Notices

Alternator help needed

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2009, 10:19 AM
GreenShadow
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Alternator help needed

Greetings all and a belated happy new year to everyone!

I've had my ol' classic (MY96) now for over 7 years and the alternator just packed up for the 2nd time. I put a new one in Nov 2003. That one is now finished as well. Not sure exactly what is wrong but auto electrician suspects the regulator inside has gone. He is trying to get spares for it but says its very difficult to get spares for these alternators in South Africa. I've been dealing with him for years with all my other cars too and have no reason to suspect he is trying to con me. Genuine dude.

Anyone else had this problem with alternators not lasting? Its a Mitsubishi alternator which he says is a fairly good brand but still they don't seem to last.

Anyone done a Bosch conversion on a Scooby? I know the Bosch alternators are really good and spares are easy to find here. Do they make one to fit the Subarus?

In the same vein, I go through batteries almost as fast as oil. New battery every 1 to 2 years. Is that normal? Various brands to so can't even blame any specific battery either. Are Subarus just notorious for this sort of thing...?

Cheers
Neville
Old 07 January 2009, 09:54 AM
scoobian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first Ive heard of either problem: could be that the battery problem is due to an alternator problem
......new alternator should sort it, I reckon

(aaaaaah CT. nice place)