HID probs

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2007, 12:17 PM
alanjack
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy HID probs

Hi,

I have just fitted HID kit to my Astra (56plate) I have wired them in just as I did on my Subaru (works fine) but the relay that comes with the kit only seems to hold in for a second then the lamps go out!!

Any ideas??

Cheers
Old 23 December 2007, 12:28 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Can you substitute another relay to see if the one you have is OK?

Alcazar
Old 23 December 2007, 01:58 PM
alanjack
Scooby Regular

I do have another one, I will try it. I have also tried using kit without relay and the lamps power up for about 10 secs then go out.

Cheers
Old 23 December 2007, 02:12 PM
alanjack
Scooby Regular

Put other relay harness in and same problem
Old 23 December 2007, 02:52 PM
R4LLY
Scooby Regular

Maybe a loose connection?....If not then it will be the ballasts...

Sometimes the ballasts are weak and will not be able to hold up the full power required, just go back to the vendor and get an exchange of ballasts.
Old 23 December 2007, 05:31 PM
alanjack
Scooby Regular

Swapped ballasts as well still the same. ( have two kits) I can try the ones off my subaru and see how that goes as I know they work, I can't see it being the ballasts but you never know!

I put the old halogen lamp back on and that works fine. 12v 35w H7.
Old 23 December 2007, 07:45 PM
R4LLY
Scooby Regular

Yeah try the Subaru one's and they should work fine if it's the ballasts, if not then go back to the vendor....
Old 24 December 2007, 09:34 AM
alanjack
Scooby Regular

Default Update

I have got them working, I have basically given the relay a permanent 12v supply via the battery with a remote swtich in the glove box. This is not ideal but gets the car useable for now, I can only assume the 12v the car puts to the lamp holder must drop out hence relay opens. I need to know is there any way of uprating the existing lighting relays?????

cheers
Old 24 December 2007, 11:27 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Sounds odd. Are there fuses in the original supply to the headlights? Perhaps the Astra has some kind of ciorcuit breaker rather than a fuse which drops out after a few seconds with the higher current the HID's use on start up?

If so then you'll need a permanent supply to the relays which sounds like what you've done on a temporary basis. Why do you need to switch it? If it's only supplying the input to the switched side of the relay then put a fuse in it by all means but don't worry about a manual switch. It's quite normal for these to stay live when the ignition is off. Provided the relay is man enough for the current (more than say 20A) and it's not in an area where it will get regularly soaked with water (splashes are OK) then it'll be fine.
Old 24 December 2007, 11:32 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Hi Alan,

Only just spotted this thread.

It won't be the ballasts. I suspect your car must detect bulbs being out and cut the power to them and the signal to the ballasts.

Just sent some resistors out for testing on a new car which also has same issue. Once we get the results back, I'll order some in and get them out to you.

Cheers,

Bob
Old 25 December 2007, 10:47 AM
alanjack
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chelspeed
Sounds odd. Are there fuses in the original supply to the headlights? Perhaps the Astra has some kind of ciorcuit breaker rather than a fuse which drops out after a few seconds with the higher current the HID's use on start up?

If so then you'll need a permanent supply to the relays which sounds like what you've done on a temporary basis. Why do you need to switch it? If it's only supplying the input to the switched side of the relay then put a fuse in it by all means but don't worry about a manual switch. It's quite normal for these to stay live when the ignition is off. Provided the relay is man enough for the current (more than say 20A) and it's not in an area where it will get regularly soaked with water (splashes are OK) then it'll be fine.
I need to switch it because the lights stay on permanently (fed straight off the battery (via a switch to break 12v).

Cheers
Old 25 December 2007, 10:48 AM
alanjack
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB'5
Hi Alan,

Only just spotted this thread.

It won't be the ballasts. I suspect your car must detect bulbs being out and cut the power to them and the signal to the ballasts.

Just sent some resistors out for testing on a new car which also has same issue. Once we get the results back, I'll order some in and get them out to you.

Cheers,

Bob

Nice one Mr Bob
Old 25 December 2007, 12:10 PM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

Bob id say ur right, the newer vx`s use this CBUS system, as you suggest it knows something isnt right and should try to put another light on to stop there being a problem(not sure how this works on the fronts), then it should tell you about it on the MID.