Morrette Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2007, 03:15 PM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Morrette Bulbs

Hi All,

What bulbs are you using? I need some good bright (Dip mainly) bulbs but the same wattage for the wiring
Thanks.
Old 13 December 2007, 03:55 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Best at the moment (according to Auto Express), are Philips 80% uprated. Same wattage but 80% brighter.

Or try Halfords Super Brilliance in the gold coloured boxes, on BOGOF.

Alcazar
Old 13 December 2007, 04:15 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Halfords SB ones are a bit better than OE bulbs, but if you want ultimate brightness fit some HIDs

https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...-groupbuy.html
Old 13 December 2007, 07:09 PM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

would they fit into the Morettes? the H4 bi's
Old 13 December 2007, 07:41 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Power Junkie
would they fit into the Morettes? the H4 bi's
Yes, but there are issues. Do a search.

Alcazar
Old 14 December 2007, 02:25 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Not sure what those issues are?
Old 14 December 2007, 12:14 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB'5
Not sure what those issues are?
So do a search? You could even widen it to Google, if you want: our North American cousins have had much to say about HID conversions, recently, ESPECIALLY H4

Alcazar
Old 14 December 2007, 12:25 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

There are so many different kits out there...

All I can say is that our H4 kits are a excellent upgrade. I have fitted a few of them now and people have always been impressed with the improvement.

I fitted some H4s to a customers car just last weekend. He went out for a drive and came back with a big grin, saying they were the best money he has spent on the car - so much better than the uprated bulbs he had on before, and as a result could drive alot faster at night now.

There will always be poor quality kits out there and people who fit them incorrectly, so I can't comment for those, but I have our H4s on my own car and I wouldn't ever go back to normal bulbs.
Old 14 December 2007, 03:30 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I'm sure you're right about your kits, but you haven't addressed EITHER of the issues.

1. Scoob OE lights, esp those requiring H4 bulbs, are CRAP, and scatter light every which way. Putting uprated bulbs or HIDs in them just results in MORE light scattered. Yes, maybe YOU can see better, but what about Joe Public coming towards you?

2. No-one has yet got over the inherent problem of the H4 bulb. In a REAL H4 (Halogen) the filaments are within mm of each other, and positioned EXACTLY where they should be for proper alignment, least light scatter, proper cutoff etc.

An HID lamp CANNOT have this precision. It is not yet, (and may never be) physically possible to position TWO HID arcs exactly where they need to be, so the HID manufacturers get around this either by moving a single arc, (not perfect as it needs moved DOWN as well as backwards), or in moving a shield over it.

BOTH methods rely on a single arc placed in BETWEEN the two optimum positions, so that neither dip, nor main beam is perfect.

And before anyone says that there is so much light that it doesn't matter, go back and re-read my first point.

Alcazar
Old 14 December 2007, 03:39 PM
ryn004
Scooby Regular

Installed HIDs on my morrettes. Only issue I have is that on coming traffic seem to find it too bright. I just think since they see a whiter light they assume its on bright because I don't see how it can be blinding.

Results: https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-o...lkthrough.html
Old 14 December 2007, 04:43 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by alcazar
I'm sure you're right about your kits, but you haven't addressed EITHER of the issues.

1. Scoob OE lights, esp those requiring H4 bulbs, are CRAP, and scatter light every which way. Putting uprated bulbs or HIDs in them just results in MORE light scattered. Yes, maybe YOU can see better, but what about Joe Public coming towards you?

2. No-one has yet got over the inherent problem of the H4 bulb. In a REAL H4 (Halogen) the filaments are within mm of each other, and positioned EXACTLY where they should be for proper alignment, least light scatter, proper cutoff etc.

An HID lamp CANNOT have this precision. It is not yet, (and may never be) physically possible to position TWO HID arcs exactly where they need to be, so the HID manufacturers get around this either by moving a single arc, (not perfect as it needs moved DOWN as well as backwards), or in moving a shield over it.

BOTH methods rely on a single arc placed in BETWEEN the two optimum positions, so that neither dip, nor main beam is perfect.

And before anyone says that there is so much light that it doesn't matter, go back and re-read my first point.

Alcazar
I've have run the H4 HIDs in my own car for over a year. I have not been flashed even once by oncoming cars.

Within the limitations of the OE headlamp unit, I don't think there is a better upgrade which comes close for the money.
  • You get far better visibility
  • Doesn't dazzle oncoming drivers
  • Passes MOT
  • Bulb units which last far, far longer than OE bulbs or uprated ones.

It's all well and good to highlight the limitations of the OE headlamp design, but what do you recommend? All for around £100
Old 14 December 2007, 06:06 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I've have run the H4 HIDs in my own car for over a year. I have not been flashed even once by oncoming cars. Is it a scoob? If so, I find this hard to believe..........unless you've got the lights turned right down. Sorry.

Within the limitations of the OE headlamp unit, I don't think there is a better upgrade which comes close for the money.
  • You get (far) better visibility Agreed.....my brackets
  • Doesn't dazzle oncoming drivers The jury is out.
  • Passes MOT Surprises me, since the cutoff, at least the ones I've seen, is crap. Do you have a tame MoT place? Mind, judging by some of the VERY poor lights out there, all with MoT's, It's perhaps not so surprising.
  • Bulb units which last far, far longer than OE bulbs or uprated ones. Agreed, but £100 buys a lot of bulbs

It's all well and good to highlight the limitations of the OE headlamp design, but what do you recommend? All for around £100
I DON'T recommend anyone to fit a "bodge" (since this is what ALL HID H4's are......NO REPUTABLE MANUFACTURER, PHILIPS, HELLA etc WILL TOUCH THEM), into an already poorly performing light unit. At best you'll have a compromise, at worst a possible MoT failure, prosecution, or an accident

I'm afraid you won't convince me otherwise, so we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Alcazar
Old 14 December 2007, 06:22 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

It's a hard thing to debate something with someone who hasn't seen the product first hand.

I'll ignore the bit where you question my honesty (not ever been flashed by oncoming cars).

RE MOTs....you seem to forget that we are not just talking about one set here. Not heard of ANY MOT failures for correctly fitted/aligned units.

You're most welcome to pop around and have a look at them fitted to my car (PM me for address). I can assure you that they are not pointing low and do not dazzle oncoming drivers. Some people need to see something for themselves before they believe...

Understandable when you've spent how much on your car lighting?
Old 14 December 2007, 08:25 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Wink

Understandable when you've spent how much on your car lighting?
£200 for a pair of Morettes that put light where it should be.
£600 for a pair of Hella 1000FF HID's, which will easily out-perform owt you've got on yours

The difference being that when I pay out for stuff like this, I want the BEST, and I've got it

Alcazar
Old 18 December 2007, 01:00 PM
help2003
Scooby Regular

Dont know what to add, I had morettes in my old scooby and found they where so crap on a night drive, it got to the point i didnt know they where on, So i bought a set of H7 HIDs from bob, to inprove the lights. Shame really because i was really shouting for theses HID, and they came 2days after i crashed the car, (no it was not in the dark lol).

Know i have another scooby, with the normal lights in and i think there H4 bulbs, and they are really crap again, I can see the side of the roads fine just not the middle bit. and i cant even install my HID kit as i bought the single bulb one, as i was going to install in the morrettes, and the normal light use a bi bulb,

So know matter what i do, they cant get worse lol, just need to find a nice set of lights with single h7 bulbs not bi ones.

Last edited by help2003; 18 December 2007 at 02:02 PM.
Old 18 December 2007, 01:52 PM
ryn004
Scooby Regular

Just noticed that the silver coating of the bulb has flaked off. I'm guessing its due to the heat of the HID. Does anyone know how I can remove the holder fromthe glass, and what chrome paint to use?
Old 18 December 2007, 02:18 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

I think they are sealed units, so need to remove from car and remove clips, then heat to split. Never done it myself.

HIDs run cooler than normal bulbs.
Old 18 December 2007, 02:23 PM
ryn004
Scooby Regular

then why would the chrome come off from inside? I noticed because one of the 4 lights looks black in daylight.
Old 18 December 2007, 02:32 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

4 lights?
Old 18 December 2007, 02:36 PM
ryn004
Scooby Regular

4 lights?
I meant 4 individual housings, ie 2 on each side.
Old 18 December 2007, 02:43 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Ah! You have Morrettes.

Could be down to the quality/age of the morrettes
Old 18 December 2007, 03:21 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Best at the moment (according to Auto Express), are Philips 80% uprated. Same wattage but 80% brighter.

Or try Halfords Super Brilliance in the gold coloured boxes, on BOGOF.

Alcazar
I thought it was GE 80% brighter bulbs they recomended well anyhow where shall I start. I have been there done that. I brought a HID kit for my H4 crystal Subaru Impreza headlights. And while at first the light output was a good 65%-80% brighter, the actual light hitting the road was poor, and I mean poor. So much light scatter, it was unbelievable. The beam pattern that actually HIT the road was NOT one continuous beam spread, but lots of segments (triangles) and that was just on dipped. forget about main/high beam that was non existent. So with a few talks with Alcazar, I put my money where his mouth was and removed my HID's and fitted the Halfords 50% brighter bulbs and I have not looked back. Then I fitted some PIAA driving lights (although would of liked to of fitted the 1000FF ) but they where a tad expensive but they are well worth the money from Alcazar's photos). I'll buy these for my next car.

Also what can help, is that get your lights aligned correctly. I had mine done and the mechanic showed me what he had done (align to MOT standard) and I asked him to drop the beam to the lowest level that was still MOT save, he did and they are now perfict!

So to sum up what I have said and most importantly is if you want to upgrade your impreza H4 bulbs and are thinking about HID's, is don't or think seriously and do your research properly before committing to buy.

There is lots of threads on here about bulbs so research.
Old 18 December 2007, 03:41 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Wink

Exactly what I said

Cue Bob to come on and refute what Chelspeed says too

Alcazar
Old 18 December 2007, 03:44 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

BOB I don't what you to think we are ganging up on you, but we have been there and done that. So perhaps Alcazar and I should come over to your in the new year and see for our selves on these HID's?
Old 18 December 2007, 03:46 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Did you get your HIDs fitted and aligned properly?

IIRC you got an autoelectrician to do your current setup?

That's one of the downsides of buying your kit from abroad, very little support.

When someone buys one of our kits we provide support and ensure they are happy with them.

I have H4 Bi HIDs fitted to my classic crystal headlamps. They are far better than uprated bulbs (been there, done that). Fit them incorrectly and they will scatter.
Old 18 December 2007, 03:55 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

You'll be most welcome.

As far as I can tell Alcazar has no first hand experience of these HID kits, and you struggle with DIY car electronics?'

I speak of experience of fitting several of these kits from scratch and rectifying some poorly fitted/aligned units. I have seen the effect of poor fitting/alignment and the results when rectified
Old 18 December 2007, 03:56 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Did you get your HIDs fitted and aligned properly?

IIRC you got an autoelectrician to do your current setup?

That's one of the downsides of buying your kit from abroad, very little support.

When someone buys one of our kits we provide support and ensure they are happy with them.

I have H4 Bi HIDs fitted to my classic crystal headlamps. They are far better than uprated bulbs (been there, done that). Fit them incorrectly and they will scatter.
BOB, my HID's where aligned correctly buy a MOT testing place.

No the auto electrician did not wire up my HID's as they were a plug and play jobbies. He wired up my PIAA driving lights as I am not competent in do so.

The HID's that I brought where from Alex GB last year.
Old 18 December 2007, 04:29 PM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

I went to Halfords and got the Super Brilliance bulbs, buy 1 get one free so worth a try for £18
Old 18 December 2007, 05:30 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Power Junkie
I went to Halfords and got the Super Brilliance bulbs, buy 1 get one free so worth a try for £18
You these babies

Old 18 December 2007, 11:13 PM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

Those are the ones Worth a try for that price, They are brighter so lets see how i get on with them.