Notices

Remove my HID's and get PIAA's

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2007, 10:45 AM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove my HID's and get PIAA's

Last year I brought like most of us on here the HID's that alex_00 was running in the GB on here. Every since I fitted them I have had problems. Now sorted thanks to Scoobyclinic.

Its just that they give off glare and strange beam pattern. The only way to do this properly is to do what the yanks do and retro fit some Merc Hids for example. This I don't want to do.
The side that I have problems with, Near side, the bulb can easily come out of its holder...the little block that grip/lock in the holder have worn away. Sending them off to be replaced (which I think I can still do under the warrenty?) is a hastle to be honest.

So I was thinking about removing the whole kit - bumper off etc - and replacing stock bulbs and fitting the PIAA driving lamps like that on the RB5's

Give me your thooughts please.
Old 28 June 2007, 12:21 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Is this on a classic? If so, why do you want/need to take the bumper off?

TBH, if you have HIDs in classic lights, either the original or crystal, you're asking for trouble with glare. The stock lights were absolute CRAP, scattering light all over. If you increase the light output, you just get more light......all over.

Have you thought of a set of Morettes with your HID's in the larger(main/dip) units? FAR better beam pattern.

If you ARE sold on removing the HIDs, then yes, driving lights would be a "must" for me.

You would have a choice of PIAA, (pretty good, not heard many probs except reflectors corroding), Hella, (difficult to set up and to stop vibrating), or Cibie, (don't take kindly to uprated bulbs).

Then there's the type fitted to the P1, which would require you to source a foglight cover with a 90 mm hole in it, (Scoob dealer, off here etc) some lamp supports, (Scoob dealer, cheap), and a pair of Hella 90mm driving lamps, which are available in halogen or, wait for it, HID

If you're handy, or know someone who is, I could send you plans for how to make your own brackets to hold the AWESOME Hella 1000FF HIDs. These are what I have, and are truly night into day

Alcazar
Old 28 June 2007, 01:16 PM
stevebennett
Scooby Regular

I have just installed a set of HIDs on my newage and the scatter was not to bad to be honest. I had a fwe problems with the alignment to start with but it was all sorted after spending 20 minutes infront of a brickwall making sure that the headlamp was set up correctly.

I do not see how i lived with the normal Halgen bulbs now as the light so crisp.
Old 28 June 2007, 02:13 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebennett
I have just installed a set of HIDs on my newage and the scatter was not to bad to be honest. I had a fwe problems with the alignment to start with but it was all sorted after spending 20 minutes infront of a brickwall making sure that the headlamp was set up correctly.

I do not see how i lived with the normal Halgen bulbs now as the light so crisp.
Of course, this is how it SHOULD be if the lights you are fitting HIDs to are designed properly

Unfortunately, in classics, this was definitely NOT the case

Anyone having too many scatter probs with HID in a newage car ought to suspect the HID kit.

Alcazar
Old 28 June 2007, 02:56 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Alcazar, Yes it is a classic Impreza with the crystal headlight units (as standard on mine). I would have to take the bumber off to get to the ballasts.

This is how I have set mine up..not my car btw.
http://andi.users.digital-crocus.com...r/DSCF0375.jpg

I don't like morretts on scoobs or anyother car tbh.

How to the PIAA lamps work in regards to the fog light button. As I have heard that they wire into the main headlight main beam (not dipped).

I have seen the P1 fogs that you are talking about and they look a little wired and I like having big fogs...all part of the scooby experience.
Old 28 June 2007, 03:49 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SC008Y_MAD
How to the PIAA lamps work in regards to the fog light button. As I have heard that they wire into the main headlight main beam (not dipped).
the piaas have a seperate button located next to the rear fog lamp button (classic) and when this button is switched on they come on with main beam (i.e. they go off when the lights are dipped)
Old 28 June 2007, 04:15 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Right, so they are used in conjunction with main beam. So you can't use them as fogs then?
Old 07 July 2007, 08:46 AM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Right, so they are used in conjunction with main beam. So you can't use them as fogs then?
Then they'd be foglights and not driving lights
Old 07 July 2007, 10:44 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

No, it would blind other drivers, and the reflected light from the fog would blind YOU: like using main beams in fog. You can't drive around looking like a chav either, or EVERYONE will flash you and you'll defo get a pull from plod

They can be wired in two ways: Either to come on when main beam is selected and go out when dip is selected, or, as above, except with an extra switch in the circuit so that they don't ALWAYS come on when main beam is selected. Useful if you do a lot of town driving, you don't want to be flashing people with PIAA's, do you?

Alcazar
Old 12 July 2007, 07:10 AM
darms
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recon you're the 1st to start thinking about light patterns and spray of the HID's. From what i 've read, our US conter parts have been there done that a few years ago. HID PLANET has some great info on this and hid retrofitting.

I've been in contact with retro fitters across the pond who are more than willing to help, i'm just having a nightmare in finding bmw e46 bi-xenon projectors in the uk. (US ones slope to the wrong side, we need Euro spec)

anyone help?

Watch out for a "How to" once i'm done
Old 12 July 2007, 09:40 AM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Have you tried HIDS4U Ltd, Leeds, UK for all HID and Xenon lighting kits and conversions
Old 12 July 2007, 07:27 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Looks tempting.