you.

A
Your quite right with the law requirements abc, and my wiring loom allows for this.
The point I was trying to make was that the wiring instruction that Prodrive supply are'nt the easy'st to follow and as chelspeed says involves some re-wiring under the dash. I used a couple of relays and picked up the dipping feed from the main beam headlight, so I now have dipping driving lights as well as an indipendant switch for them via the old fog lamp switch.