V9 WRX changing to V9 STI Optitron Instrument Meter Problems

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2008, 12:55 PM
shlim8
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V9 WRX changing to V9 STI Optitron Instrument Meter Problems

Hi

has anyone out there tried to put the optitron instrument panel/meter from a V9 STI (DCCD) onto a V9 WRX ??

Tried doing it and encountered the following problems:

1. The wiring connector on the left is longer on the V9 STI optitron instrument panel, the center and right hand side connectors fit (the 3 green connectors). Hence, I modified the wiring based on the color coding so that I am using the V9 STI left connector but connected to the V9 WRX wiring loom.

2. Major functions (eg fuel, water temp, rpm, speedo) work, but, the few major issues are:

a) warning buzzer comes on permanently (sounds like the warning buzzer when the headlight is still on after switching off the engine and open the car door)
b) dccd light and rear diff temp light on (expected since my wrx doesn't have these)
c) after switching on the headlights, the instrument panel lights do not dim (this might be related to a) above).
d) the "outside temp" reads 6 degrees permanently (with left connector plugged in and without) - no connection to the sensor ??

Any ideas on how to solve this ? I can't find a wiring diagram or connector pin description for the V9 STI and V9 WRX instrument panels.... It feels like I have only have a few wires left to sort out...

Help....

Last edited by shlim8; 23 August 2008 at 12:58 PM.
Old 23 August 2008, 05:25 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

The buzzer might be going off as the revs limit is set too low. That is changed by twisting the black stalk LH side. I think you twist it left and then the temp gauge will flash up the revs it will go off. Keep rotating the stalk clockwise until you get to the revs you want.

The clocks lighting is brightened up or down by the RH stalk on the steering wheel which controls the lights. There is a rotating dial on the stalk to roll back and forth.

Another test you want to see if is working is the RH stalk sticking out of the clocks. Pressining this and holding resets the trip meter. Quickly pressing and releasing switches between A and B trip meters.

HTH.
Old 23 August 2008, 06:28 PM
shlim8
Scooby Newbie

Hi,

I've already tried setting the rev to 6k. Still buzzing away.

I also don't get the opening ceremony, hence, I'm beginning to suspect the ignition on signal might not be connected right.

But this Optitron's wiring doesn't seem to be the same as the wiring diagram that I found for a 2006 STI. Not sure which model year is this V9 JDM STI Optitron from. Or maybe the wiring diagram is inaccurate.

Are you saying that the standard STI Optitron dim function is set by the dim switch on the light switch stalk ? On my wrx, all it does is to lower the intensity of the "Outside temp", odometer and clock (and not the rest of the instrument panel).

Any other suggestions ??

Last edited by shlim8; 23 August 2008 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Add missed out detail
Old 24 August 2008, 11:33 AM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shlim8
Hi,

But this Optitron's wiring doesn't seem to be the same as the wiring diagram that I found for a 2006 STI. Not sure which model year is this V9 JDM STI Optitron from. Or maybe the wiring diagram is inaccurate.

Are you saying that the standard STI Optitron dim function is set by the dim switch on the light switch stalk ? On my wrx, all it does is to lower the intensity of the "Outside temp", odometer and clock (and not the rest of the instrument panel).

Any other suggestions ??
People refer to 2003 JDM STi's as V9's for some reason. So I guess u need a manual for that year?

Yes the dim function for all the dash is controlled by the light switch stalk.

Try searching the net for a wiring diagram download.
Old 24 August 2008, 11:43 AM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Another thought, there is a light for the rear diff on the dash as well as there is a temp probe inserted in the rear diff. You won't have that either.
Old 24 August 2008, 11:51 AM
shlim8
Scooby Newbie

Is the dimmer function a switch or a variable rheostat on the STI ?

Mine's just a switch....

I've also been told by someone that pressing the odometer reset and twisting the rpm set stalks, will allow you to "on" or "off" the opening ceremony. IT doesn't work on mine, wonder if it doesn't allow you to do it when the buzzer is on ????

Are there any Optitrons without opening ceremony.

I've checked the STI Optitron was from a 2005/6 JDM STI with DCCD.

I managed to purchase a UK workshop manual from the web for the 2006 Impreza, but unfortunately, the wiring diagrams don't match that of my car nor the STI. And strangely, mine's a euro WRX !
Old 24 August 2008, 03:29 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

It's a variable rheostat like you say.

Whats Optitrons?
Old 25 August 2008, 02:53 AM
shlim8
Scooby Newbie

Optitron, the lighting used on the STI instrument cluster. In my part of the world, we loosely use the term Optitron to refer to the STI instrument cluster.

Looks like another area to fix, the variable rheostat. Sigh....