Notices

Hid fitting ??

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2007, 09:25 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hid fitting ??

Hi further to my reply within the group buy thread ( latest group buy - lifetime warranty ) for the HID light kit just wonder if anyone can explain exactly what plugs into what when it comes to actually installing them ?? have had a quick read off the suppliedmanual but to be honest it not very helpful is it !!!

I appreciatte that each ballast is to be sited either side off each headlight but slightly unsure as to what plugs in to what for the main lighting harness ?? are the plugs /connectors supplied already fitted to the cables a standard fitting that most cars will plug straight into ??

have not had a chance to even atempt to fit the kit yet as I say just had a quick read off the supplied hand book but as I say it very badly translatted and not off much use !!

appreciatte there is not a lot to fitting this kit but would just like to collect as much info as possible so its a bit easier when it comes to actual fitting.

cheers guys
Old 01 November 2007, 09:03 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

IF it's a decent kit, and IF it's been designed for your car, the most difficult part is siting and fitting the ballasts. Mine are zip-tied to the struts either side of the radiator, with no ill effects after 5 years.

After that, it SHOULD be a case of removing the old headlight connectors from the rear of the lights, taping up one side to stop water/dirt ingress, and plugging the other side onto the supplied male connector on the loom. Don't worry, it should only be able to fit one way.

You MAY then need to connect a +ve wire to the battery, via a fuse, and another, -ve wire to battery -ve or earth.

If the kits are owt like the ones I've seen, that's it.

Alcazar
Old 01 November 2007, 07:48 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Great stuff thanks for that all sounds simple enough !!
Old 02 November 2007, 09:35 PM
AndyLyman
Scooby Regular

I have that same kit mate....

40 mins to fit tops!

A few photos here https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...installed.html

all you need to connect is 2 wires from + and - of the original car wiring to the hids per side...

Andy
Old 02 November 2007, 09:55 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyLyman

40 mins to fit tops!

all you need to connect is 2 wires from + and - of the original car wiring to the hids per side...

Andy

Okay excellent wil certainly have a good look thru your thread thats great, to be honest I think the main thing I was concerned about was to the fact if the cables / connectors used within the kit are a common fitment to most cars ie my original wiring will just plug straight in ??

anyway thanks again, appreciatte that.
Old 08 November 2007, 04:05 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by AndyLyman

40 mins to fit tops!

Andy
Don't they have relays/fuses and connect directly to the battery?
Old 08 November 2007, 07:59 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

There is no relay loom suplied with this particular kit, according to the supplier its only required on the dual beam type kits.
Old 08 November 2007, 08:49 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

They are sometimes a £20-£30 option on the cheaper kits.

By connecting direct to the battery you will provide more stable power going to the ballasts without placing a strain on the cars original wiring. They do consume less power, but require LOTS of volts to get them started, which the standard wiring system is not designed to do.

All ours (single and bi-bulb) come with the relays, fuses and connect directly to the battery.

Bob
Old 08 November 2007, 09:13 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay cheers for the info, to be honest I would have prefered to have the harness but again from speaking to the seller off these particular kits this relay, fuse etc kit was not actually required on the single beam kits but were on the dual beam kits and were included in with these particular kits.

a quick search on ebay revealled this :

Find HID Fuse Relay Wiring Harness Lighting Headlight Lamp on eBay within, Lights Lighting Accessories, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 17-Nov-07 19:22:06 GMT)

this exactly what I am looking for ??
Old 08 November 2007, 09:18 PM
Jam Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BOB'5

By connecting direct to the battery you will provide more stable power going to the ballasts without placing a strain on the cars original wiring. They do consume less power, but require LOTS of volts to get them started, which the standard wiring system is not designed to do.

All ours (single and bi-bulb) come with the relays, fuses and connect directly to the battery.

Bob

"Yours" as in the ones that were sold in Alex's GB and the ones that XLS provided and sell for about a tenner less than you on E-bay?

As you have said in the past so many times, the kits are exactly the same as from Alex's last GB?....

Can you give an exact figure of "LOTS" of volts, and do you have proof by measuring the differences with a volt meter?? How does a relay harness aid the stabilising of the voltages and power?....

Please elaborate, the relay harness on the single kits is a ploy to charge extra when they do not cost any extra at all!!! The bi-xenon kits have them, as they are require to power the control unit seperately!.....

The kit is just easier to fit without it, as it is not necessary on the single beam kits.

Bob'5 stop trying so hard, you don't need to take an opportunity to say something about another kit every chance you get. Maybe now you are an "AA" you should try acting like one, and stop chatting garbage to sell more of your products! As I said to you in the PM, your ruining the whole idea and concept of a GB, a group "benefit" is the whole reason for it. Not to make yourself enough money to become a Trader!
Old 08 November 2007, 09:38 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by K18LLR
"Yours" as in the ones that were sold in Alex's GB and the ones that XLS provided and sell for about a tenner less than you on E-bay?
They are not XLS kits, but I've already told you that. Besides, they send them from outside the country and cannot gaurentee no customs charges (some people had £30 customs bills via XLS).

Can you give an exact figure of "LOTS" of volts, and do you have proof by measuring the differences with a volt meter?? How does a relay harness aid the stabilising of the voltages and power?....

Please elaborate, the relay harness on the single kits is a ploy to charge extra when they do not cost any extra at all!!! The bi-xenon kits have them, as they are require to power the control unit seperately!.....
Around 25,000 volts for start up.

The relays, fuses and wiring loom aren't made for free.

Bob'5 stop trying so hard, you don't need to take an opportunity to say something about another kit every chance you get. Maybe now you are an "AA" you should try acting like one, and stop chatting garbage to sell more of your products! As I said to you in the PM, your ruining the whole idea and concept of a GB, a group "benefit" is the whole reason for it. Not to make yourself enough money to become a Trader!
The group benefited by getting it for a great price and cheaper than any other retailer would be prepared to supply it for.

It's funny because you're almost acting as if you're a trader

If a kit comes with the extra wiring loom, then you have the option of using it and I'd guess that most would choose to fit it.

Not interested in HID wars. Just discussing a technical aspect of different kits
Old 08 November 2007, 10:34 PM
Jam Performance
Former Sponsor

They are not XLS kits, but I've already told you that. Besides, they send them from outside the country and cannot gaurentee no customs charges (some people had £30 customs bills via XLS).

Around 25,000 volts for start up.

The relays, fuses and wiring loom aren't made for free.

The group benefited by getting it for a great price and cheaper than any other retailer would be prepared to supply it for.

It's funny because you're almost acting as if you're a trader

If a kit comes with the extra wiring loom, then you have the option of using it and I'd guess that most would choose to fit it.

Not interested in HID wars. Just discussing a technical aspect of different kits
Wow 25000 volts are you sure about that Bob?.....

It would be good if you had some proof of the technical aspects of each different design and method. I'm sure you have put lots of time in the R&d of your kits.

"HID" wars sounds like some sort of star wars episode....

This is one of the reasons I wouldn't become a trader, especially selling HID kits
Toooo much competition, there' probably around 100 different kits on the market!

As said to you before don't make assumptions about something without any backing.

I started the other GB and It's unfair if you make members who contributed to it (including myself) feel like they have purchased the wrong kit, it won't help us in the future with any GB's.
Old 09 November 2007, 10:18 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Wow 25000 volts are you sure about that Bob?.....
That's certainly what comes out of the ballast going to the lamp, (which is, of course, not a bulb as we know it, but a discharge arc).

25-30,000V is quoted by Hella.

Alcazar
Old 09 November 2007, 06:37 PM
AndyLyman
Scooby Regular

Well I for 1 am delighted with my kit from Vision Performance....

Quality is exellent and service is 1st class... next day delivery!

It's nice to know that the company you deal with is only down the road, offers telephone support and has any accessories in stock if you need them.. next day

https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...installed.html

cheers

Andy

Last edited by AndyLyman; 11 November 2007 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10 November 2007, 12:39 PM
Vision Performance
Scooby Newbie

Bob
Hi All,
My name is Sultan and I am the co-owner of Vision Performance. My apologies to K18LLR for not posting on here before to clarify some 'issues' but I am not in the 'tit for tat' business.

It is not my intention to put certain people down but I am not the type of person who will remain quiet if someone is having a dig (albeit indirectly) at either me, my company or the products we sell.

In regards to the quality of product we supply, we take great care and pride ourselves on quality and aftercare service. Our ebay feedback would confirm this so don't just take my word for it. http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayIS...me=STRK:ME:UFS

We work very closely with our manufacturers to constantly improve quality and they have a rigorous testing regime for their Grade A products (we only supply the Grade A equipment). We are currently working with them to improve the Instruction Booklets as they are not up to standard and can be quite confusing

Our electrical ballasts for the single beam kits do not need a relay harness to allow the lights to work fully and uniformly, thats the job of the ballasts. In my car I have a 12V Battery that provides power to the places I need it. The ballasts we supply work on a norm of 12V so how does this place a strain on the cars wiring?? The job of the ballast is to change the frequency of the power......so from 12V to how many ever thousands of V required to start the bulb. Any strain created here is on the wiring between the ballast and the bulb, not the ballast and the cars wiring.

There seems to be lots of mention of 'cheaper kits'. To be quite honest, most of the HID's on the market are manufactured by a few companies in China and get re badged/re branded and sold at different rates. The differentiation between cheaper kits and not so cheap kits is the failure rates, not just what equipment is or is not provided with them and the elements that they use within the kits.

Why do we offer a lifetime warranty??? Because we have been working with our manufacturers and are so confident in the quality of product that we feel we can offer it. NOT because our kits are SO CHEAP that we can replace them ***** nilly. If anyone has a problem with any of the kits we have supplied, they only need to contact us for support/replacement parts and we will provide it as we hold good levels of stock and pride ourselves on customer care.

BOB'5....I do not know you, have never met you and I wish you the best with your new venture. I have read through all the posts in relation to the HID GB's and would offer you some advice, take it or leave it, it's up to you.
Please don't put other people and their products down to make you/your products appear superior when you do not know the products or people you are commenting on.

If any one has any questions or issues in relation to the products we sell, I can be contacted on 087 123 00 456 Mon-Fri 9.30am-5.30pm Saturdays are dependent on if we have any rolling road days.

I hope this clarifies and answers questions in relation to the HID's we sell.

Regards
Sultan

Last edited by Vision Performance; 10 November 2007 at 12:48 PM. Reason: missed link
Old 10 November 2007, 01:40 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vision Performance
Our electrical ballasts for the single beam kits do not need a relay harness to allow the lights to work fully and uniformly, thats the job of the ballasts.[
No, the job of the ballasts is to change the voltage of the elctricity supplied to them to that needed to "start" the HID lamp.
In my car I have a 12V Battery that provides power to the places I need it. The ballasts we supply work on a norm of 12V so how does this place a strain on the cars wiring??
You obviously misunderstand the job of a relay. Relays are used to switch a heavy current using a small current. They do this so that, a) switches don't need to be so chunky, and b) so that wiring used can be thinner. The wiring from battery to relay and relay to lights/ (or ballasts, in the case of HID), can then be made thicker to carry any higher current.

The job of the ballast is to change the frequency of the power......so from 12V to how many ever thousands of V required to start the bulb. Any strain created here is on the wiring between the ballast and the bulb, not the ballast and the cars wiring.
Absolutely not. The ballasts alter the VOLTAGE which is fed to the HID lamp. They have NO EFFECT whatsoever on the POWER. You can't alter the frequency of power any way. Please don't mix units or use expressions you don't fully understand. It won't enlighten anyone, and may serve to further confuse others.

Alcazar
Old 19 November 2007, 05:45 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay guys today was the day off the planned HID kit fitting, as per usual with any planned outside jobs the weather was .. wet !! so it was into the garage and an hour later everything was working perfect, could not belive the difference off thse bulbs even in daylight, street signs were lighting up when approaching them from even some distance away !!

really looking forward to having a quick country drive tonight and testing them out for real !!

one thing I did notice that the bulbs although 8k rated / marked had more off an intense white light with a good hint off blue to it as opposed to the intense blue colour that is often referred to with this particular bulb, not sure if I have received the wrong bulb or not but it deffinatly had 8k written on the plastic protection covers.

anyone else here use the 8k bulb give me a deffinate anser to what colour output this particular bulb should give out ?? very strong intesne white with a strongish blue hint or intense blue ??

still to find someone who can explain to me exactly why these aftermarket HID kits seem to give off a different colour output to the oe hid kits fitted to the latest puntos etc ?? for instance the latest punto gives off an almost purple looking light when viewed from certain angles / distances and yet these kits seem to give off the same light output / colour regadless off viewing angle ?? the manufactures use 4300k HID lights so where does this purple colour come into these particular cars headlights output colours ??

car I fitted mine to today does have projector headlamps so no probs there either.
Old 29 November 2007, 09:35 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Quote -

still to find someone who can explain to me exactly why these aftermarket HID kits seem to give off a different colour output to the oe hid kits fitted to the latest puntos etc ?? for instance the latest punto gives off an almost purple looking light when viewed from certain angles / distances and yet these kits seem to give off the same light output / colour regadless off viewing angle ?? the manufactures use 4300k HID lights so where does this purple colour come into these particular cars headlights output colours ??

most oe hid lighting fitted to cars give off an almost shimmering light output but for some reason aftermarket HID kits give off the same colour output no matter what distance / ange you are standing infront off the lights, why should this be ??!!

car I fitted mine to today does have projector headlamps so no probs there either.[/QUOTE]

Anyone advise re. the above ?? !!
Old 05 December 2007, 08:34 PM
Greg-lagger
Scooby Newbie

buy the kit from HID4U simple,not cheap but a lot better product screened ballasts no voltage spikes to give ecu the wobblies,not uncommon on cheap tacky imported electrical products.You get what you pay for x
Old 06 December 2007, 10:48 AM
Speech
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Greg-lagger
buy the kit from HID4U simple,not cheap but a lot better product screened ballasts no voltage spikes to give ecu the wobblies,not uncommon on cheap tacky imported electrical products.You get what you pay for x
I bought these (with a discount from SIDC) and was a piece of cake to fit, no additional wiring needed to the battery, all in all about 2 hours including de-tangoing headlights, numerous coffee's and watching bits of the rugby that was on!!