Notices

Light bulbs help please

Search this Thread

Old 06 November 2008, 09:59 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light bulbs help please

Right, as you may know the headlights (or bulbs used) on the 205GTi are shocking. Sorry it's not Scoobaru related.

Erm, don't have a lot of money, so I'd like some advice on what to replace them with. Wanna stay totally legal, just have a better quality of light, as I'm doing more dark driving. Obviously better for other motorists too as my car is graphite grey

Did a quick search on ebay and found these.

Any help would be appreciated, and I just wanted to change the dipped beam bulbs for normal night time driving.

Thanks
Old 07 November 2008, 01:28 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Don't waste money on e-bay bulbs Andy, most are of cheap manufacture.
Get down to Halfords and get some of their super brilliance in a gold-coloured box on BOGOF, the 50% uprated ones are pretty good and the 90% ones are supposed to be better but cost a lot more.
Old 07 November 2008, 01:37 PM
n one
Scooby Regular

Andy have a look on here

PowerBulbs - Upgrade Car Bulbs - Headlight Bulbs - Xenon Bulbs from Philips and Osram, including Philips Xtreme Power and Osram NightBreaker globes.
Old 07 November 2008, 01:45 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I asked over on the 205GTi forum last night and had a few replies also. A couple of which had used the same seller as I did, so I decided to give them a punt. They're Xenon headlight bulbs and got a pair of side light ones free. £7 inc. postage was ok I thought. If they are no good, I'll revert back to the old ones.

I'm not too keen on full HID kits due to questions over their legality, a member on here warned me about them

I thought the Halfords stuff was way overpriced Tanya? The Halfords here in Scunny is anyways
Old 07 November 2008, 01:52 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

So it is, but their BOGOF offer takes their price down to below most internet prices.
Be careful buying bulbs: a lot has been written on here by those who know a lot more than me, and even more by those who know a LOT less, but mainly, you need to go for one with a good optical performance, ie: the brightest/cheapest etc don't always perform the best.

The Halfords ones in gold boxes are made by GE, apparently, and perform well.
Old 07 November 2008, 02:13 PM
mbayley77
Scooby Regular

I went down the route of not being 100% legal with 100 watt headlight bulbs on my 205. I figured that due to the non reflective nature of the light itself the amount of light escaping from the headlight was no brighter than a standard new car. Never got flashed once but the view was much improved from the drivers seat
Old 07 November 2008, 02:16 PM
scooblube
Scooby Regular

I run 80/100's with no issues from other road users. Saying that I only do 300 miles a year

Trending Topics

Old 07 November 2008, 04:42 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Both of the above solutions are illegal on public roads, but hey............that's the user's choice. As stated, no-one is likely to even notice, let alone want to prosecute you.

What CAN be a problem is wiring: the standard headlight wiring is often not heavy-duty enough for the extra current drawn by higher wattage lamps, and the net result is either overheated wiring, or volts drop across the new bulb, rendering it a waste of money, or both.

That's where so-called "uprated", (as against higher wattage), bulbs score: they produce more light but draw the same current, so no wiring issues.
Old 07 November 2008, 10:20 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tanyatriangles
Both of the above solutions are illegal on public roads, but hey............that's the user's choice. As stated, no-one is likely to even notice, let alone want to prosecute you.

What CAN be a problem is wiring: the standard headlight wiring is often not heavy-duty enough for the extra current drawn by higher wattage lamps, and the net result is either overheated wiring, or volts drop across the new bulb, rendering it a waste of money, or both.

That's where so-called "uprated", (as against higher wattage), bulbs score: they produce more light but draw the same current, so no wiring issues.

Just checked, and the bulbs I have bought are rated 55w, same as the ones recommended in my 205 Haynes manual. I didn't wanna purchase much stronger ones, just get a better quality of light, so didn't mind spending a bit more.

Certainly wouldn't want 100w bulbs etc in the 205's wiring... it can be dodgy enough without extra current
Old 07 November 2008, 11:24 PM
Paul666
Scooby Regular

I ran 90/130s in a 1986 R5 GT Turbo and that does have bad wiring. Had the odd flash but nothing regular. Just put the Halford extremes upto 90% in a Galaxy, didn't rate them first off but they look to have become brighter after an hour. BOGOF so your looking at between £23 - 18 for the pair.
Thanks,
Paul.
Old 07 November 2008, 11:24 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Well it is French after all.....

Wasn't wiring optional in the 80's ?

LOL

DunxC
Old 07 November 2008, 11:53 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume it is H4.
I have tried almost everything on the maket from several of the most expensive PIAA, very disappointing, the latest Phillips and Osram, Rally bulbs with modified wiring 130/90 etc HID aftermarket, rubbish on full beam.
The best bulbs I have come across to date are General Electric GE +60%.
Old 08 November 2008, 10:05 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

As Tanya mentions Don't go for the cheapest you can get, bit like when you are buying tyres...you get what you pay for.

Also, buying the most expensive is not always best either. A good bulb that is to worki well need to be opticially aligned to create the perfict arch.

Auto Express did a test on H4 bulbs - Read Review of top 50 H4 Bulbs | Car H4 Bulbs | H4 Head lights | H4 Philips Bulb | Car Headlight Bulbs - which shows that the Halfords Super Brilliance 50% brighter bulbs where the best, probaby because they are made by a good company, GE or General Electric.
Old 10 November 2008, 05:41 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try these;

2 x XENON Mega White H4 12v Super bright Headlight Bulb on eBay, also Bulbs Lenses, Lights Lighting Accessories, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 12-Nov-08 20:00:00 GMT)

I've had them in various cars for over 8 years with only one failure!! Nice bluish white light as well